Discuss Flux in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bless him. I've never bothered unless it's an old fitting from the bottom of the van.

U apply flux to inside of fitting with end of solder too? Apposed to outside with a brush? Wipe it down or green ur favourite colour? Being cheeky not implying your rough!

Last edited by a moderator:
Only to pipe. Don't usually use have any old pipe or fittings so it's not a worry. A little heat on the pipe if no abrasive to hand. Pressure tested to 150% and that's good enough for me.

I have used all of the main 3 listed above. La-Co works fine but leaves the solder black when the pipe is cleaned off and it is thicker in consistency so I think you end up with more in your fittings.
Powerflo is my personal preference doesn't discolour the solder leaves it bright and shiny and is easier to see when you spread it on. I don't know if I got a duff batch of everflow but every time I opened the tub it seemed to get more liquid started to separate like cottage cheese, still worked mind and I think some sites prefer it because it is supposed to be easier to flush out but that could just be hear say as I have seen no evidence.

Have u ever had Yorkshire fittings get flux bound. Flux it all up and assemble, but one fitting won't rotate or come off? It was fine before flux too!!!!!! End up with hands covered in flux and slipping all over?

Yes and its never when you want one stuck while you solder, those just happily drop off your pipe while heating.

hi there, worked on the flight traffic control in swanwick and thats all we used . i did the 3 tank rooms

...and just to add to the list of fluxes, - I use grease based fluxes - mainly the Fluxite one but also the very similar Yorkshire Traditional flux.
They are fairly non aggressive, although should be wiped off with damp cloth later. Fittings & pipes need cleaned though by right prior to soldering. Can burn a bit if you overheat a fitting but the results are perfect joints. The leaded solder especially on end feed fittings will flow really well. I use these fluxes tbh because I have always used them, but also I know they do a professional job. The more aggressive active fluxes like Everflux will save you cleaning much & therefore you will earn more I guess. Laco I might try as it is non toxic I believe.

Last edited:
Used only Powerflow for years and last week was giving a small 50g tub of Laco, this week I just bought a 475g tub of..........Laco.
At the end of the day they all do what they say on the tin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Flux in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

M
Hi, I'm hoping you can tell me the main differences between: Mira Digital Activate Shower & Mira Digital Platinum Shower and also the main...
Replies
Views
Can anyone please tell me where I might purchase a 90° bend 15mm x 22mm Isolating Valve Thanks and Regards. Hugh
Replies
Views
How can you tell the difference between white pvc and ABS if the pipe has been cut in a way that doesn’t show the pipe details.
Replies
Views
Hi all! I'm in the process of fitting a replacement undersink water heater in my shed and, as advised in the instructions (yes, I know, what am I...
Replies
Views
Hello, i'm doing some heatloss calculations, going by a fairly old plumbing book. The formula for calculating heatloss would be Surface Area x...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock