Search the forum,

Discuss Do you consider Travis Pekins expensive? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
W

Whl4852

Went to my local Travis branch this morning, where I have an account. I purchased the following:

1. 22mm tank connector
2. Two 22mm 90 elbows
3. Two 22mm stop ends (compression)
4. Three 15mm service valves
5. 3m length of 22mm copper

The ridiculous grand total of £47.00 (with the vat)

In my defence it was early this morning, check sales note and everything was listed correctly, the pipe was nearly £20! Are they having a laugh?

22mm is around £3.70 plus VAT a metre at the moment from my local.

Where they charging retail or trade? And yes, I never use Travis Perkins because I think they're too expensive.

Were supposedly charging 'trade' I'm really angry because I was listening to a painter and decorator saying he can get paint at half the price of Travis, this was whilst I was in the shop. I'm sure they are out to get the small business, they've just lost me as a customer.

Last time I used them was for 3 lengths of corner bead I'd overlooked on a job and they had a store close by, can't remember the price but it was extortionate and from that I made my mind up never to deal with them again. Never heard anyone say a good word about them.

Went to my local Travis branch this morning, where I have an account. I purchased the following:

1. 22mm tank connector
2. Two 22mm 90 elbows
3. Two 22mm stop ends (compression)
4. Three 15mm service valves
5. 3m length of 22mm copper

The ridiculous grand total of £47.00 (with the vat)

In my defence it was early this morning, check sales note and everything was listed correctly, the pipe was nearly £20! Are they having a laugh?

About £19 inc vat with my terms at plumb.....they are having your pants down.........

Not been in there for years even though they are the closest by far to me, after they tried to charge me £25 for a pack of 22mm elbows.

Thanks lads, you've all confirmed my suspicions. Gonna pop down tomorrow morning and give the manager a head lock.

Thanks lads, you've all confirmed my suspicions. Gonna pop down tomorrow morning and give the manager a head lock.

You have to pay £125 +VAT to see the manager.

I've got an account card still for travis perkins for a social housing contractor give me a jelly baby you can have it.

Travis Perkins owns PTS, i always seem to get great price and service from my local pts. What other merchents are near you?

Travis, plumbfix and that's it, mainly just stick to plumbfix, hardly use Travis, although used to used them a lot in the past

I mainly use Plumbfix now as none of the merchants can compete up here. PTS is second but even with my bulk discount they are still expensive.

No proper plumbers merchants then, bummer

Plumb-centre, plumbase, city plumbing, PTS, Williams & Co all within 10 mins or less of each other plus all the usual diy sheds and builders merchants, all in sunny basingstoke

I mainly use Plumbfix now as none of the merchants can compete up here. PTS is second but even with my bulk discount they are still expensive.

Completley agree, screwfix is now a major player, 99% of the time it'll be cheaper and the delivery times are rapid

Plumb-centre, plumbase, city plumbing, PTS, Williams & Co all within 10 mins or less of each other plus all the usual diy sheds and builders merchants, all in sunny basingstoke

Freshfields business park in Brighton has to have the record.

Apart from us, there is Plumbcentre, PTS, Grahams, Plumbbase, Screwfix and Jewson all on one tiny estate. Also a CEF and a Brewers.

Great Friday call for the manufacturers reps, park the car, tick off 8 calls by mid-morning, and down the pub for lunch.

Travis Perkins are far too expensive. Never use them. I have Jewsons and an independant around the corner, 20 mins there's toolstation, screwfix, plumb centre, pts, plumb base, crosslings and heating world of spares.

Freshfields business park in Brighton has to have the record.

Apart from us, there is Plumbcentre, PTS, Grahams, Plumbbase, Screwfix and Jewson all on one tiny estate. Also a CEF and a Brewers.

Great Friday call for the manufacturers reps, park the car, tick off 8 calls by mid-morning, and down the pub for lunch.

Sounds good to me, let me know if you need a sweeper upper.

Tp are robbing swines imo.
I have two very good local independents near me and a plumbfix toolstation pts parts centre/plumb center and a bunch of plumbase so spoiled for choice. :)

what ever merchant you use you need to get in there and set up your terms with them so you get decent prices all the time and not what ever the cashier decides. no one else to blame but yourself if you pay a fortune as the merchant like you is there to make a profit and if you havent agreed terms and prices with them who is at fault.

what ever merchant you use you need to get in there and set up your terms with them so you get decent prices all the time and not what ever the cashier decides. no one else to blame but yourself if you pay a fortune as the merchant like you is there to make a profit and if you havent agreed terms and prices with them who is at fault.

I have an account, I order plenty of underground fittings and pipes, and always get a very good price, as for the plumbing fittings, they are extremely expensive, nearly twice the price of elsewhere

having an account and having agreed terms are 2 different things, I use several merchants and have agreed terms with them all so I know what discounts on base price I get with all of them and tp are one of the merchants just talk to the account manager in your local branch

Last edited by a moderator:
The advantage of Plumbfix is that I can browse online, compare lots of products and prices and select what I want. I can then place the order and have it delivered next day or collect it all in 15 minutes from my local branch.You can't do that in a local PTS. Plus everytime I go into PTS, it takes ages to get served. Time is money!

Whether you like Screwfix or hate them, they have a good business model to follow.

Agree with everyone, TP rip off!!! Mainly use local plumbers merchants. Because there is two plumbers merchants down the same industrial area the prices are very competitive. Do like plumbfix because they hold good levels of stock, a wide range of stock and ther's a couple of nice strumpets at ours. Only bad point is you have to get part number for every item you want.

Only bad point is you have to get part number for every item you want.
Order online before you go mate and it will be picked and ready for collection by the time you get there. No need to fluff around with order numbers. That's why I like Plumbfix, plus I have a TradeUK account card with them and B&Q.

Order online before you go mate and it will be picked and ready for collection by the time you get there. No need to fluff around with order numbers. That's why I like Plumbfix, plus I have a TradeUK account card with them and B&Q.

Tradeuk account card? Tell me more please!

I find plumb fix arent competative when compared to a good independant merchant , down my way rgb are similar to williams with ray and his like operating them, and my local independants will always beat plumbfix to get the business and they have most of the gear i need in stock,

tp are rip off used them once in barrow for a bag of dri wall adhesive
over £10.00 never gone in again. ok so i dont have an account but thats crap

Don't suppose it's worth starting a poll on this subject then?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Do you consider Travis Pekins expensive? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock