Discuss Flue for old atmospheric boiler in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Different point of view:

What's the efficiency on the boiler? 50%

I guess your gas bill is about £800/year? That's £400 up the chimney a year.

A new system boiler in the same spot with a powerflush, controls etc and a 12 year guarantee would cost ???

Do the math. How long until it pays for itself?

It is not that different. My first post made a similar comment.

Yep, totally agree about current state of affairs, just think the fastest, fairest & most effective way to changing it would be a decent budget provided by the government that is a) solely for enforcement b) has to be used c) effectiveness assessed (would be good to have input from gas safe members on this) with loss of contract if not adequate.

But it would take a lot of political will, with that missing, then yes your option is probably the next best.

Any idea how sparks feel about their multi body set up?
I am GS and a NAPIT registered sparky.

My electrical works are inspected annual onsite and I have to show certs, calibrations etc and answer questions to an assessor. This is good in my opinion.

There is a lot of snobbery amongst the different elec bodies. NICEIC think they are the best and many times they win jobs purely by name.

The electrical forums can be brutal.

Should GS be split into more bodies? Not sure. People still think we are CORGI....

I am GS and a NAPIT registered sparky.

My electrical works are inspected annual onsite and I have to show certs, calibrations etc and answer questions to an assessor. This is good in my opinion.

There is a lot of snobbery amongst the different elec bodies. NICEIC think they are the best and many times they win jobs purely by name.

The electrical forums can be brutal.

Should GS be split into more bodies? Not sure. People still think we are CORGI..

That sounds like a much better way of doing things, with a bit of political will and some extra funding should be possible to make GS do the same.

Was there a similar setup before it was multi body (or has it always been multi body, don't know much about the world of Sparkys)? Is there the same inspection regime irrespective of which trade body you are with? Also what are your fees like compared to Gas Safe?

Good point re corgi lol

That sounds like a much better way of doing things, with a bit of political will and some extra funding should be possible to make GS do the same.

Was there a similar setup before it was multi body (or has it always been multi body, don't know much about the world of Sparkys)? Is there the same inspection regime irrespective of which trade body you are with? Also what are your fees like compared to Gas Safe?

Good point re corgi lol
I think the inspection regime is fairly similar across the sparks schemes. I honestly don't know the difference in prices because I haven't looked into it. Sparkles generally pay for way for certs than we do (thanks to the boiler manufacturers)

I am not sure if GS should be split. However, we are GS members should be able to hold GS toes to the fire and conversely the other gas bodies. In theory. I think there is some power in the numbers. Thino of the American unions....

I regards to GS and sparky fees....honestly I don't k ow off the top of my head. You pay your fees if you want to play this game....

Sorry bit harsh but if it is working correctly Craig, as we have to assume it has been for all this time it can't be ID.
It would have to be spilling for that.

And for those who think it should be condemned because of how hot the liner is likely to get clearly have not touched a nice bit of single wall stainless or enamelled especially on a solid fuel appliance !!
Yeah I've looked into this for my own knowledge and the example of unsafe situations in tb001 classes incorrect use of flue liner (e.g exposed) is only ncs, given how that is not official any more, apart from telling the customer it's wrong, nothing else should be done, is that right?

Probably because you clearly have not read the procedure.
Personally, if you were to overstep your remit, and wrongly condemn my boiler, depriving my family of heat and hot water, I would be looking at suing you.

EDIT: Composed and posted this as Chris was doing so. Too many guys have no real understanding of the basics.
Someone sounds grumpy o_O

Just like the GSR engineer reported to OP Steve, I would expect that the report he can no longer find went something like - "That flue on your boiler is not correct sir, a flue liner has been used in place of the correct twin wall flue pipe which should have been used between the boiler & the chimney above". "Now I have had a quick look & I can see no signs of spillage from the boiler / flue so it looks like it is functioning however that is not to say it should not be corrected, I know I am just here to install your gas meter but you will understand that I have a duty of care under the Gas Safety Regulation to point out issue I come across"

If you would like know why the liner is an issue it is because it is light weight & easily damaged, as a product it was only intended to be used within a sealed chimney space where the trapped air would act as insulation to keep the flue gas temperatures high enough for the system to work carrying the products of combustion away safely. As it stands the long length of liner will allow the hot gases to cool quickly & the flue may not function as quickly or effectively as it should / could. For this reason I am recommending that you get it corrected as soon as you can.
I will be including this in my report, job sheet or invoice in that way you have a record & I have discharge my duty of care.

Reply to Flue for old atmospheric boiler in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hey there I'm looking for some advice on a potential issue I'm having with an old back boiler. So just moved into my parents' old house with my...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Hi, long story short, our boiler has been replaced with a combi and the loft and airing cupboard are now devoid of tanks and pipework, except...
Replies
Views
I have a Worcester Greenstar gas boiler circa 2017. There has been a noise coming from the boiler which resembles running water, I have checked...
Replies
Views
E
Hi all, Apologies if this has been covered elsewhere but I can't find an answer to my questions. I have a back boiler and gas fire which h has...
Replies
Views
British Gas servicing the above boiler ramped up the boiler to maximum in the installer menu to do flue gas analysis. They also measured the...
Replies
Views
Back