Search the forum,

Discuss Flue for old atmospheric boiler in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Don't think it's an issue with gas safe relaying the info, it's probably people (like me) forgetting.

I haven't had to use the warning system since qualifying so I guess it's easily done.

What is the process for Gas Safe relaying such information? Our tutors told us they put out technical bulletins on their website, do they also post or email them out, or do they have an equivalent of a trade magazine?

Thought that might be the case, its bonkers as that would be a really easy win for them, especially at a time when they're under the spotlight (iirc only last November Gas Safe were on Watchdog).

It’s wrong it’s another contract to the highest bidder who then have no obligation to actually clean up the industry. That’s the problem with all these government tendered contracts there’s never any incentive be it financial or punitive to complete on time or actually achieve things

It’s wrong it’s another contract to the highest bidder who then have no obligation to actually clean up the industry. That’s the problem with all these government tendered contracts there’s never any incentive be it financial or punitive to complete on time or actually achieve things

Yep that's true, but even when they have done contracts with so incentives/disincentives (e.g. probation services) its still not driven up standards to an acceptable level. Part of the problem is there's literally only a handful of companies that are large enough to take on these big contracts, so you end up with a quasi monopoly on the go. Capita didn't get the nickname Crapita for no reason, yet they keep being awarded government contracts... I also personally think that when it comes to regulatory bodies there should be no profit motive involved.

That would definitely help, at least it would make it harder for them to treat tradesmen, who have no choice but to register, as cashcows. Not convinced it would help from an enforcement & raising standards perspective however.

Small steps I think mate it’ll start with everyone going with the cheapest option then as the punters start to see what’s on offer it will come down to the company that offer the best service

My concern with that set up is that if there are multiple bodies, each will have slightly different takes on enforcement, rules&regs, CPD... it will muddy the water further imo.

I think considering the public safety aspect, the government should be setting aside a budget that is adequate to ensure that a) there is significantly more enforcement/inspection b) there is good quality support for gas engineers, including training/education & decent communication (it wouldn't be that hard or expensive for them to email/post tech bulletins when they come out to everyone on the register) rather than just a reassessment every 5yrs. It would take some political will however, which as always is sadly going to take a major catastrophe to kick them into doing something.

Problem is mate that at the moment there is zero enforcement. Multiple organisations all following the same remit could at least prove they have teeth or not

Yep, totally agree about current state of affairs, just think the fastest, fairest & most effective way to changing it would be a decent budget provided by the government that is a) solely for enforcement b) has to be used c) effectiveness assessed (would be good to have input from gas safe members on this) with loss of contract if not adequate.

But it would take a lot of political will, with that missing, then yes your option is probably the next best.

Any idea how sparks feel about their multi body set up?

Sorry bit harsh but if it is working correctly Craig, as we have to assume it has been for all this time it can't be ID.
It would have to be spilling for that.

And for those who think it should be condemned because of how hot the liner is likely to get clearly have not touched a nice bit of single wall stainless or enamelled especially on a solid fuel appliance !!

What's with the dislike @chris watkins :(

Probably because you clearly have not read the procedure.
Personally, if you were to overstep your remit, and wrongly condemn my boiler, depriving my family of heat and hot water, I would be looking at suing you.

EDIT: Composed and posted this as Chris was doing so. Too many guys have no real understanding of the basics.

Different point of view:

What's the efficiency on the boiler? 50%

I guess your gas bill is about £800/year? That's £400 up the chimney a year.

A new system boiler in the same spot with a powerflush, controls etc and a 12 year guarantee would cost ???

Do the math. How long until it pays for itself?

Different point of view:

What's the efficiency on the boiler? 50%

I guess your gas bill is about £800/year? That's £400 up the chimney a year.

A new system boiler in the same spot with a powerflush, controls etc and a 12 year guarantee would cost ???

Do the math. How long until it pays for itself?

It is not that different. My first post made a similar comment.

Yep, totally agree about current state of affairs, just think the fastest, fairest & most effective way to changing it would be a decent budget provided by the government that is a) solely for enforcement b) has to be used c) effectiveness assessed (would be good to have input from gas safe members on this) with loss of contract if not adequate.

But it would take a lot of political will, with that missing, then yes your option is probably the next best.

Any idea how sparks feel about their multi body set up?
I am GS and a NAPIT registered sparky.

My electrical works are inspected annual onsite and I have to show certs, calibrations etc and answer questions to an assessor. This is good in my opinion.

There is a lot of snobbery amongst the different elec bodies. NICEIC think they are the best and many times they win jobs purely by name.

The electrical forums can be brutal.

Should GS be split into more bodies? Not sure. People still think we are CORGI....

I am GS and a NAPIT registered sparky.

My electrical works are inspected annual onsite and I have to show certs, calibrations etc and answer questions to an assessor. This is good in my opinion.

There is a lot of snobbery amongst the different elec bodies. NICEIC think they are the best and many times they win jobs purely by name.

The electrical forums can be brutal.

Should GS be split into more bodies? Not sure. People still think we are CORGI..

That sounds like a much better way of doing things, with a bit of political will and some extra funding should be possible to make GS do the same.

Was there a similar setup before it was multi body (or has it always been multi body, don't know much about the world of Sparkys)? Is there the same inspection regime irrespective of which trade body you are with? Also what are your fees like compared to Gas Safe?

Good point re corgi lol

That sounds like a much better way of doing things, with a bit of political will and some extra funding should be possible to make GS do the same.

Was there a similar setup before it was multi body (or has it always been multi body, don't know much about the world of Sparkys)? Is there the same inspection regime irrespective of which trade body you are with? Also what are your fees like compared to Gas Safe?

Good point re corgi lol
I think the inspection regime is fairly similar across the sparks schemes. I honestly don't know the difference in prices because I haven't looked into it. Sparkles generally pay for way for certs than we do (thanks to the boiler manufacturers)

I am not sure if GS should be split. However, we are GS members should be able to hold GS toes to the fire and conversely the other gas bodies. In theory. I think there is some power in the numbers. Thino of the American unions....

I regards to GS and sparky fees....honestly I don't k ow off the top of my head. You pay your fees if you want to play this game....

Sorry bit harsh but if it is working correctly Craig, as we have to assume it has been for all this time it can't be ID.
It would have to be spilling for that.

And for those who think it should be condemned because of how hot the liner is likely to get clearly have not touched a nice bit of single wall stainless or enamelled especially on a solid fuel appliance !!
Yeah I've looked into this for my own knowledge and the example of unsafe situations in tb001 classes incorrect use of flue liner (e.g exposed) is only ncs, given how that is not official any more, apart from telling the customer it's wrong, nothing else should be done, is that right?

Probably because you clearly have not read the procedure.
Personally, if you were to overstep your remit, and wrongly condemn my boiler, depriving my family of heat and hot water, I would be looking at suing you.

EDIT: Composed and posted this as Chris was doing so. Too many guys have no real understanding of the basics.
Someone sounds grumpy o_O

Just like the GSR engineer reported to OP Steve, I would expect that the report he can no longer find went something like - "That flue on your boiler is not correct sir, a flue liner has been used in place of the correct twin wall flue pipe which should have been used between the boiler & the chimney above". "Now I have had a quick look & I can see no signs of spillage from the boiler / flue so it looks like it is functioning however that is not to say it should not be corrected, I know I am just here to install your gas meter but you will understand that I have a duty of care under the Gas Safety Regulation to point out issue I come across"

If you would like know why the liner is an issue it is because it is light weight & easily damaged, as a product it was only intended to be used within a sealed chimney space where the trapped air would act as insulation to keep the flue gas temperatures high enough for the system to work carrying the products of combustion away safely. As it stands the long length of liner will allow the hot gases to cool quickly & the flue may not function as quickly or effectively as it should / could. For this reason I am recommending that you get it corrected as soon as you can.
I will be including this in my report, job sheet or invoice in that way you have a record & I have discharge my duty of care.

Its so old no one can agree on how to flue it, let alone categorise it!

Speak for yourself. I know exactly how ot should be done. I also understand the "procedure", and it does not involve lying to justify condemning a boiler, a tactic often claimed to be employed.

I will say, however, that I cannot find my post immediately after the hole was brought to attention. I may have said it may cause this to be elevated from NCS to AR. I meant ID. I think that if a call was placed to Gas Safe that they would say that you cannot effectively "repair" it, although a few bands of silver tape probably would. All my NCS comments are based on the liner being sound, and the appliance passing the tests.

I have come across many flue liners in lofts, used to connect the transition block to a roof terminal. Obviously wrong, but I checked with GS (or maybe Corgi), and the advice was as expected. NCS assuming etc...

A lot of those I visited were to fit a fire, but all of those were upgraded, or the job declined.

I’ve moved this to the gs area as the op has an answer. Please try and keep it civil chaps we’re all on the same side

Reply to Flue for old atmospheric boiler in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

We are from Alberta, and I own an electrical company. I have been asked by a BC Mechanical P. Eng. to install an emergency STOP button at the man-door to the boiler room. It's intent is to 'halt' the operation of the boilers in the room should there be an emergency. He is demanding that I do...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16 mm copper water pipe. I exposed the pipe by removing a ~30cm section of the plastic sleeve and a ~10 cm section of the pipe around the hole. Several...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock