Discuss How to solder vertical joints in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Only in America. Why on earth would you feed the solder from the bottom.

I like how the pipe wasn't even pushed into fitting fully and then it drops in as he starts heating it lol.
2:09 incase you missed it

Last edited:
I like how the pipe wasn't even pushed into fitting fully and then it drops in as he starts heating it lol.
2:09 incase you missed it
Yeah I spotted that. Flux must have bound the pipe in the fitting till it got hot. Powerflow flux grips pipe something awful sometimes almost to the point of not being able to assemble the joint. Never had it happen with laco,but I prefer how Powerflow makes the solder run.
I think he must have been trying to make a point or illustrate capillary action at work by feeding from the bottom, either that or hes a moron. With most of these you tube vids you would think filming was really expensive as no one seems to re shoot there vids if they poop it. If you watched that vid back surely you would think "well that was kak better do it again" have to assume he thought it was great or didnt watch it after shooting it.

Last edited:
I think he must have been trying to make a point or illustrate capillary action at work by feeding from the bottom, either that or hes a moron. With most of these you tube vids you would think filming was really expensive as no one seems to re shoot there vids if they poop it. If you watched that vid back surely you would think "well that was kak better do it again" have to assume he thought it was great or didnt watch it after shooting it.

He actually wiped it (more accurately, broke it) and then proudly showed it to the camera all around the joint with the solder still run down the pipe. He obviously hasn't a clue. He could have started soldering that joint in a few seconds with all that heat from his propane torch.
An occasional dab of flux on end of solder wire would help solder it better & show if solder is at melt point IMO.
People should all give a comment to his video.
Although frankly most plumbers can't solder properly

Last edited:
haha knew this was going to be american! Sodder , do you think if "solder" was written out for them they would still say sodder?, like what part of the L dont they get?!

Applying the solder at the back is a good sign. He did that joint perfectly. No fuss, no waving the torch about, a nice quick application of solder at the right point. Note how he made the whole video in the time the American guy took to just heat the pipe!

What do you guys use as a guide to say you've used enough sodder per joint...when you visibly see that the solder has capillary'd around the whole fitting or amount of solder? I tried using diameter of fitting as a guide for a while but found it was too much...15mm of solder for a 15mm fitting etc.

I always do vertical soldering from round the back then you can see it ring around the front

What do you guys use as a guide to say you've used enough sodder per joint...when you visibly see that the solder has capillary'd around the whole fitting or amount of solder? I tried using diameter of fitting as a guide for a while but found it was too much...15mm of solder for a 15mm fitting etc.
I don't have a guide. If you have 5-6 joints to solder at once then how would you measure that? Just do it by feel and eye.

You could put kinks in the solder, each kink approximate to the length/amount you want to use.

You could put kinks in the solder, each kink approximate to the length/amount you want to use.

Lol! Your joking right? Why would there be a need to. Use your eyes. When you have a silver ring it's done. I get a feeling your not a plumber pal

Here's his Part 1 video.
This dude is full of flux!!! It's just painful!!!

[video=youtube;tUaHQwCK_ls]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUaHQwCK_ls[/video]

He doesn't get any better! He still is "Sod ering"
What a long time to solder two joints of a 22mm tee! And it is a mess.
The idiot didn't solder the branch because it is vertical - and he has the cheek to say it risks a bad joint!
Funny bit is he called an " instruction video " ! :smile: Silly Soder.
In my opinion he should also have moved the flame around a little - especially as he had plenty of room. Using the flame hard on one spot of the fitting risks a hot spot not soldering as flux burns away & not even heat.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to How to solder vertical joints in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock