Search the forum,

Discuss Hassle free payments in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

helpsy

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Looking forward to taking payment with my new card machine...less messing about chasing.

Sometimes getting money off people can be an absolute nightmare. Anytime i do a homer now I make sure I get half the price upfront then if half way through the job they start acting the :nono: you have at least some money and can refuse to finish the job etc. Least with half the price in your pocket you've got some platform to argue back with.

If only everything was hassle free eh lol.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sometimes getting money off people can be an absolute nightmare. Anytime i do a homer now I make sure I get half the price upfront then if half way through the job they start acting the **** you have at least some money and can refuse to finish the job etc. Least with half the price in your pocket you've got some platform to argue back with.

If only everything was hassle free eh lol.

Aye, that's the way we work it now materials + a wee bit up front then the balance on completion :)

I don't take ANY money up front regardless of job until customer is happy.

I don't take ANY money up front regardless of job until customer is happy.

That good mate, I'd love to be as trusting as you but unfortunately not all customers are perfect. I've lost a fair few £ in the near 3 years I've been going due to guys going bust or just plain being cheap and not wanting to pay. :)

Looking forward to taking payment with my new card machine...less messing about chasing.

maybe so, maybe not
The problem is though, someone's gotta pay for these card charges,
either you or the customer, so someone is paying more than they need to.

If your paying, all these charges add up, along with your other overheads,
and if you've got more cash going out, than's coming in, your finished

lets say it's a 2.75% charge, on a £2500 boiler change job that's nearly £70,
it's a hefty amount

25 years in business and i've never had any of these cards, but each to there own.

It is only the way of the world as people are either too stupid or just go with the flow ?
No one is having 2.5 percent of my nothing just like they will never get council tax rent or utility bills out of me anymore !
We all ride the treadmill but you really can get off if you want !

It is only the way of the world as people are either too stupid or just go with the flow ?
No one is having 2.5 percent of my nothing just like they will never get council tax rent or utility bills out of me anymore !
We all ride the treadmill but you really can get off if you want !

Lol
And how will you manage that one

I already do !
Not had a house for coming up 7 years !
Did not choose that way but have realised you enter this world with nothing and you will leave the same way nothing is surer than that ?
Is there any prize for the richest man in the grave yard ?
Seen all the guys work their guts out to make it then not have a chance to enjoy as dead at 51 Then you get the others that employ their oxygen thief kids who think the world owes them a living ?
Had my boy working in the summer he was bored after 10 minutes creosoting a fence so told him put on the radio get in the zone and dance as you paint if you have to or go sit in the van all day up to you sunshine ?
The lad worked his guts out and would not even et us help with the high bits so maybe taught him something ? I hope

Last edited by a moderator:
maybe so, maybe not
The problem is though, someone's gotta pay for these card charges,
either you or the customer, so someone is paying more than they need to.

If your paying, all these charges add up, along with your other overheads,
and if you've got more cash going out, than's coming in, your finished

lets say it's a 2.75% charge, on a £2500 boiler change job that's nearly £70,
it's a hefty amount

25 years in business and i've never had any of these cards, but each to there own.
The charges are 14p per debit card transaction, regardless of spend, so obviously I absorb that. Credit card carries 1.19% plus you're allowed to recoup 0.8% toward costs(private customers) business 1.99% plus 0.8% on total spend(passed onto customer).
the way i look at it, it costs me £31 a month which is less than an hours labour a month, no banking to do and no chasing, it's a no-brainer as far as I can see IMO.

I'm the same, never take money up front, unless it's special order stuff that can't be put on account.

If I don't trust someone, I just put in a stupid price. I think Iv only given up on 1 payment in 5 years.

I never used to take oayment upfront on bigger jobs like bathrooms. But then the last but one customer died on me owing a substantial chunk. Now looks like I need to wait for probate. ...around six months.

Upfront or at least stage payments for anyone over the age of six is now mandatory.....;)

It's the way of the world now thou. Also gives customer more flexibility with paying. As they can use their credit card

And 2.5% is better than nothing

Credit debit cards are old school all payments will be via app or phone before long.

I already do !
Not had a house for coming up 7 years !
Did not choose that way but have realised you enter this world with nothing and you will leave the same way nothing is surer than that ?
Is there any prize for the richest man in the grave yard ?
Seen all the guys work their guts out to make it then not have a chance to enjoy as dead at 51 Then you get the others that employ their oxygen thief kids who think the world owes them a living ?
Had my boy working in the summer he was bored after 10 minutes creosoting a fence so told him put on the radio get in the zone and dance as you paint if you have to or go sit in the van all day up to you sunshine ?
The lad worked his guts out and would not even et us help with the high bits so maybe taught him something ? I hope

So where are you living rent free, council tax free? What's the secret?!

I went 10 years never getting stung then had a customer telling me I could sing for 90 k that brings tears to your eyes I can tell you !
Wait until you get bigger and work for architects and builders !

So where are you living rent free, council tax free? What's the secret?!
It is not a secret just needs a bit of thinking outside the box !
I would rather burn my money than pay rent for a house I neither want or need ?
As for people who decorate or call a rented house home that is just beyond me !
Even if you buy a house you are no more than a caretaker for now as most houses will be here long after you have gone well maybe not the new ones ! lmao

You could use that philosophy with any object in life. Why have you wasted money on a computer to be on this site if you can't take it to your grave?

Never been a fan of camping myself.

Yes true and I do admit I still like some consumer products I wish I could really dump the lot but something keeps me attatched to bits and bobs !
Latest one is torches ! lol
Was motorbikes years ago and have done the tool bit too had to have the latest gadget and best toys !
Went a bit far when I bought a telescopic handler !
Done the mini excavators and dumpers too !
Boats too !
Those v 8`s Used to drink about £250 in fuel for a days playing 10 years ago I hate to think of the cost today ?
Think at last count 50 brand new motors of different kinds all need cleaning though so takes the fun away ! lmao

My perception is the opposite to yours, I'd rather spend on a house than a car. In 40 years time my house will be worth more to my kids inheritance than your car. All of what we spend money on is how we make our lives more comfortable and enjoyable before the inevitable! How we all to choose that is up to the individual, mine would be hookers and class A's if I thought I could get away with it... Yeehah!

My perception is the opposite to yours, I'd rather spend on a house than a car. In 40 years time my house will be worth more to my kids inheritance than your car. All of what we spend money on is how we make our lives more comfortable and enjoyable before the inevitable! How we all to choose that is up to the individual, mine would be hookers and class A's if I thought I could get away with it... Yeehah!
Best you take out a power of attorney now and hand the house over to the kids ?
Well that ok as long as they can prove they really are paying all the bills ?
You also need to pay them rent .
Your house is nothing more than a savings account for your local authority unles you are wealthy enough to pay your way in your old age ?

I used to work for the very wealthy and not one of them owns their own house ! It is all trust funds and all my paynents came from foreign banks and offshore trusts !
Mr and Mrs average will lose the lot !

I used to work for the very wealthy and not one of them owns their own house ! It is all trust funds and all my paynents came from foreign banks and offshore trusts !
Mr and Mrs average will lose the lot !

Gulp
I think I've been had

Basil do you really live in a tent? My one and only dream in this life is to own my house. Something to leave my boys so they can have it a bit easier

Old school. Yet you say "will" be the future

Make your mind up!

What is old school and what us new

Bearing in mind. My customers are here today. Not next century!

Almost all of my customers pay by direct transfer or to my company phone number through apps like barclays pingit. I wrote "will" simply because I know not all customers out there will do this but that is the way payments will go. Debit cards and credit cards are not going anywhere just yet but they are old school technology.

Remember they were ditching cheques rapidly....well they're still here for the moment.

Remember they were ditching cheques rapidly....well they're still here for the moment.

Only as long as the old dears in their 70's are still with us once that generation kicks the bucket the cheques will go with them.

I always ask how a customer will be paying at the quote stage. If it's a cheque they are going to be paying more for our services due to the long wait for cash, hassle of going to the bank and the risk of a rubber one. When I explain this, very few customers still want to pay by cheque.

So they do technically own it. Even if the company is offshore?

Of course they do not own it !
The trust or family or like you say company owns it they do not pay tax and it is not part of their estate !
some even have their own banks !

I have several adresses I use for post and you are right I am not on electoral roll .

Basil do you really live in a tent? My one and only dream in this life is to own my house. Something to leave my boys so they can have it a bit easier

Not quite a tent a bit posher than that but you are close !
I do not use campsites and yes I have heating and a shower etc .
The idea of leaving a house is great but my plans went wrong and my house was lost in a divorce due to my thinking I was being clever and putting in ex wifes name to avoid death duty so kids got it .
Ex went bankrupt on day of divorce hearing !
Mothers house that she always wanted us to have will now be in hands of council as she would not either sign over to us or do a power of attorney so now lost that too !
Most of my friends parents have handed their houses over to kids years ago as many of them owned several houses !
Your house really is a fund for the local authority unless you sort it years before
We all think it cannot happen to us but it can and had I not stepped in mother would be sitting in a home right now wearing nappies as they told us she was incontinent after 2 days in a care home to recover from a fall !
Sad thing getting old and even sadder as all she wants is to die as she knows her home is going to go to the day I cannot deal with her any longer !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Hassle free payments in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Morning to any Australians lurking around! Register its free, then message me, I'll sort your account out for you. We will need a moderator from each main country too. I'll post this in the Australian forum now.
Replies
Views
Hi All, I am looking to take my bath out and fit a shower. Regards to tanking. Is it ok to just seal everything with plastic rather than just paint tanking slurry? Thanks in anticipation, best regards Staggers
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Hi guys....we have an old Astracast sink top....I think its a composite sink....has a big single bowl. My wife thinks it looks scruffy....looks ok to me.....sound but the bowl has seen a lot of work. So she wants a new one...Astracast it seems are no more. The problem is its size.....looked...
Replies
Views
  • Article
A Plumber Who Worked Illegally Gets A Suspended Sentence After Falsely Claiming To Be Gas Safe Registered. A Plumber in Herefordshire was prosecuted after Hereford Trading Standards Team found that he was falsely claiming to be on the Gas Safe Register when he was not, putting members of the...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock