Discuss Flux in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know what you mean there with that one. I have always used Yorkshire flux (mainley cos I robed loads of it at an old firm) Sadly ive run out now and have had to buy some (my god its a cost i have never had to incur before, my prices are going up lol) i have just bought some La Co today and used it on my own CH sytem that I have just put in at home. I will be inspecting the joints good and proper tomorrow now. I was confused though about which one is best, and after reading this post I still am :(. I think I do prefer Yorkshire though. We was banned from using Power Flow at one company as they had a spate of pin holing on new pipework.

Have u ever had Yorkshire fittings get flux bound. Flux it all up and assemble, but one fitting won't rotate or come off? It was fine before flux too!!!!!! End up with hands covered in flux and slipping all over?

hannah, dont worry, you will get used to the whichever one you use at college and probably just stick with that, or you will find an employer and use what he/she does.

something to bear in mind though with rising solder prices is that more plumbers are using the cheaper leaded solder on all non-potable applications powerflow flux (the yellow tubs) is specifically for lead free solder as it is allegedly to aggressively corrosive for leaded solder

hannah, dont worry, you will get used to the whichever one you use at college and probably just stick with that, or you will find an employer and use what he/she does.

something to bear in mind though with rising solder prices is that more plumbers are using the cheaper leaded solder on all non-potable applications powerflow flux (the yellow tubs) is specifically for lead free solder as it is allegedly to aggressively corrosive for leaded solder
if lead free solder gets anymore expensive we would never use leaded on cold water would we :thinking:.its like everything else in this country - they want use to eat healthy but chips are cheaper than a salad -they want us to use leadfree but its nearly 3 times more expensive its mad

Are there any fluxes that wont turn your fingers green?

All of them if you wear gloves. I wish I hadn't been so macho in my younger years and worn gloves and knee pads. Hindsight is a wonderful thing, I stopped wearing trainers about 15 years ago after I trod on a nail and ended up in casualty, I wish I'd extended it to all of the PPE.

Flux is like cigarettes...we all have our own brand we prefer. I like La-co.

Be boring if we all used the same, oh and maybe three times as expensive as no competition :)

i like everflux, mostly because there is not one hell of a mess on the brush after using it like laco ond the others! everflux is much more solid in the pot! , but i love the powerflow yellow tubs ( the ones the same size as a coke can ish) to keep stuff in the van once i give them a clean out, i keep olives and stuff in them! as the writing says on the everlfux pot ......" best flux in the world" !!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Flux in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

M
Hi, I'm hoping you can tell me the main differences between: Mira Digital Activate Shower & Mira Digital Platinum Shower and also the main...
Replies
Views
Can anyone please tell me where I might purchase a 90° bend 15mm x 22mm Isolating Valve Thanks and Regards. Hugh
Replies
Views
How can you tell the difference between white pvc and ABS if the pipe has been cut in a way that doesn’t show the pipe details.
Replies
Views
Hi all! I'm in the process of fitting a replacement undersink water heater in my shed and, as advised in the instructions (yes, I know, what am I...
Replies
Views
Hello, i'm doing some heatloss calculations, going by a fairly old plumbing book. The formula for calculating heatloss would be Surface Area x...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock