Discuss Building regs vs Gas Safe - arrgh in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

caines

I'd appreciate your views/ thoughts/ advice on the following:

I had a new boiler fitted in 2008 and have the benchmark commissioning checklist completed and signed by the corgi registered plumber but corgi was never notified of the work so no commissioning certificate can be produced. The plumber was, but is no longer, Gas Safe registered and I can't get hold of him.

We were wrongly informed at the time that we did not need to have our work (garage conversion with new boiler) signed off by building control.

We are now trying to move and having a nightmare with building regs. I have been passed between building regs and gas safe so many time Im sick of speaking to them both.

The short of it is that the building control guy wants a boiler Commissioning Certificate before he can sign off the work from 2008. No other documents stating current safety status or even a recommissioning document will do (as its not a "certificate").

I understand from Gas Safe that a Commission Certificate can not be produced retrospectively.

So, is there any way of getting my "new" boiler signed off to comply with current building regs or do I just have to accept that as the Certificate can not be produced I can't get the building work signed off.

I'd appreciate your thoughts/ experiences.

Many thanks
Becky

Hi Becky,
Sounds like you're caught in red tape! What a pain!!!
People are so happy to tell you what you should do but not so helpful when telling you how you should do it! What do they expect you to do, rip out the new boiler and fit another for a piece of paper? Could be the only option I guess but an expensive one!

Good luck finding an answer ...

there is not any other way round it I am afraid caines ,I can change it for you and you get to offer of 6 years guarantee

have you contacted your local building control officer?

Ask bulding control if a CP12 certificate would do in place of what you're after. If it will you're looking at £50 not a couple of grand.

They might not go for it, but you might get lucky. Good luck.

Becky the only person who can sign off the installation is the installer! The only person who can register the installation with Gas Safe and Building Regs is the installer! Did you employ the guy or did the builder? Not that that helps coz you're still without the necessary paperwork! Could you sleep with the building regs bloke (said tongue in cheek) .... LOL

I feel for you honestly! It's one where Gas Safe should be there for you and not turning their back! If the installation ticks all the boxes they should be able to help you out. In stead they're only interested in finding the 'illegal' installer and gaining brownie points!

I hope you don't have to fork out for a new installation because of bureaucracy!!!!!!

O yes - building control man is the one who originally said they are numerous options for the 'documents' accepted but has since changed his mind and seems to now only want a commissioning cert. I don't know if he is being over picky??

CP12 - is that the Landlords Safety Cert? If so, they won't accept it....and Gas Safe won't either if property not rented out.

It seems that Gas Safe and Building Regs want to put the responsibility on each other...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Building regs vs Gas Safe - arrgh in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Hello I’d like to replace gas cooker. Curry’s do install but I know they will refuse to install if regs are not met. So I want to understand...
Replies
Views
I have a 40 year old floor standing Glow Worm 45-60 boiler (open vent )which is in a cupboard in the centre of the house. Its an old workhouse...
Replies
Views
Hi, I’m having a gas cooker pipe capped off. The GS registered plumber/ fitter, has told me that to do this, he’ll also have to service the combi...
Replies
Views
Had conventional boiler and tanks removed last year and new combi fitted and just recently had it serviced but the guy who did it has given me a...
Replies
Views
Flue Snugs Hello all new member here. Flue snugs. I’m seeing a lot of boiler installs on you tube that don’t have flue snugs to comply with...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock