Discuss Newbie after some advice in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

ablister

Hi, firstly been on this forum a while and been lurking in the background looking through all the posts, has made some good reading! I'm a novice so can't help anyone hence my low post count.

Anyway...

basically needing to put a new radiator in the bathroom and wanting some advise on how to drain the water from the system. It's an ex council flat i live in which has a back boiler. Can't appear to find a drain valve for the boiler

here are some pictures of my setup if anyone can be kind enough to tell me what i need to do (call a plumber?!)

P1030348.jpg

I have six radiators in the house, the manifold has 6 outlets, not sure if clear in this pic (mess was the leftovers from the council plumbers...). There are, i'm assuming, valves on the end of the manifolds, is this to carry out maintenance?
P1030352.jpg

the boiler is above the pump/zone valves etc
P1030349.jpg

Thanks in advance :)

Those valves on the ends of the manifolds look like drain off valves to me

I'd say they were isolation valves for the heating manifolds. Not seen them before, not really sure why you would need them tbh.

why dont you just isolate and drain down the rad that you want to replace. fit new rad and connect valves and bleed rad

Sometimes I have come across drain points poking through outside walls of a property. Not a good idea, I know.

why dont you just isolate and drain down the rad that you want to replace. fit new rad and connect valves and bleed rad

Thanks for reply, that's what I'm wanting to do but don't know how. Think of me as a beginner but want to learn for future diy tasks

Sorry if you mean the valves in each side if the rad, one side won't close, it just spins round. Plus wanting to Install a thermostatic valve and it's a different shape of radiator and the valves are wrong angle

You probably want to get a plumber in if you live in a flat think of you neighbours. You could flood them out

Sometimes I have come across drain points poking through outside walls of a property. Not a good idea, I know.
Why not a good idea ? use to be my hallmark.
BTW the two isolation valves for the manifolds are plug cocks (just like the type you may find on gas system) wouldn't think you would be able to turn them off.

Last edited:
On the first picture the vertical 22mm pipe before the pump is that the vent?

I had a customer had one freeze and burst right in the middle of that cold snap winter 2010. No boiler, no heating, no hot water.

Well must be a lot colder winters "up north" cos my old nan's one went in 32 years ago & still hasn't caused any problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Newbie after some advice in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello, I am seeking some advice, I have a POTTERTON PROMAX 28 COMBI Boiler and I noticed yesterday that the water around the house is no longer...
Replies
Views
Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two...
Replies
Views
I have had a look at previous posts and think I know the answer to this but just before I make it worse could I just check what you think about...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Hope you have all been keeping well. A while back I decided I only wanted to fit one brand of boiler and decided on Viessmann due to...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Back