Discuss Asbestoses in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Bernie2

Hi All,

You've probably heard about asbestos and the harm it can do you?

Its dangerous stuff and there is still, about a million or more ton of the stuff still out there.

There is also still no lower limit, of the amount of exposure to asbestos that below it is known not to be dangerous.

In other words nobody knows if your exposed to asbestos for say even 5 seconds what it may do to you.

I was diagnosed with mild asbestoses this year.

Don't forget some old boilers had asbestos in the combustion chambers.

However its said that it is not dangerous unless disturbed or its worn and flaking. Unfortunately those are the areas Plumbers often go in.

So watch yourselves

sorry to hear about your health problems i think most of us over 45 have been exsposed to the stuff its just the luck of the draw if your infected
we used to knock it of pipes in boiler rooms and mix it in an open tub room would be like a snow storm the real pig is those supplying the stuff knew about the dangers years ago

Thanks Steve

Yes the first claims where made in the 1890's.

The thing is, I think the young guys think its all over and done with now.

They don't realise how much asbestos is still out there and just as much a danger to them today as it was for us if they get exposed to it.

i did the asbestos course about a year ago. really frightening. they showed us bits and pieces in a sealed bag and then explained where they come from.
anything over 15 years old (officially), is possible to contain asbestos. cast iron boiler joints, bolted manifolds on steel pipes, most lagging, vent shafts..... everywhere
im lucky to go to sites that have been mostly labelled up as asbestos containing or not with test stickers all over the show
if i am in any doubt, i close the door and walk away, as a smoker and working with the stuff ime 246 times as likely to die from related diseases as a non smoker working without asbestos.
i work for a firm so its my right to do so, in todays market if your young and new into the business, you doing that may cost you your job but your health will be fine and you can get recompensated later if you do get sacked by ruthless bosses

good luck, be safe.
shaun

i think most of us over 45 have been exsposed to the stuff its just the luck of the draw if your infected
we used to knock it of pipes in boiler rooms and mix it in an open tub room would be like a snow storm the real pig is those supplying the stuff knew about the dangers years ago

Unfortunately this is one of the two attitudes we have;

Category A - The young and keen who get it drilled into them that asbestos kills, they dont pay any attention and its not until they are a bit maturer that they take the next Category of thought;

Category B - Tradesmen like yourself who thinks - I've probably worked with it in the past (as a cat A) so if i do come into contact with it, Oh well!

And thats what were up against!

Asbestos prohibition law came into effect in 1986 banning Blue and brown asbestos (Crocidolite & Amosite) which are the most dangerous of the three main types.

BUT Chrysotile or white asbestos as its known, was used up until it was banned in 1999! this stuff is'nt as dangerous, infact i beleive its un-licensed work in the USA but you dont take your chances! Prior to undertaking a major refurbishment of a Gymnasium we found we had a full type 3 survey done and found that the main swimming pool pump set had asbestos gaskets even though they werwe only fitted 2-3 months prior which goes to show there are items still in the back of some stores rooms which contain asbestos!

My advice to all trades people is to go on an awareness course and get a half face mask with a type P3 filter from somewhere like arco have it fit tested. Belts and braces you should stop work immediately if you suspect asebestos and prior to drilling through any wall that you may think there asbestos in have it checked.

Not that i condone it, but I know with the self employed trades man its unrealistic to call out a surveying company so as a minimum wear a mask and make sure you have had a shave within 24 hours otherwise you wont get a good seal on the mask and shadow vacum whilst drilling.

The HSE wensite has alot of answers to questions so check that out!

Yes! And don't forget your wife may shake your overalls after you have been working with the stuff before she washes them!

She can get it too.

Use a disposable overall they are only cheap and throw it in a sealed container before you leave the job if you suspect its got asbestos on it.

Then get the container properly disposed of.

I know in theory that employers should pick up on the possibilities of asbestos being on a job. Problem is, some employers may not know enough about Plumbing products that contain asbestos or where its likely to be met with to identify the risk and warn their people to take appropriate actions.

So go careful lads.

If your making that much dust that you require overalls you shouldnt be doing that work.

I was refering to screwing a bracket or something not removing the stuff or working with it to the point that you require overalls thats just stupid!

And remember if your working commercially the client is legally obliged to provide you with a survey listing/identifiying all known areas which are known/suspected to contain asbestos, if in doubt, stop work and get a proffesional in not matter who you work for!

White asbestos has been proven to be harmless despite the H&SE hype. There is however the danger that tradesmen might not really be able to tell the difference between the various types so I suppose a blanket ban is the best solution.

How many people can tell the difference between Astbestalux, and Asbestos? I know I can't. How many decorators know that Artex on the ceiling has Asbestos in it? Probably not many!

It's a horrible fact that the authoritys knew the dangers hundreds of years ago. When it was mined in Roman times, people got a illness of the lungs. So there's no excuse. The really horrible facts are that third world countries like India are still using it, and that in the UK we'll have many, many future generations killed by it. I'm only 30 and I know the dangers.

Bit of trivia. In the film King Solomon's Mines (Richard Chamberlain/Sharon Stone) the entire town that they walk into at the beginning of the film was constructed out of asbestos about 15km outside of Harare.

Actually there was a lot of stuff made from amphibole type and I gather from some sources that this was the favourite for asbestos lagging. I also gather that the type of asbestos bonded with cement to make sheets and pipes depended on the country of manufacture. What we could do with is somebody that could be called out to give advice on whether or not the stuff we find is safe to handle. At present the only option I know of is to call in the heavies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Asbestoses in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

B
Hi My annual inspection with Scottish Gas (been with them for 7 years with no problems) delivered a big surprise when the engineer inspected the...
Replies
Views
Billy Bob Bob
B
L
Been invited to a job interview assessment for a gas service/repair engineer role. From researching the company it looks like they have got the...
Replies
Views
plumsum
P
N
Hi all, Ive just had the usual problem where our great 'old school' plumber is expected to have a BSC in electronics engineering. The problem is...
Replies
Views
Newcastleguy
N
C
HI all, looking for some help. We are having a loft extension done. So far no serious issues and builder seems trustworthy and competent. He has...
Replies
Views
tscplumbing
T
P
Are gas safety inspections on rental properties really needed every year now,with new appliances being much safer If fires or open flued...
Replies
Views
Kayjsharp
K
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock