Search the forum,

Discuss Blocking Toilet Advice in the DIY Plumbing Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Hello,

I'm seeking advice on resolving the persistent blockage issues with my downstairs toilet. A year ago, I replaced an 80s close-coupled toilet with a more affordable model. This new toilet is a back-to-wall type featuring a concealed cistern within a separate unit. Since its installation, I've encountered intermittent drainage problems. The toilet drains slowly, struggles to clear all paper waste (following Thames Water's advice, solid waste is no longer disposed of in this toilet), and occasionally becomes completely blocked. I've noticed that after being away for a week, the toilet functions correctly for a few days before the issues reappear.

Thames Water inspected the situation and informed me that the nearly horizontal pipe under the house, which connects to the main drain, is prone to blockages. I suspect my previous toilet, with its larger flush capacity and possibly more efficient pan design, didn't have this issue. The new toilet's pan, lacking a smooth U-bend and featuring a flat ceramic section – a trait I've learned is common in less expensive toilets made in China – might be contributing to the problem. The installing plumber suggested upgrading to a higher-quality cistern, like a Thomas Dudley model.

I'm considering purchasing a 9-litre Thomas Dudley Mirage Concealed Low-Level Cistern and installing it as high as possible beneath the window, coupled with a new pan that has a more effective U-bend. However, I'm uncertain about which pans are of high quality and suitable for this setup. A local plumber's merchant was hesitant to recommend any specific cistern or toilet, believing it wouldn't resolve the issue and could be a waste of time and money. Yet, I'm convinced that the current toilet's flushing power is significantly weaker compared to others I've seen, and I'm running out of alternatives.

Could anyone offer suggestions on which toilet pan to choose or propose a better solution to this problem?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Was the new pan fitted with a flexible waste fitting?

I would first inspect the outlet from the pan and if necessary re-pipe it using rigid pipes.

Also get your drain rodded/cleared; if it’s ok for a few days after returning from a week’s absence- this suggest that there is a partial blockage in your waste pipes.

Reply to Blocking Toilet Advice in the DIY Plumbing Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock