Hannah

So am really confused about what's the difference between flux's :mad2:

Can anybody tell me? :smiley2:

Hannah x

So am really confused about what's the difference between flux's :mad2:

Can anybody tell me? :smiley2:

Hannah x

Laco is easy peasy

Power flow is better imo but it gets to work as soon as it hits the copper and make it hard to get 15mm fittings on sometimes.

They're the only ones I've used

Laco is for men, power flux is for diyers, ever flux stings too much in a cut. And then there's this....
image.jpg

Everflux is the best but you need to be careful as it is very corrosive. If you drop any it will eat it's way through the earth's crust and down to the centre of the earth where it will cause a reaction and the entire globe will go up in a puff of vapour. That's why it's important to use dust sheets.

Laco makes your fingers smell worse than the others. Laco also seems to get into your clothes.

ones a yellow tub, ones a black tub with red cap, ones a white tub with blue cap, ones a metal tin with pinkish label.

theres alot of differences :)

All of them Hannah. It's very much a personal thing. I like Powerflow because I've always used it.

Mike likes everflux because it creates tectonic chaos.

And Ray likes the ones that make his pockets jingle.......

laco is kinder to your hands, but it still stings when getting into a cut i found that out yesterday

Everflux and laco are both active fluxs that clean the joint for soldering, everflux is always active where as laco is only active when heat is applied. We use to just use laco for gas installs because it shouldnt corrode ( just look horrible when not cleaned properly ) but then they realised we had used everflux for years with no problems so why bother!

from memory fluxs that are only active when heated should be used on gas pipe work as unable to flush wether laco or powerflux are I have no idea can anyone advise

from memory fluxs that are only active when heated should be used on gas pipe work as unable to flush wether laco or powerflux are I have no idea can anyone advise

The fact you couldnt flush and it wasnt ment to be active, but I have seen what laco looks like after a while as I use to always use it and its not good. Now have to use ever as ordered by the firm, took a while to get use to it.

some are thicker, some abit runny.
Some smell bad, some destroy your lungs (la co)
some burn in a cut, ever-flux tempts you to cauterise the wound with a blow lamp.
None of them are good for your skin!

basically buy a small tub of each one and have a go using them.

decide which one you like to use best.

i use everflux.......that's mainly down to pts cocking up an order and feeling the need to give me a box of it......

Centerbrand flux is fernox power flow. Used to use laco, then went no frills heat activated now just stuck with bumcenter now. Does job cleans off easily with damp wet rag.

LaCo for me but everything works. No need to clean the fitting with LaCo imho

I remember shouting at an apprentice flux doesn't clean fittings you do. That's the way forward wool or pad shine that mofo. On class E always sand more that insert so u can verify it's been rubbed before cleaned and glued.

Bless him. I've never bothered unless it's an old fitting from the bottom of the van.

U apply flux to inside of fitting with end of solder too? Apposed to outside with a brush? Wipe it down or green ur favourite colour? Being cheeky not implying your rough!

Last edited by a moderator:
Only to pipe. Don't usually use have any old pipe or fittings so it's not a worry. A little heat on the pipe if no abrasive to hand. Pressure tested to 150% and that's good enough for me.

I have used all of the main 3 listed above. La-Co works fine but leaves the solder black when the pipe is cleaned off and it is thicker in consistency so I think you end up with more in your fittings.
Powerflo is my personal preference doesn't discolour the solder leaves it bright and shiny and is easier to see when you spread it on. I don't know if I got a duff batch of everflow but every time I opened the tub it seemed to get more liquid started to separate like cottage cheese, still worked mind and I think some sites prefer it because it is supposed to be easier to flush out but that could just be hear say as I have seen no evidence.

Have u ever had Yorkshire fittings get flux bound. Flux it all up and assemble, but one fitting won't rotate or come off? It was fine before flux too!!!!!! End up with hands covered in flux and slipping all over?

Yes and its never when you want one stuck while you solder, those just happily drop off your pipe while heating.

hi there, worked on the flight traffic control in swanwick and thats all we used . i did the 3 tank rooms

...and just to add to the list of fluxes, - I use grease based fluxes - mainly the Fluxite one but also the very similar Yorkshire Traditional flux.
They are fairly non aggressive, although should be wiped off with damp cloth later. Fittings & pipes need cleaned though by right prior to soldering. Can burn a bit if you overheat a fitting but the results are perfect joints. The leaded solder especially on end feed fittings will flow really well. I use these fluxes tbh because I have always used them, but also I know they do a professional job. The more aggressive active fluxes like Everflux will save you cleaning much & therefore you will earn more I guess. Laco I might try as it is non toxic I believe.

Last edited:
Used only Powerflow for years and last week was giving a small 50g tub of Laco, this week I just bought a 475g tub of..........Laco.
At the end of the day they all do what they say on the tin.

I know what you mean there with that one. I have always used Yorkshire flux (mainley cos I robed loads of it at an old firm) Sadly ive run out now and have had to buy some (my god its a cost i have never had to incur before, my prices are going up lol) i have just bought some La Co today and used it on my own CH sytem that I have just put in at home. I will be inspecting the joints good and proper tomorrow now. I was confused though about which one is best, and after reading this post I still am :(. I think I do prefer Yorkshire though. We was banned from using Power Flow at one company as they had a spate of pin holing on new pipework.

Have u ever had Yorkshire fittings get flux bound. Flux it all up and assemble, but one fitting won't rotate or come off? It was fine before flux too!!!!!! End up with hands covered in flux and slipping all over?

hannah, dont worry, you will get used to the whichever one you use at college and probably just stick with that, or you will find an employer and use what he/she does.

something to bear in mind though with rising solder prices is that more plumbers are using the cheaper leaded solder on all non-potable applications powerflow flux (the yellow tubs) is specifically for lead free solder as it is allegedly to aggressively corrosive for leaded solder

hannah, dont worry, you will get used to the whichever one you use at college and probably just stick with that, or you will find an employer and use what he/she does.

something to bear in mind though with rising solder prices is that more plumbers are using the cheaper leaded solder on all non-potable applications powerflow flux (the yellow tubs) is specifically for lead free solder as it is allegedly to aggressively corrosive for leaded solder
if lead free solder gets anymore expensive we would never use leaded on cold water would we :thinking:.its like everything else in this country - they want use to eat healthy but chips are cheaper than a salad -they want us to use leadfree but its nearly 3 times more expensive its mad

Are there any fluxes that wont turn your fingers green?

All of them if you wear gloves. I wish I hadn't been so macho in my younger years and worn gloves and knee pads. Hindsight is a wonderful thing, I stopped wearing trainers about 15 years ago after I trod on a nail and ended up in casualty, I wish I'd extended it to all of the PPE.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Flux in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two hole mixer but the cold water pressure is high mains fed and the hot is low pressure immersion tank fed. I've been trying to find info on what I...
Replies
Views
Recently had a Viessmann Vitodens combi boiler installed, quite often when the adjacent cold mixer tap is opened the boiler starts for a few seconds! Can anyone tell me what is causing this? And how to cure?
Replies
Views
Hi. I need a new toilet supply line but don’t know the size type of the fitting at the shut off valve. It is not 3/8 compression. It is a plastic nut about the same size as the one going into the cistern but has a different thread. Attached is a photo. Can you advise. Thanks.
Replies
Views
Hi all. Hope you have all been keeping well. A while back I decided I only wanted to fit one brand of boiler and decided on Viessmann due to space for servicing and changing parts if ever needing to. I am finding my decision rather hard due to the different clearances on flue runs and cupboards...
Replies
Views
We are from Alberta, and I own an electrical company. I have been asked by a BC Mechanical P. Eng. to install an emergency STOP button at the man-door to the boiler room. It's intent is to 'halt' the operation of the boilers in the room should there be an emergency. He is demanding that I do...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock