Search the forum,

Discuss Replacing rads in bathrooms with towel rails in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Allgoode

Gas Engineer
Hi all,

One of my friends has a 3yr old house with normal rads in the bathrooms & cloakroom which she would like to replace with towel rads.

It was built by Taylor Wimpey and the plasterboard walls are paper thin (9.5mm board I think or similar) so not the best.

She has the normal 10mm Hep2o microbore pipework coming down ctr point behind the rads to the valves which is normal practice.

What is the best way to fit the towel rads and bring out the pipework in a tidy fashion.

I normally use the spring clips with plaster board walling or the expandable plug type but as the towel holder in the cloakroom was pulled of the wall within the first 6 months of occupation of the house was looking to see if there was any alternative ways to sort for her.

Also for the pipework to make it less unsightly is it best practice to cut a hole in the plasterboard where the pipes currently exit the wall behind the radiator and then extend the pipework to the desired exit point behind the towel rad valves.

Just asking as most of the properties I generally work in are of a more substantial construction which is easier to attach rads to.

Thanks,

Andy

can you open the other side of the wall?

Can do,

There are x3 towel rads to fit.

x2 of the walls on other side are into bedrooms & I have not checked to see what furniture may be fitted on other side, x1 more that has easy access from other side is the cloakroom with the wall on other side being the dining room wall.

Friend has said she is not worried about pipes hanging out of wall in view through the towel rads but personally I don't work that way & would prefer to have it finished off with pipes exiting straight to the valves.

Failing that coming out horizontally to the valves as a last resort similar to what the pipes would do for the current radiators is the other not so preferred option.

Cheers,

Andy

Last edited:
if you could cut the plaster board and put timbers in from the studding and fix your rad to that and also you could change the pipe work while your at it

if thats ok with her?

I would just use a Fischer hollow wall anchor... Incredibly strong! Never had an issue with these...
The pipework might not look too bad in plastic flexing to the rad valves, just gotta keep it as short as poss with the proper joints straight into the valve etc, at low level it won't be too noticeable.

I have used toggle bolts in past, as long as plaster board is OK, you should not get a problem. Better still cut a hole where the fixings will going a slide a piece of 4x1 which is about 6 inches longer than the hole, screw in place, and screw plasterboard back to the 4x1. I typically use a 6inch hole cutter.
As with pipe work, change it to going into valves, I have tried using existing but it does not look good.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Replacing rads in bathrooms with towel rails in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I have attached an image of the brass body within a tap. Having replaced a cartridge which has cured a leaking tap, I can see that there is a small leak from the brass body which can be unscrewed. Is there a seal behind the body? Thanks.
Replies
Views
The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new brackets, dismantle that existing one and start again or I could try and re attach via those screws, removing the broken ones from the plate and wall...
Replies
Views
I want to reconnect some outbuildings to an existing water supply. The supply pipe is old 22mm MDPE and buried for a fair distance so not going to dig it up and replace it 😬. Question is can I use normal 22mm plumbing push-fit connectors to make the connection as finding 22mm MDPE fittings...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock