Search the forum,

Discuss Google Nest Central heating control how to improve? in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

I have a home with an oil boiler in a garage turned into a flat, heating both flat and main house, running c plan with two pumps, two motorised valves simple bi-metal thermostat on wall in flat with 4 standard TRV's rarely used so not worried about the flat, and main house has Nest Gen 3 in the hall and 1 standard TRV in shower room, a thermo syphon towel rail in bathroom a cistern connected to same thermo syphon supply and 9 programmable TRV heads 5 x eQ-3, 3 x Energenie, and one Kasa. All electrics are either battery of supplied from a UPS in the flat where the boiler is, there is no 230 for control in main house, just the 12 volt to the Nest wall thermostat.

I was told that Nest worked with Energenie but it seems support was withdrawn when it became Google.

My problem is a cool living room, clearly the TRV's can only work when the boiler is running, and the hall seems to change what heat it calls for depending if cool or darn cold outside. So if cool and I set Nest to increase temperature through day at 0.5ºC every 2 hours all seems to work A1, but on a cold day living room remains cold and boiler is cycling, However on a cold day if I set hall thermostat to 20ºC in morning then again living room OK but with same setting on a cool day the heating turns off due to hall too warm.

I have turned hall radiator TRV down so wall thermostat continues to work, but it shows 16ºC when set at 15ºC and radiator cold, clearly heat getting into hall from other rooms, cats don't help as doors left cracked open or cats claw at carpet.

I think some where there is a hidden by-pass valve, as any attempt to set the lock shield valves boiler cycles and no radiator getting hot, but return to boiler is hot, pump and motorised valve is on the return.

It seems likely best option is a second thermostat in parallel, clearly would need to be wireless. Ideal would be one which will link to TRV heads, or at least some way to fire boiler if living room cold.

I have been in house 4 years, and noted the temperature sensors released for USA Nest and hoped would be released for UK Nest but as yet no sign. I see there was a thermostat from tapo which is also part of TP-Link as well as Kasa and interconnection between the two seems to increase every month, so maybe I can get a thermostat to work with Kasa, the Energenie thermostat is not wireless so is out.

I already have zigbee for lighting, so maybe Hive is an option, but not sure if my zigbee hub will work, so maybe better with Wiser in parallel with Nest, the DHW is only heated with oil in winter, no control in summer use the iboost+ and heat with spare solar.

It would be nice to have internet control on second thermostat, so if cost internet v non internet is small worth paying extra,, but a wireless thermostat which is cheap then that's a cheap quick fix.

I can't get new wires flat to main house, so must be wireless, wiring at moment is C_Plan_My_HouseD-relay.jpgI can run main house without flat due to relay, but not the other way around, but since never likely to want flat heated and not house, never fitted a second relay.

Reply to Google Nest Central heating control how to improve? in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Every two weeks or so I have to go and top up the system because the hot taps are running cold. Boiler display is flashing 0.6 bar and I fill up to 1.3. I've had an engineer look inside the boiler and he can't see anything wrong. I've checked the pipes all over the house and cannot see any...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold then would get hot water most of the time. Changing the flow cartridge about 2 years ago (when I moved in) solved this problem enough to suffer it as...
Replies
Views
We are from Alberta, and I own an electrical company. I have been asked by a BC Mechanical P. Eng. to install an emergency STOP button at the man-door to the boiler room. It's intent is to 'halt' the operation of the boilers in the room should there be an emergency. He is demanding that I do...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock