Discuss JIB Do not recognise City & Guilds without NVQ in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guy. In a word yes !.

Not so sure about the lube though...
Prefer vanilla pmsl...:thumbup:

Plumbing and Heating isn't rocket science but inspecting jet engines is not far off it.

said with tongue firmly in cheek.

The idea behind the only recognised plumbing qualification (C&G 6189) introduced a couple of years ago was that it was an NVQ qualification i.e. you had to be working, not just a classroom test, you combined work based learning with college.

I am sorry EastLondon but you don't know much about Plumbing if you think that you can learn enough about the trade to hold a card & work on site from just a college course!!

The trouble is that so much revenue was being lost by the colleges that they campaigned to have the college only course re-enstated but it does not make you a plumber & never can no matter what they promise you & how much money you pay! Beware of the C&G 6035 !!

I feel for you but carrying out plumbing tasks in a college is in no way the same as doing it in the work place.

I don't know much about plumbing because i have a c&g? I started that course over 8 years ago whilst working as a plumbers mate. If you think 1 assessment is more powerful then 8 years experience then i think you don't know much about plumbing either!

seems your the one sheep walking in a different direction to the flock old son, common knowledge, you may have soldered a few pipes but you need a bit more experience than that to be honest

So 8 years experience is not enough then?

I don't know much about plumbing because i have a c&g? I started that course over 8 years ago whilst working as a plumbers mate. If you think 1 assessment is more powerful then 8 years experience then i think you don't know much about plumbing either!
The problem you have EastLondon is that you want a trade skills card that shows employers that you can work as a trained plumber, I have no doubt that with your 8 years experience you could do the job but for all that the employer knows, all you have ever done is the work in the college or worked on site only as a mate, you have no proof.

Whatever the rights & wrongs of the NVQ system, site inspection visits (minimum of 4) are made & evidence is collected across a range of work areas to ensure that you have the skills to carry out all work that a plumber could be expected to do. The plumbing employer group decide what this range should be, it is most certainly NOT 1 assessment.

You can judge for yourself what I do or don't know about plumbing but what I do know about is the need to have an NVQ in plumbing, something which you didn't find out about 8 years ago.

Last edited:
The problem you have EastLondon is that you want a trade skills card that shows employers that you can work as a trained plumber, I have no doubt that with your 8 years experience you could do the job but for all that the employer knows, all you have ever done is the work in the college or worked on site only as a mate, you have no proof.

Whatever the rights & wrongs of the NVQ system, site inspection visits (minimum of 4) are made & evidence is collected across a range of work areas to ensure that you have the skills to carry out all work that a plumber could be expected to do. The plumbing employer group decide what this range should be, it is most certainly NOT 1 assessment.

You can judge for yourself what I do or don't know about plumbing but what I do know about is the need to have an NVQ in plumbing, something which you didn't find out about 8 years ago.

8 years ago i knew about it but was advised that the c&g was a recognised qualification. You are right about having the proof with the nvq. Now city and guilds have introduced a craft certificate. I was doing an apprenticeship with my course but they have not recognised that also.

I was learning from work and using that to take to college and knock out all the practical work, not using college to take to work. Soon as i had any cert saying plumbing i never looked back. College never taught me a thing. I suppose the NVQ is a good idea for proof, if i would of known 8 years ago i would of done the NVQ and not even bothered with the c&g

8 years experiance maybe, would you feel comfortable having a van (right now) and doing whatever mad situation throws at you upon the front door opening..

The correct spelling is experience not experiance. And i ran my own business with my own van up until a year ago and did emergency call out work also.

I did the level 2 6129 plumbing which covered sheet lead using bossing sticks wedges etc. Which was discontinued. But had to do all the practical in the college 1st 2nd fix bathrooms ,soil pipe installation, air testing, guttering, open vented hot water systems, services valves isolation, etc. But ok a port folio was made as we progress. But at the end I'd say it's what you and yourself make of it.
With a foot in the door. It doesn't mean you aren't a qualified plumber
NVQ I think is quality, but you'd always be bargaining to keep a good rate and pay in most places, and are likely down the hill .. say I'm happy fortunately to work with a qualified gas engineer with C+G 6129

I did the level 2 6129 plumbing which covered sheet lead using bossing sticks wedges etc. Which was discontinued. But had to do all the practical in the college 1st 2nd fix bathrooms ,soil pipe installation, air testing, guttering, open vented hot water systems, services valves isolation, etc. But ok a port folio was made as we progress. But at the end I'd say it's what you and yourself make of it.
With a foot in the door. It doesn't mean you aren't a qualified plumber
NVQ I think is quality, but you'd always be bargaining to keep a good rate and pay in most places, and are likely down the hill .. say I'm happy fortunately to work with a qualified gas engineer with C+G 6129

I also have the 6129. You do cylinders also. The NVQ is not to long to get anyway, the c&g with all the exams and portfolio takes a lot more time. NVQ is a pretty quick thing, i don't know how it works these days but plumbers iv worked with got it in one day (around 2005)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to JIB Do not recognise City & Guilds without NVQ in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

• Article
A Plumber Who Worked Illegally Gets A Suspended Sentence After Falsely Claiming To Be Gas Safe Registered. A Plumber in Herefordshire was...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Hope you have all been keeping well. A while back I decided I only wanted to fit one brand of boiler and decided on Viessmann due to...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock