Discuss Where can I get whatever this olive is called? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've also noticed that plenty of 15mm pipe is a struggle to get into plenty of 15mm fittings anyway these day presumably due to cheaper production.

The fittings are cheaper and crapper than they used to be. Everything is cheaper and crapper than it used to be.

15mm tube has 15mm O/D precisely.
1/2" tube has an O/D of greater than 15mm.
As others have said.
The key point is that 1/2" tube is probably 1/2" nominal bore.

Ah that makes sense then.

Does that only apply to copper? Because I may have got wrong idea due to discussion about push fit inserts/fittings where the bottom line seemed to be you could you use any insert on any plastic pipe as they were all 15mm internal bore but had to use right fitting for right brand as they varied on o/d.

I don’t use push fit but the o.d. Will be 15mm on all. Some may have a very slight difference on wall thickness and you may find that some sleeves are slacker than others, you should really use the sleeve that was made for the tube you use. I’m pretty sure any warranty from tube manufacturers only stands if you use the correct fittings too!

I may be wrong there. Others who use the stuff will know more.

I also don't use push fit plastic plumbing, but am sure that you must use the proper inserts for the plastic pipe as it is the internal bore than can vary slightly.
I probably also have some of those tapered copper olives. The nut for them will be flat inside to hit against olive.
Anyone needing to connect to imperial 1/2" or 1" copper pipe should carry a few Conex brass fittings, because they are a slacker fit, both the fitting body and nut, as well as better quality than the cheap brass we have now. Useful also if a pipe has been expanded slightly if ice damaged.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Where can I get whatever this olive is called? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I want to reconnect some outbuildings to an existing water supply. The supply pipe is old 22mm MDPE and buried for a fair distance so not going...
Replies
Views
Copper pipes, I think its fair to say, is not what it used to be, the copper is getting thin while the cost is going up. Meanwhile, plastic...
Replies
Views
Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16...
Replies
Views
Hi. I need a new toilet supply line but don’t know the size type of the fitting at the shut off valve. It is not 3/8 compression. It is a plastic...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock