Search the forum,

Discuss GAS LEAK in existing 22mm copper pipe direct to boiler in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
22mm, yeah probably right about checking with the forum bit. But then at what stage do you say enough is enough we cannot find the leak we need to run new pipe

i take its 22mm throughout?. i bet its a leak in the wall where its plastered over near the meter

That's up to you. He can test along every inch of the pipe by taking your house half to bits, or he can suggest an alternative route to replace it.

i take its 22mm throughout?. i bet its a leak in the wall where its plastered over near the meter

It is 22mm throughout, will a gas sniffer smell the gas through the plaster wall and flooring/carpet?

That's up to you. He can test along every inch of the pipe by taking your house half to bits, or he can suggest an alternative route to replace it.
Any doubts about running the pipe up the front of the house from the meter into the eaves through into my loft space and then down into my boiler. Also as another point have any of you come across any good external trunking to cover the pipe that can be painted etc... Also i have read that the pipe if painted needs to be yellow?

This sounds as if you need a second independent opinion from another gas safe registered plumber. Just go on the gas safe website for contact details. It will put your mind at rest if nothing else.

Any doubts about running the pipe up the front of the house from the meter into the eaves through into my loft space and then down into my boiler. Also as another point have any of you come across any good external trunking to cover the pipe that can be painted etc... Also i have read that the pipe if painted needs to be yellow?

A run that long is likely to need some 28mm pipe on it.

TB, it doesn't matter if appliances were connected there was a smell of gas so NO drop allowed

TB, it doesn't matter if appliances were connected there was a smell of gas so NO drop allowed

The smell of gas has been resolved (due to another leak) but there's still a small drop as I understand it?

Or is it once there's been the smell of gas reported it has to be 100% tight? It's not something I've ever thought about as I've never left a leak unattended to

Last edited by a moderator:
Once a smell of gas has been reported the installation has to be 100% even if the source of the smell appears to have been resolved.

The smell of gas has been resolved (due to another leak) but there's still a small drop as I understand it?

Or is it once there's been the smell of gas reported it has to be 100% tight? It's not something I've ever thought about as I've never left a leak unattended to

Yes the original leak was found and solved but it would appear that we would have a leak elsewhere due to the pressure drop, however we could not identify where

If the guy has isolated the appliances and there is still a drop then probably the best plan would be a new gas run! It could take ages to find a leak on the pipework, specially if its hidden pipework!

Hi, I may not be reading the op right but did he do full test i.e. the let by & tightness test? Was it pipe work only or did it include the boiler aswell? I have not heard about building regs not allowing running copper pipe externally for gas, so will have too look that up.

You need to be careful here, personally i would get someone else to do a tightness test before going to the expense of rerouting the gas in a larger size.

Your in quite an awkward position on the one hand you dont want to be seen as second guessing your gas fitter, but then you dont want to be taken for a mug either.

There's no problem with running copper externally, the issue is protecting it from damage.

It's covered in B.S. 6891:2005+A2:2008 8.15.2 Above ground external pipework.

Above ground external pipework shall be protected against the risk of mechanical damage, e.g. in car ports

So any pipework run along a driveway should be protected from mechanical damage. This could be achieved using a mechanical means to protect copper but it's easier and cheaper to run low carbon steel which is inherently more resistant to damage.

There's no problem with running copper externally, the issue is protecting it from damage.

It's covered in B.S. 6891:2005+A2:2008 8.15.2 Above ground external pipework.

So any pipework run along a driveway should be protected from mechanical damage. This could be achieved using a mechanical means to protect copper but it's easier and cheaper to run low carbon steel which is inherently more resistant to damage.

And theft

If there has been a reported gas leak no drop can be left, smell or not.

If there has been a reported gas leak no drop can be left, smell or not.

thats not actually true ive been called to reported leaks where another gsr/ hob fitter had tested and found a 2 mb leak and have just confirmed its only 2 mb and the customer hasnt smelt anything so just confirmed with them its ok to leave generally you dont get called to a leak unless the owner has smelt it
but i do agree in this case it should have been capped and labeled
can the new run not be run high level to remove the mechanical/theft problem

Last edited:
It is Steve

DEALING WITH SUSPECTED GAS ESCAPES
When responding to the following situations, the gas installation shall be tightness
tested in accordance with clause 5.3.2 (existing installations). However, to
successfully pass the test, there shall be no perceptible movement of the gauge
reading and there shall be no smell of gas

It is Steve

DEALING WITH SUSPECTED GAS ESCAPES
When responding to the following situations, the gas installation shall be tightness
tested in accordance with clause 5.3.2 (existing installations). However, to
successfully pass the test, there shall be no perceptible movement of the gauge
reading and there shall be no smell of gas
yes but its excepted that within tolerance leaks are allowed on appliances with no smell or are you talking about pipework only tam?

Not after a reported leak mark including appliances
theres probably a assumption in that reg that a reported leaks come after a smell of gas,its been traced to a appliance within tolerance or not

It applys to all reported smells of gas whether reported to a private gsr guy or an esp.
Once it has been reported as an escape it is then down to you to find it or make safe.

so where does permited drop come in to the equation once ive found a drop its officially a reported leak as i would note it on paperwork therefore by your interpretation i cant then leave it

You can leave a permissible drop only if there is no smell of gas. If there us a smell then it becomes a reported leak.

If there is no smell only an engineer would discover it by testing...

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to GAS LEAK in existing 22mm copper pipe direct to boiler in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I want to reconnect some outbuildings to an existing water supply. The supply pipe is old 22mm MDPE and buried for a fair distance so not going to dig it up and replace it 😬. Question is can I use normal 22mm plumbing push-fit connectors to make the connection as finding 22mm MDPE fittings...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock