Search the forum,

Discuss Where can I get whatever this olive is called? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

WaterTight

Esteemed
Plumber
Subscribed
Just had right mission trying to join on what I think must have been 15mm copper going into a imperial sized compression tee. On the pipe there was an olive that was compressed flat onto the pipe on the end that went into the fitting and raised and flat ended on the other side to seal against the nut which had a large gap around the pipe too large to be grabbed by a standard 15mm olive not matter how tight.

I've seen them before and heard them mentioned on here before but forgotten what I've heard themthey were called. And this was the first time I've really could have done with a new one as I didn't want to use the original one as pipe was a bit worse for wear.

What are these called? Can you buy them? And can they be used to help a 15mm copper pipe seal into an old fitting?

Thanks

Incidentally no 15mm nut I had would join onto the thread of the old fitting otherwise I'd have just done that.

You are talking about a .'Cone'.

No I do not think you will get one. No the thread will not fit modern nuts. You probably need to re use it if you can or replace the fitting

Thanks, that's a shame. Would be handy for joining onto an old imperial compression fitting with new pipe.

I've noticed places like bes do 'imperial compression' ... Would this just be compression designed to fit well on imperial pipe rather than machined to have threads that would match/fit old imperial fittings?

Actually I think I'm still confused about what I was working wit. I don't think the fitting can have been imperial as my new metric pipe was too loose in it, whereas it should have been really hard to get the pipe in if it was imperial. I guess there were just metic fitting designed to take a coned olive, for whatever reason.

Actually I think I'm still confused about what I was working wit. I don't think the fitting can have been imperial as my new metric pipe was too loose in it, whereas it should have been really hard to get the pipe in if it was imperial. I guess there were just metic fitting designed to take a coned olive, for whatever reason.

It would be imperial. 1/2" and 15mm Are near as damn it the same. You will find that 1/2" can be a tad tight in 15mm fittings though.

Ca you not replace the whole fitting?

Why is 1/2" tight in 15mm fittings when it is smaller? Is it because even though it's bore is 1/2" the wall was so much thicker then that it actually ends up the same o/d as 15mm or greater? If so that might explain why the speedfit attached to it for 2 years was happy as larry.

Replacing whole fittings means digging into wall.

I've also noticed that plenty of 15mm pipe is a struggle to get into plenty of 15mm fittings anyway these day presumably due to cheaper production.

I had one in the garage pm me your address i will post it to you. Cheers kop

20171028_071758.jpg

20171028_071809.jpg

Why is 1/2" tight in 15mm fittings when it is smaller? Is it because even though it's bore is 1/2" the wall was so much thicker then that it actually ends up the same o/d as 15mm or greater? If so that might explain why the speedfit attached to it for 2 years was happy as larry.

Replacing whole fittings means digging into wall.

1/2” inside diameter gave (I think, don’t quote me), something like 15.8 mm. outside diameter. There about, roughly.

I've also noticed that plenty of 15mm pipe is a struggle to get into plenty of 15mm fittings anyway these day presumably due to cheaper production.

The fittings are cheaper and crapper than they used to be. Everything is cheaper and crapper than it used to be.

15mm tube has 15mm O/D precisely.
1/2" tube has an O/D of greater than 15mm.
As others have said.
The key point is that 1/2" tube is probably 1/2" nominal bore.

Ah that makes sense then.

Does that only apply to copper? Because I may have got wrong idea due to discussion about push fit inserts/fittings where the bottom line seemed to be you could you use any insert on any plastic pipe as they were all 15mm internal bore but had to use right fitting for right brand as they varied on o/d.

I don’t use push fit but the o.d. Will be 15mm on all. Some may have a very slight difference on wall thickness and you may find that some sleeves are slacker than others, you should really use the sleeve that was made for the tube you use. I’m pretty sure any warranty from tube manufacturers only stands if you use the correct fittings too!

I may be wrong there. Others who use the stuff will know more.

I also don't use push fit plastic plumbing, but am sure that you must use the proper inserts for the plastic pipe as it is the internal bore than can vary slightly.
I probably also have some of those tapered copper olives. The nut for them will be flat inside to hit against olive.
Anyone needing to connect to imperial 1/2" or 1" copper pipe should carry a few Conex brass fittings, because they are a slacker fit, both the fitting body and nut, as well as better quality than the cheap brass we have now. Useful also if a pipe has been expanded slightly if ice damaged.

So I remembered it back to front then? You have to use same brand of insert with same brand of pipe but - ignoring MI's of course - there's no theoretical reason you couldn't use different brands of fittings on different plastic pipes as the o/d will always be 15mm?

Great tip on conex for imperial. I've never bought them before but oddly enough just found a bag of them a customer gave me a while back. They do look well made.

So would the coned olive used with the original nut with the flat face inside fit and compress properly onto 15mm pipe?

So I received the coned olive and flat face nut from kop (many thanks again kop, really, really appreciated.)

It was a pretty neat fit on 15mm pipe.

The nut on the problem fitting I am forced to join onto was quite a bit bigger though. And threads weren't a match.

23191587_10155136002300897_1940583611_o.jpg

As was the hole in it. The coned olive seemed a good fit into the body of the tee but was only *just* big enough to be good for the nut. If the nut hole was another mm or two wider it may have distorted the olive as tightened. But with some careful nipping up, checking it was fully compressed, dob of paste and it was happy as larry. So all good in the end. But I guess there were coned olives/nuts available of varying sizes back in the day and maybe you needed not to mix and match your fittings and olives pre-metric?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Where can I get whatever this olive is called? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I want to reconnect some outbuildings to an existing water supply. The supply pipe is old 22mm MDPE and buried for a fair distance so not going to dig it up and replace it 😬. Question is can I use normal 22mm plumbing push-fit connectors to make the connection as finding 22mm MDPE fittings...
Replies
Views
Copper pipes, I think its fair to say, is not what it used to be, the copper is getting thin while the cost is going up. Meanwhile, plastic Pushfit seems to be getting better and better, cost and convenience was always better, but now the quality is to, have we reached a stage where plastic will...
Replies
Views
Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two hole mixer but the cold water pressure is high mains fed and the hot is low pressure immersion tank fed. I've been trying to find info on what I...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16 mm copper water pipe. I exposed the pipe by removing a ~30cm section of the plastic sleeve and a ~10 cm section of the pipe around the hole. Several...
Replies
Views
Hi. I need a new toilet supply line but don’t know the size type of the fitting at the shut off valve. It is not 3/8 compression. It is a plastic nut about the same size as the one going into the cistern but has a different thread. Attached is a photo. Can you advise. Thanks.
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock