Search the forum,

Discuss getting my c & g plumbing and heating and nvq 2 in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

danielclark

Hi all

i have just been offered a possition as a plumbers mate with a plumbing and gas installer. He has asked for me to try and saught my c & g nvq level 2 plumbing and heating qualification out. i found a "15 Day City & Guilds Plumbing, Bathroom Fitting and Heating Systems Course" on Plumbing Training Courses in Staffordshire and Wolverhampton in the West Midlands
now i know this course isnt gonna give me any where near enough experience but as i stated i am doing it for the qualification and will get more than enough experience whilst at work. so what my question is: has any one had any experience with this training center and do they give a full city and guilds certification and nvq 2 at the end of it.

city and guilds is an awarding body, just because it says C&G doesnt mean much in itself mate. there are many low level C&G courses, you could say you have a C&G but that doesnt mean its recognised. What you need to consider is the qual not the awarding body, many people/centres will use the term C&G to give credibility. the NVQ is awarded by, yes you guessed it C&G.

what you need to know is the nvq is the equivilant and recognised qual that was the same as the old C&G craft and advanced craft not the tech cert which is what i presume you mean by saying C&G

thanks for the reply. sorry im not quite sure what you are saying, i may have read it wrong but seemed like you was trying to say i dnt need a city and guilds plumbing and heating certification only the nvq 2. i need to get the qualifications through and intensive course as i jus dnt have the time or money to go through the long process of collage. if you have any good advice or test centres thats well worth looking at id appreciate your help. some of them seem to be extremly expensive.

thanks

you will have to do a 6129 city and guilds at collage , then either at same time (i would ) you will do the nvq level 2 (6089) qual
you then do the city and guilds level 3 6129 and the level 3 6089 nvq , stafford collage do plumbing the plumbing quals are all changing so it will be differnt but all in all going to collage will take you about 4 years,

6129 is the tech cert and the 6089 is the nvq, both are C&Gs and you need units from both to achieve the 6089 C&G NVQ. you can however just do the C&G Tech cert but this is not recognised as a full qual unless you upgrade it to the C&G NVQ 6089

however all these are on their way out and being replaced by the 6189 which is a C&G NVQ diploma

oh so i may as well go straight for the 6189 then. do they do an intensive course for that as i either need do nights or intensive. im in essex do you know any gd places around here?

its a very big course so your unlikely to do it intensively, if you do youll just skip over everything and learn very little

you also need to be working in the industry

in my opinion no intensive course is all that good, you will be learning at a fast pace and will not be able to retain all the information that is fired at you. i would say that the minimum that you should be looking at would be 18 months upwards.

hmmmmmm ill be working on boilers in couple of months, im jus trying to get a couple of the neccesary qualifications under my belt, in 12-18 months i wanna be going for my gas

i do understand that, im doing it more for the qualification than anything as ill learn most of it on the job

youll be working on boilers? supervised i presume, if you think you can get all the quals and necessary experience in 12-18 months then your sadly mistaken

yes supervised. u dnt neeed them all to go for ur gas. the main ones you need are the city and guilds 6129 and nvq level 2

im not arguing im stating that obviously the more qualifications you have the better but to become gas registered you only need what i jus said as i have a friend who has taken that rought and is now gas registered.

i have joined as i dnt know very much about this subject and ive explained im gonna be working with a qualified gas registerd fitter and wont have the time or money to go collage and am looking for any advice you more qualified people have to offer and any ways i can do it without it costying a fortune. im not dumb i do know these intesive courses arent the best roughts but i dnt have much choice

im not arguing im stating that obviously the more qualifications you have the better but to become gas registered you only need what i jus said as i have a friend who has taken that rought and is now gas registered.

im sorry but this is incorrect, you dont need any quals to do your acs

That course means nothing 2 weeks lol
The level 2 is not what can take you on to the nvq
IMHO it's a waste of money
You can't possibly take and fully understand all that in 2 weeks

How much is this fast track course ? have herd of some people paying stupid amounts !! then quals they get not worth paper they are on.

wow i have said im doing it for the qualification notr to learn ill be learning all day long with my boss. its £700 m8, i know what you meen some charge thousands. i may not even do my nvq now as im gonna build a big portfolio for proof of what i have done and know. then once im ready im gonna go for my gas.
im gonna say this one more time so every one understands, i am not looking for some magicc course thats gonna make me fullly qualified in 2 weeks, i will be doing the course and then working as a fitters m8, picking up and learning all i can. reading the books that are used in collages to learn at home and getting plenty of practical practice and knowledge at work.
i hope this clears up this matter of people telling me im not gonna be qualified cos of a course because i know this.
thnaks dan

why does it meen nothing? its a city and guild paper and will be given a city and guild certification at the end of it which i fought was a recognised certificate. im getting well confused lol sorry

why does it meen nothing? its a city and guild paper and will be given a city and guild certification at the end of it which i fought was a recognised certificate. im getting well confused lol sorry

What they mean is that any future employer will only be interested in employing you if you have your full NVQ and not just your c&g tech cert.

ok well my problem there is, i will only be dealing with boilers and heating and a nvq covers more than that so how will i get around this?

Hi all

i have just been offered a possition as a plumbers mate with a plumbing and gas installer. He has asked for me to try and saught my c & g nvq level 2 plumbing and heating qualification out. i found a "15 Day City & Guilds Plumbing, Bathroom Fitting and Heating Systems Course" on Plumbing Training Courses in Staffordshire and Wolverhampton in the West Midlands
now i know this course isnt gonna give me any where near enough experience but as i stated i am doing it for the qualification and will get more than enough experience whilst at work. so what my question is: has any one had any experience with this training center and do they give a full city and guilds certification and nvq 2 at the end of it.

You said he was a plumbing and gas installer. Does he only do boiler installs then? Otherwise sounds like you might benefit from a plumbing qual too.

You potential boss had said he'd like you to get your NVQ level 2. There you go. Your mission is simple. If you want to do what he says you need to get your Tech Cert and then your NVQ. There are training centres offering fast track courses where you can get your tech cert in as little as 12 weeks. Your NVQ is then assessed on the job.

However, since you have not got much money perhaps college would be a better route - more time to be working with your boss rather than in a training centre, much cheaper and a better thought of route.

If your boss wants you to have the quals asap then you need fast track. But you won't be available to work with him much.

ok well my problem there is, i will only be dealing with boilers and heating and a nvq covers more than that so how will i get around this?

Are you sure it'll only be boilers and heaters? No rad installs? No basic maintenance?

sorry yes boilers and rad installs, my mistake. i dnt really mind how i do it but i jus bit confused on how im gonna do it. in march i will have to work full time. my boss wants me to get my tech cert and nvq 2 as this will help me in the future. i think i have 2 roughts either go night classes in a collage which i have been struggling to find or go for a fast track course which i am more than happy to do but not so happy spending 4000+ on it. i am happy to do the fast track course any where in the country if you know any good ones and value for money. if i do the collage route ill need it be in essex vacinity and next prob is most collages seem to want you to have grade c's and above. any help is appreciated.
thanks dan

Q` if you only want to work on boilers and not to intrested in the plumbing side ! have you thought about trying for employment with one of the boiler manufacturers ??

na i havent i am a ceiling and partition fixer by trade but my friend is giving me a gr8 opportunity to get my foot in the door doing boilers etc he is looking to get his commercial in gas next year and wants to give me the same opportunities he has had

Good for you ! I would still think about ringing around the boiler manufacturers, you will get good training and the best part is they pay for it all, Commercial good move , consider haveing a go at Oil . I would have gone down this route if I was younger.

i understand what your saying but i think this rought is gd as i will be getting 1000 take home a month already been agreed as i have experience with flues, cutting out coreholes and can do the bracketing. within 6 months i should be getting a pay rise. my plan at the moment is to jus get the necessary certifcates and do my nvq, then get my gas saughted. after that i will see what other roughts i can go down. do i need a tech cert to get my nvq? or would i be able to do a portfolio and an onsite nvq 2 ?

why dont you phone the collages in your area my collage course was 1 day a week for 2 years (level 2 tech cirt) and then at same time do ya nvq level 2 then if you want do your level 3 tech cirt and level 3 nvq , at least you will also get a lot of knowledge from collage and from working ,

You need to look at that c&g cert from that course it won't lead on to an nvq

hi, the course you linked to will not help you at all. its way too basic and does not lead to the NVQ as has allready been said
there are only two options, quick way, cough up £££££'s for quick 12 week intensive to get 6129
then do NVQ2 with your employer as your portfolio workplace recorder. then followed by gas

or college over years getting the same qualifications but much more useful experience.
ask your new employer what he is actually expecting

if you have problems with college wanting grades you havent got get in touch with them and tell them your situation

as you say this is a fantastic offer that many are struggling to get at the moment so dont blow it by
trying to by-pass the route you should be taking.

good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to getting my c & g plumbing and heating and nvq 2 in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock