Search the forum,

Discuss nursery school backup boiler?- advice needed in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
N

Newcastleguy

Hi all, Ive just had the usual problem where our great 'old school' plumber is expected to have a BSC in electronics engineering. The problem is we have four 45KW boilers and a lot of radiators in a charitable kids nursery (the hot water is a separate system altogether!) They're all knackered and the maintenance has cost more than the gas bills for the last few years. We need to scrap them - The problem is this: I really want to have a backup system <dual pumps, dual boilers etc> but nobody Ive spoken to know about them. We probably only need 90 KW of boiler <going on 5 BTU per cubic feet> My question is: Is there some sort of 'changeover unit' that would fire up the backup boiler and/ or pump or a brand of boiler that would automatically fire up the standby boiler (Ideally raising an alert output) I'd love weather compensation too (bills are wild!) Been talking to Vaillant <seem helpful> Veissmann <V helpful- but pricey i think> and Keston <who have never replied- EVER> If there are any recommendation that wont cause our brilliantly helpful plumber to have a breakdown could you let me know?- Thanks in advance. Paul

Ideal commercial range are pretty decent as are the Buderus guys, Buderus are part of Worcester Bosch too and I met one of their guys called Mike Southall 07790489938 at a Plumb Center night he should be able to recommend a system setup although in fairness I cant see anyone recommending a backup more likely to ask what the common faults you have been getting. If you spend good money on quality gear you wont get stuck with reoccuring faults, especially if covered by warranty. Dont forget to clean the system properly though as firing magnetite round the system will waste gas and also more often than not be the cause of breakdowns.

If your not sure about the install HLA Services based in Sunderland are spot on with light commercial jobs, My best mates company worked with them on Newcastle airport a couple of years ago with some 1.4 MW boilers.

Thanks Powerflow. Will have a look at that. The whole backup issue is a preference because if we need to send the kids home it means a lot of parents have to leave work early, come & collect them etc (and there's a LOT of babies) basically we are the lifeline to the parents so no matter what the cost is. Waiting for spares is not an option- If it drops below 20 degrees the manager gets very twitchy.

You are out of our area so :-

Get a big hvac contractor who does install and callout for your local council/housing trust also big private hospital/nursing home contractors are a good bet. Get them to specify what you need, install the system and draw up a call out & maintenance contract with them. A package like this is not the cheap way but as you say you really need peace of mind. Also insist that drawings and specs are lodged with you for the future.

centralheatking

I agree with both Powerflow and CHK.

Get yourself a Main contractor with the experience in commercial cascade systems. Buderus are an extremely reliable make as stated previously and,for what you're looking to do, would be relatively painless to install and maintain.

This is Buderus's cascade site - [DLMURL="http://www.buderus.co.uk/condensing-cascade-systems/800-cascades"]800 Cascades - Buderus commercial and domestic boilers[/DLMURL]

Not making any promises on behalf of my firm because you're pretty far away from us, but an enquiring phonecall wouldn't hurt!

Mechanical Services, Plumbing & Drainage Services | N Ireland

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you very much guys. All V much appreciated. We had hoped to use our rock solid guy but having looked at cascade systems we pretty much all think it's a bit "advanced" for him. So yes- a good HVAC contractor search is on. One last thing- are aluminium heat exchangers not a bit of a problem in waiting? a neighbour of ours <at home> has had loads of bother with grey sludge blocking her Baxi condensate pipes and a new heat exchanger after just 4 years (corroded on the burner side!) . My aged, bright orange Viessmann is chugging away 9 years on without any problems at all!

Just needs the correct inhibitor. ask for the manufacturers recommendation!

Just needs the correct inhibitor. ask for the manufacturers recommendation!

The corrosion was 'burner side' of the heat exchanger- not inside the heat exchanger water ways.

Heat-Team removed their 'old' heat exchanger (a couple of years old) and found the condensate trap choc full of light grey slurry which they said accounted for their repeated cut outs. I don't want that sort of thing to happen. It might be a rogue incident but I guess that's what HVAC engineers are there to advise about. Thanks for all your help here guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to nursery school backup boiler?- advice needed in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi everyone, Just wanted to share my experience with "upgrading" an S plan setup to Opentherm and Vaillant Control Center (VR66). There are a few threads on a few different forums but I wanted to share a full write-up with all the steps needed, benefits and costs. Overall, I fully recommend...
Replies
Views
L
Hey everyone, I'll keep it short. Had our old system boiler replaced with a new Ideal system boiler set up. Then the problems began. First issue was the pump went faulty, so the pump was replaced. This then led to a new issue coming up where the central heating would work, but not the hot...
Replies
Views
J
Hi Everyone, I'm looking for a little advice so I can try and save a bit of money this winter (especially considering the new prices!) I have an Ideal boiler (Vogue Max System 18) and a hot water tank (Heatrae Sadia Megaflo). On the boiler I only have 1 dial to turn the water temp up or down...
Replies
Views
P
Hi there, please help dont have a clue how to set this up. Ive recently installed a complete new central heating system in my house myself. The system is up and running and works okay but I feel it could work alot better if it were setup properly. Im not a plumber and really understand how parts...
Replies
Views
Hi, Firstly, I am neither plumber nor heating engineer, just a willing diy, have a go guy. I have a Grant 26 oil fired combi boiler which started continually leaking water from the prv to the outside. The pressure was at 1 bar until the heating system cut in, when it would increase to 2.5 and...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock