Search the forum,

Discuss How to solder vertical joints in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Best

Esteemed
Plumber
Subscribed
Have a laugh at this video teaching you how to solder a vertical joint properly.
Amazing how some people are so confident and think they can use their expertise to enlighten others.
Seems I have been doing it all wrong. :smile:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cHjFOTGueQc

Last edited:
Wouldn't you start at the top and let the solder run down the inside of the fitting?

Cooling it and knocking it like that will make it leak!

I didn't realise you had to use "sodder" And I've been using solder all this time!

and he used too much "sodder" as well, which he needed to do as he had melted all the flux

I'm not sure what this teaches us?

Other than not to solder like this

I could teach a drunk chimp to 'sodder' better than that in about 30 seconds. It's embarrasing how proud he sounds as well!

I think the trouble is you guys have not realised that he is doing American soft soldering, not at all like the British kind, completely different.

As we all know Americans do everything bigger and better than anyone else.

I think the trouble is you guys have not realised that he is doing American soft soldering, not at all like the British kind, completely different.

As we all know Americans do everything bigger and better than anyone else.

Yeh, a lot bigger snotters running down pipe for a start!!

I know he was talking as he was going but once he turned his torch on, if it'd been hot enough, that should have been a 15 second operation. Way to make a meal of that!

He could have brazed that coupler with that heat!! He must go through lots of solder, I bet he wonders why he still gets leaks lol!

hahaha that is hurrendous soldering. Thanks for the video mate. Certainly made me chuckle!! haha

hahaha that is hurrendous soldering. Thanks for the video mate. Certainly made me chuckle!! haha

I just had to share the video! I also had to laugh when I saw it. I expected him to at the very least clean the joint up a bit & give it a final touch of heat. He definitely broke that joint as he give it a good battering as he prodded it.

Only in America. Why on earth would you feed the solder from the bottom.

I like how the pipe wasn't even pushed into fitting fully and then it drops in as he starts heating it lol.
2:09 incase you missed it

Last edited:
I like how the pipe wasn't even pushed into fitting fully and then it drops in as he starts heating it lol.
2:09 incase you missed it
Yeah I spotted that. Flux must have bound the pipe in the fitting till it got hot. Powerflow flux grips pipe something awful sometimes almost to the point of not being able to assemble the joint. Never had it happen with laco,but I prefer how Powerflow makes the solder run.
I think he must have been trying to make a point or illustrate capillary action at work by feeding from the bottom, either that or hes a moron. With most of these you tube vids you would think filming was really expensive as no one seems to re shoot there vids if they poop it. If you watched that vid back surely you would think "well that was kak better do it again" have to assume he thought it was great or didnt watch it after shooting it.

Last edited:
I think he must have been trying to make a point or illustrate capillary action at work by feeding from the bottom, either that or hes a moron. With most of these you tube vids you would think filming was really expensive as no one seems to re shoot there vids if they poop it. If you watched that vid back surely you would think "well that was kak better do it again" have to assume he thought it was great or didnt watch it after shooting it.

He actually wiped it (more accurately, broke it) and then proudly showed it to the camera all around the joint with the solder still run down the pipe. He obviously hasn't a clue. He could have started soldering that joint in a few seconds with all that heat from his propane torch.
An occasional dab of flux on end of solder wire would help solder it better & show if solder is at melt point IMO.
People should all give a comment to his video.
Although frankly most plumbers can't solder properly

Last edited:
haha knew this was going to be american! Sodder , do you think if "solder" was written out for them they would still say sodder?, like what part of the L dont they get?!

Applying the solder at the back is a good sign. He did that joint perfectly. No fuss, no waving the torch about, a nice quick application of solder at the right point. Note how he made the whole video in the time the American guy took to just heat the pipe!

What do you guys use as a guide to say you've used enough sodder per joint...when you visibly see that the solder has capillary'd around the whole fitting or amount of solder? I tried using diameter of fitting as a guide for a while but found it was too much...15mm of solder for a 15mm fitting etc.

I always do vertical soldering from round the back then you can see it ring around the front

What do you guys use as a guide to say you've used enough sodder per joint...when you visibly see that the solder has capillary'd around the whole fitting or amount of solder? I tried using diameter of fitting as a guide for a while but found it was too much...15mm of solder for a 15mm fitting etc.
I don't have a guide. If you have 5-6 joints to solder at once then how would you measure that? Just do it by feel and eye.

You could put kinks in the solder, each kink approximate to the length/amount you want to use.

You could put kinks in the solder, each kink approximate to the length/amount you want to use.

Lol! Your joking right? Why would there be a need to. Use your eyes. When you have a silver ring it's done. I get a feeling your not a plumber pal

Here's his Part 1 video.
This dude is full of flux!!! It's just painful!!!

[video=youtube;tUaHQwCK_ls]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUaHQwCK_ls[/video]

He doesn't get any better! He still is "Sod ering"
What a long time to solder two joints of a 22mm tee! And it is a mess.
The idiot didn't solder the branch because it is vertical - and he has the cheek to say it risks a bad joint!
Funny bit is he called an " instruction video " ! :smile: Silly Soder.
In my opinion he should also have moved the flame around a little - especially as he had plenty of room. Using the flame hard on one spot of the fitting risks a hot spot not soldering as flux burns away & not even heat.

Last edited:
An English demo of end-feed soldering whilst on the job:

https://www.************/cityplymplumbing/posts/535464623276294

I'm not ashamed to admit this, but I've never seen soldering done like this - I was taught to run the solder all around the joint and use about a diameter worth of solder.

I know I'm not great at soldering, I think there is a skill to getting it right .. goddamn it his joints look amazing! So after you've heated the pipe you just hold the solder in one spot and let science )capillary action) do its thing? I'm DEFO gonna try that!!!

As for the yank - blow me even my joints don't have bogies like that!! Biggest greenies I've EVER seen in m'life!

I'm not ashamed to admit this, but I've never seen soldering done like this - I was taught to run the solder all around the joint and use about a diameter worth of solder.

I know I'm not great at soldering, I think there is a skill to getting it right .. goddamn it his joints look amazing! So after you've heated the pipe you just hold the solder in one spot and let science )capillary action) do its thing? I'm DEFO gonna try that!!!

As for the yank - blow me even my joints don't have bogies like that!! Biggest greenies I've EVER seen in m'life!

Remember that capillary action will take place no problem if heat is enough all around the fitting and flux is there. While solder can stay liquid it will go all around the inside of joint.
I still believe in doing minimum of each side of a fitting or whole way around it, just to be sure.
I prefer to use a rag to wipe the joints on leaded solder, but with unleaded it is harder to do & I try to be careful just getting it spot on first time. On Yorksire fittings you are really just supposed to gently heat them until a neat ring of solder appears. Guess most of us add a bit of solder. Habits are hard to break.

Remember that capillary action will take place no problem if heat is enough all around the fitting and flux is there. While solder can stay liquid it will go all around the inside of joint.
I still believe in doing minimum of each side of a fitting or whole way around it, just to be sure.
I prefer to use a rag to wipe the joints on leaded solder, but with unleaded it is harder to do & I try to be careful just getting it spot on first time. On Yorksire fittings you are really just supposed to gently heat them until a neat ring of solder appears. Guess most of us add a bit of solder. Habits are hard to break.

Do you/anyone brush a bit of flux around the fitting once you've applied the solder? The guy I shadowed does it and his joints are always neat and leak free - but when I tried it a couple times I think I end up making holes in the solder and then have to redo it :/

Do you/anyone brush a bit of flux around the fitting once you've applied the solder? The guy I shadowed does it and his joints are always neat and leak free - but when I tried it a couple times I think I end up making holes in the solder and then have to redo it :/

normally about 10-15 secs after soldering saves wire wooling it after-wards

normally about 10-15 secs after soldering saves wire wooling it after-wards

Ahh, I think I've been doing it too soon then, soon as I've put the solder on I turn off my torch and brush the flux over it..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to How to solder vertical joints in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Show us your fanciest radiators you've installed! We would love to see them! I love this Milano vertical radiator in the kitchen space. What do you think?
Replies
Views
Copper pipes, I think its fair to say, is not what it used to be, the copper is getting thin while the cost is going up. Meanwhile, plastic Pushfit seems to be getting better and better, cost and convenience was always better, but now the quality is to, have we reached a stage where plastic will...
Replies
Views
The left rear floor corner is highest (the shower pan touches/sits on the floor), sloping down diagonally to the front right corner (lowest). The front right corner shim is 5/8", the left front corner is 3/8" shimmed, with shorter shims under left middle and right rear corner. The pan perimeters...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16 mm copper water pipe. I exposed the pipe by removing a ~30cm section of the plastic sleeve and a ~10 cm section of the pipe around the hole. Several...
Replies
Views
Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two hole mixer but the cold water pressure is high mains fed and the hot is low pressure immersion tank fed. I've been trying to find info on what I...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock