Search the forum,

Discuss Old back boiler question? in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Hey there I'm looking for some advice on a potential issue I'm having with an old back boiler.

So just moved into my parents' old house with my partner, it's a terrace with back to back chimneys in the kitchen and the sitting room. The fireplace in the kitchen is the old back boiler that hasn't been in use for some years now. I have no intention of lighting a fire in the kitchen fireplace, because years ago when getting the chimney cleaned the soot from it was a bit damp and my parents thought the back boiler might be leaking, they never did any further investigation and just stopped using it. I often wondered if it was just a damp spot on the chimney itself.

I'd like to know if you guys think it's safe to light the fire in the sitting room which is behind it but is a separate chimney? I'm a bit worried that the heat from the back of the sitting room fire could cause the kitchen back boiler to explode?? If it was leaking. To my knowledge it's still full of water. Am I worrying about nothing? Any advice is really really appreciated. Thank you in advance

Also I have been thinking about using some firebricks to insulate the sitting room chimney if tsht would help stop and heat coming through to the kitchen fireplace?

It sounds like this is an old copper boiler?

If it is, then the pipes will not pass up inside the chimney. They will exit the fireplace and travel upward on the side of the chimney breast.

If this is all still connected to a vented cylinder and full of water then no, it won't blow up. It would be best to get a Plumber (old one if poss) to look at it before you use it though.

I would advise you to ask them to sweep and smoke test the chimney too or get a sweep in to do that bit if they don't want to take it on.

It is worth having it inspected and tested prior to using either fire in case the mid-feather has gone.

Hey thanks for the reply, yes it's exactly that an old copper cylinder boiler, I think I'm right in saying that the actual kitchen fireplace is the back boiler itself?

The pipes run up the side exactly like you said up into the copper cylinder upstairs. I'm going to get the sitting room chimney cleaned and inspected first. I was thinking as it's an old fireplace and rather large that I could use some firebricks to make the fireplace itself smaller in the sitting room and help insulate the heat?? I really only want to light a small fire there just to stop any dampness.

I definitely won't light the back boiler one ever until I can grt it removed or replaced just to be safe.

Hey thanks for the reply, yes it's exactly that an old copper cylinder boiler, I think I'm right in saying that the actual kitchen fireplace is the back boiler itself?

The pipes run up the side exactly like you said up into the copper cylinder upstairs. I'm going to get the sitting room chimney cleaned and inspected first. I was thinking as it's an old fireplace and rather large that I could use some firebricks to make the fireplace itself smaller in the sitting room and help insulate the heat?? I really only want to light a small fire there just to stop any dampness.

I definitely won't light the back boiler one ever until I can grt it removed or replaced just to be safe.
In the back of the fireplace there will be a box. It is probably black but it is copper covered in soot. Above that will be a damper which opens and closes using a rod. Depending on its position that allows the draught (and flame) to flow straight up the chimney across the fire throat to give more heat to the room or, down around the base of the boiler and up the back to heat the water within. The water will warm and begin to circulate through the cylinder by gravity. Genius!
There is no control obviously so you need to get used to using it.

The other fireplace would also usually have a throat and cheeks with insulation behind those. Some use a vermiculite mix or similar.
Yes, get the chimneys checked before spending.
Check what zone you're in too before you start.
Look into fuels & smoke etc.
You will need ventilation to bring in air for combustion as well as relief/flue flow

Reply to Old back boiler question? in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello, I am seeking some advice, I have a POTTERTON PROMAX 28 COMBI Boiler and I noticed yesterday that the water around the house is no longer warming up. The heat exchanger has been changed 6 months ago, so I do not believe it is that. Does anyone have any ideas on what it could be? Thanks
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new brackets, dismantle that existing one and start again or I could try and re attach via those screws, removing the broken ones from the plate and wall...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock