Discuss Flue for old atmospheric boiler in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

That would definitely help, at least it would make it harder for them to treat tradesmen, who have no choice but to register, as cashcows. Not convinced it would help from an enforcement & raising standards perspective however.

Small steps I think mate it’ll start with everyone going with the cheapest option then as the punters start to see what’s on offer it will come down to the company that offer the best service

My concern with that set up is that if there are multiple bodies, each will have slightly different takes on enforcement, rules&regs, CPD... it will muddy the water further imo.

I think considering the public safety aspect, the government should be setting aside a budget that is adequate to ensure that a) there is significantly more enforcement/inspection b) there is good quality support for gas engineers, including training/education & decent communication (it wouldn't be that hard or expensive for them to email/post tech bulletins when they come out to everyone on the register) rather than just a reassessment every 5yrs. It would take some political will however, which as always is sadly going to take a major catastrophe to kick them into doing something.

Problem is mate that at the moment there is zero enforcement. Multiple organisations all following the same remit could at least prove they have teeth or not

Yep, totally agree about current state of affairs, just think the fastest, fairest & most effective way to changing it would be a decent budget provided by the government that is a) solely for enforcement b) has to be used c) effectiveness assessed (would be good to have input from gas safe members on this) with loss of contract if not adequate.

But it would take a lot of political will, with that missing, then yes your option is probably the next best.

Any idea how sparks feel about their multi body set up?

Sorry bit harsh but if it is working correctly Craig, as we have to assume it has been for all this time it can't be ID.
It would have to be spilling for that.

And for those who think it should be condemned because of how hot the liner is likely to get clearly have not touched a nice bit of single wall stainless or enamelled especially on a solid fuel appliance !!

What's with the dislike @chris watkins :(

Probably because you clearly have not read the procedure.
Personally, if you were to overstep your remit, and wrongly condemn my boiler, depriving my family of heat and hot water, I would be looking at suing you.

EDIT: Composed and posted this as Chris was doing so. Too many guys have no real understanding of the basics.

Different point of view:

What's the efficiency on the boiler? 50%

I guess your gas bill is about £800/year? That's £400 up the chimney a year.

A new system boiler in the same spot with a powerflush, controls etc and a 12 year guarantee would cost ???

Do the math. How long until it pays for itself?

Reply to Flue for old atmospheric boiler in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hey there I'm looking for some advice on a potential issue I'm having with an old back boiler. So just moved into my parents' old house with my...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Hi, long story short, our boiler has been replaced with a combi and the loft and airing cupboard are now devoid of tanks and pipework, except...
Replies
Views
I have a Worcester Greenstar gas boiler circa 2017. There has been a noise coming from the boiler which resembles running water, I have checked...
Replies
Views
E
Hi all, Apologies if this has been covered elsewhere but I can't find an answer to my questions. I have a back boiler and gas fire which h has...
Replies
Views
British Gas servicing the above boiler ramped up the boiler to maximum in the installer menu to do flue gas analysis. They also measured the...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock