Search the forum,

Discuss Upgrading Imperial rads to modern rads in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi, just went to swap the first of three imperial sized rads (750 wide by 500mm) to a metric 700*500 double convector and like a Doyle have found I didn't plan for the copper pipe to be another 10/15 mm in from the wall to meet with valve.
Before I go ripping up floor boards, what will be the easiest way to bring them out from the wall. There's alot of play in the pipes as it's a 60s bungalow sitting on a suspended floor, but don't think I should be pulling the copper pipes about.

Any advice is greatly appreciated

Cheers
Martin

Just do a web search for radiator valve extension lots of different types available don't use the telescopic one's known to leak.
Cheers, will go grab the set length extensions. Think I might not have explained the main issue well, this is that the pipe entry to the radiator is now a good 15 mm further away from the wall when compared to where the old Imperial rads sat. Is there a fix for this or will it involve removing floor boards and moving pipes to accommodate?
Hope it makes a bit more sense and cheers for the advice on the telescopic extensions.

There are the following ways of fixing this problem:
1. Lifting floorboards, altering pipework to suit the new radiator, re-drilling / chiselling the boards as necessary and putting them down again. If realistically possible this is the best method.
2. Altering the pipework as it comes out of the floor:
2a. Perhaps by putting in 2 x 45 degree elbows to "kink" the pipe the right way. Depending on distance, not always possible if 2 x 45's and a short length of pipe between creates an offset > required.
2b. Bending an offset and using a coupling to connect to a stub of the old pipe. Neater than 2a but not easy to do without experience.
2c. Both 2a and 2b require soldering, and are not to everyone's taste aesthetically.
3. If the old radiator had the short side of the bracket against the wall, fixing the new one with the long side against the wall moves the radiator back towards the wall. May not give enough movement, and tends to constrict the heat rising up the back of the radiator.

If you make the new radiator slightly wider than the old, you can ease the problem of room to fit in an offset by rotating it to meet the new pipe centres.

Reply to Upgrading Imperial rads to modern rads in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all, We've sourced 2 new rads that we’re looking to get installed in place of our 2 existing ones and have been quoted £350 for a direct swap (including balancing and fitting TRVs that we are supplying) or £700 if we’d like the addition of the pipes being chased into the wall. I wanted to get...
Replies
Views
I am replacing two radiators. The new radiators will be larger and I will need to change the pipework. The existing 8mm microbore comes out horizontally from block walls (the floors are solid). I will need to extend at least one pipe to accomodate the new rad. Basically my question is what...
Replies
Views
Hi Guys So purchased my 1950ish ex RAF house in 2014 and it has a mix of single or double panel, no convector horrid looking Rads. They also perform crap. Sure they get nice and hot, almost scolding in some cases as I've wound the TRVs wide open as they simply don't heat the whole room very...
Replies
Views
I've had the installer back for this one already so want to try to get as many facts from the experts as to what might be going on. New loft conversion, Vaillant EcoTec 37KW boiler on ground floor with UFH in kitchen and 13 rads + the 3 in the loft. Rad feeds for loft have been taken off the...
Replies
Views
Hi all, One of my friends has a 3yr old house with normal rads in the bathrooms & cloakroom which she would like to replace with towel rads. It was built by Taylor Wimpey and the plasterboard walls are paper thin (9.5mm board I think or similar) so not the best. She has the normal 10mm...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock