Search the forum,

Discuss Questions for my first job in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi

I am on my first job working for a friend and I have two questions

1. Copper Pipe joining, is it personal preference to use Yorkshire fittings as apposed to an end fed capillary fitting? A plumber was telling me that yorkshire fittings are for diyers?

2. Waht is the best way to cap off a badly damaged service pipe comming into the kitchen. The pipe is badly crushed and split in several places, I have temporarily fixed it but I need to cap it off, I guess back to the mains connection but would appreciate some advice to how and what to do with the redundant pipe

thanks

Paul

Don't agree with the yorkshire fittings are for diyers. I carry a few, sometimes, your in a difficult place and your trying to balance a few different things so they're quicker and easier. However, having said that I mainly use end feeds (99%) they're cheaper. Keep the costs down, profits up.

I may be being thick but unsure which pipe is damage, if your capping a pipe off because its redundant then you should take it back as far as you can and cap it there. If its being capped off for ever at the furthest point away as you can get then I'd solder it if it were dry.

Good luck. Take your time.

yorkshire fittings are handy for when you are in awkward places, handy to have i do use endfeed most of the time

HI

Thank you for all you advice and help. I am using yorkshire and end feed fittings as I sometimes find yorkshire fittings easier.

With regard to capping off the pipe, I will send another thread this evening if I have trouble.

Many thanks

Paul

its just snobbery when people say yorkshire is for amatuers
end feed is cheaper but a well soldered yorkshire will look very neat with no snots on the vertical
anyone can do a neat horizontal end feed but the bottom of a vertical isnt so easy so use whatever your happiest with

I use end feed. The only time I get a leak funnily enough is with the odd solder ring fitting. Probably me but I don't trust them so end up giving them a quick tip solder anyway. I fit Viessmann boilers quite a lot and anyone who has fitted them will know you need a 15mm solder ring to do the PRV pipe so they do have their uses.

I went to a major pipe frozen house today (aftermath of a couple of weeks ago.) Fixed the burst pipe, turned the water on, another leak.

Went to investigate and it was a yorkshire tee fitting where two of the pipes had escaped from the fitting. Not saying they're no good, but seems in this case the end feed were stronger.

Might just have been they were older ones with lead solder.

I use end feed. The only time I get a leak funnily enough is with the odd solder ring fitting. Probably me but I don't trust them so end up giving them a quick tip solder anyway. I fit Viessmann boilers quite a lot and anyone who has fitted them will know you need a 15mm solder ring to do the PRV pipe so they do have their uses.
I also fit viessmann and always sweat a tail onto prv pipe before hanging boiler.Badgered the rep over this and they have now changed the length as well as the carp idea of a female iron for the gas

When I started DIY plumbing 30 years ago I used Yorkshire fittings as i had never made any copper pipe joints and did not know how solder flowed when hot. Once I saw how the yorkshire joints worked and how hot you had to heat it to get the ring of solder I tried some end feed - surprised at how easy they were. If you make thousands of joints a year then the extra cost of Yorkshire fittings will add up. Looking at the prices - 10 Yorkshire fittings costs about the same as 25 of the cheapest end feed fittings. How much does the solder cost and the extra time needed in fitting end feeds ... when everything is worked out there will not be a lot of difference in the cost.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Questions for my first job in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

P
Good evening and thanks for taking time to read my first post.. So I get a phonecall from my downstairs neighbour today to say there's water coming down her light fitting, and it can only be coming from one place, my flat above, dang!! Rush home from work and eventually find the mains supply...
Replies
Views
PlumbBobBob
P
B
Apologies if this is in the wrong forum, but really after some advice with regards to the following We recently smelt gas in our boiler cupboard so i rang the plumber who fitted the boiler who tested with a gas sniffer to indentify where the leak was, we found a leak and the joint was replaced...
Replies
Views
T
R
can you give any advice on this job i did on new years eve as there is a posible earner there but not sure where the loss adjuster is coming from, as i didnt realise he was a plumber too?. owner had been away for 3-4 days came home to a total, and i mean total flood. 50 gallon tank in loft...
Replies
Views
T
S
Hi and thanks in advance for any advice It’s a little long as quite simply I need to be sure whether I can get a free repair as it’ll be after winter before I can afford a repair myself, so I’ve included everything that I can think of to hopefully get the correct advice. I had a Water Metre...
Replies
Views
K
I need to repipe my flat as the copper pipes are corroded (after only 10 years!). One plumber recommends MLC pipes for both water and radiators. As with the current copper pipes, the MLC pipes would be put into the floor. The plumber says MLC pipes are 100% corrosion resistant and that the...
Replies
Views
Blackcatgas
B
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock