Search the forum,

Discuss Grips and adjustables in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

wetdrip

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Why use grips and adjustables rather than dedicated spanners?

Can you imagine carrying dozens of spanners around

Yes, see that, but for compression and rad work, why not?
It's only a few.

I have this for 15 and 22 compression fitting but the nuts are often different sizes. Carry as little as possible
31o6Nr6c9nL._SX300_.jpg

I have this for 15 and 22 compression fitting but the nuts are often different sizes. Carry as little as possible
31o6Nr6c9nL._SX300_.jpg
I bought this a few weeks ago on the recomendation of someone and was bit dissapointed as its really slack fit on 15 and 22 nuts , i bought the monument one , possibly the nuts are smaller , god knows , it tightens nuts but when i need real leverage its just not tight enough,
Is your one ok scott or do you find this aswell, , n what makes yours ?

I love my footprints,

$_1.JPG

Mine is also monument. It depends on the fittings, its usually good on 15mm but not always on 22mm

footprints every time for me as well youngsters dont like them as there is no shiny chrome or flashy coloured handles although i have moved on to thumbturn ones for the 7 inch ones

Another one for footies. I've got various sizes. Different sized shifters and a couple of pipe grips. Love my footies.

footprints every time for me as well youngsters dont like them as there is no shiny chrome or flashy coloured handles although i have moved on to thumbturn ones for the 7 inch ones

Totally agree the wee 7 thumb turn is great

i find the nine inch thumb turns seem to spread around the thumb turn hole and twist
lots of youngsters struggle to get the idea that they only work one way and give up on them for pump plier types not appreciating the self locking action when used correctly
although have to admit i have a small pair of the pliers with the orange handles and release on the back which i also like

Last edited:
I've got my dad's old footprints - the traditional type with the screw you take out to adjust them. Love them but don't keep them in my toolbox in case they get lost or stolen.

I don't know what to say. Use right tool for right job. If you used footprints on chrome I would hit you. If you tried adjustables on iron I may hit you. If you used grips on a boiler I would hit u.

i use normal spanners on alot of things but you have to have your adjustables as the nuts on many fittings vary so much. 24mm fits most 15mm nuts, 32mm fits about 50% of 22 nuts. 16mm will put most modern rad tails in, some need a 15mm. 17mm will tighten most sanitary hanging bolts. 8mm most doc's and you always need a 10mm spanner for alot of things like cistern bolts.

as for footys, i like them over stilleys but mine got robbed when me van was done over 2 months ago and i have yet to replace them.:(

QUOTING kris ........" Spanner" tightens nuts but when i need real leverage its just not tight enough,

Ground my first attempt smaller than 22 , even at 21.5mm still gets sloppy , I'm sure modern fittings go oval if squeezed between flats of spanner !

Last edited:
I'm like masood i have also have a pair of my dads old footys, with an extra hole drilled in to take off immersion heaters..... Not that i change many elements these days

I don't know what to say. Use right tool for right job. If you used footprints on chrome I would hit you. If you tried adjustables on iron I may hit you. If you used grips on a boiler I would hit u.

So basically you just want an excuse to hit people? :D

So basically you just want an excuse to hit people? :D

I thought it was a very productive post.

My original point is , why not use a tool that is desiged, machined to tolerance for a nut so it actually fits the nut, rather than turn a wee screw to adjust, squeeze to grip then turn.

Last edited:
No excuse needed . I'm a vegan so I don't like to hurt or be cause of harm to animals so I use apprentices

I used to think the same. What's unnatural is how factory farmed animals and genetically "improved" and treated in farms. What's un natural is that 70% of the worlds crops feed 20% of the humans on it.

What's unnatural is that a life cost less than a bunch of bananas!

I'm not stupid enough to lecture as you need to realise not be told but

10million turkeys slaughtered in UK last year . 400,000 died on way to slaughter - data from defra!

I buy all my meat from my local butcher who sources his meat from reputable suppliers. I've worked for him and a few of his suppliers so I'm satisfied there's no factory or intensive farming going on. The animals lead a happy and contented life up until they become food.

I'm square with my conscience.

31o6Nr6c9nL._SX300_.jpg
I have that one but like you said fittings are often not standard enough. The same manu makes a pump valve nut spanner, its a beast but you only have to show it yo a pump valve and it lets go.

I have that one but like you said fittings are often not standard enough. The same manu makes a pump valve nut spanner, its a beast but you only have to show it yo a pump valve and it lets go.

I've got a couple of them. My mates I work with call it ''The Irish Spanner''

That's one way of teaching your apprentices :tounge_smile:

I've got my eye on some footprints but I use bahco adjustables (I actually don't like them) and stanley fatmax grips which I bought to replace a pair of Irwins I left at a custards house. I actually really like the fatmax grips, they're comfortable and have a push button to adjust the size which is handy when only have one free hand! I also have a rothenberger adjustables which aren't too bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Grips and adjustables in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi guys. I'm trying to identify a toilet model before ordering a seat for a customer. I went to what used to be a Roca stockist (they no longer are) and one of the guys there reckoned it might be "The Gap". I went to the new stockist and the guy there disagreed it was "The Gap" and that he'd...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi All I have a leak coming from within my Mira Elite QT shower. It seems to be flowing from behind the switching Control. Any ideas what could be causing this leak. Already Changed the Pump Elbow as one of the clips had popped which was causing a second small leak, Any idea? Is it time to buy...
Replies
Views
IS IT POSSIBLE TO ADJUST THIS MIXER UNIT? WE HAVE TO HAVE IT TURNED ALMOST FULLY ANTI CLOCKWISE TO GET HOT WATEROUT. THE FRONT PLATE WITH MIRA ON IT PRISES OFF AND INSIDE THERE ARE SOME PLASTIC BITS AND A SMALL CROSS-HEAD SCREW IN THE MIDDLE. THANKS
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock