Search the forum,

Discuss GAS LEAK in existing 22mm copper pipe direct to boiler in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

brucermiller

Apologies if this is in the wrong forum, but really after some advice with regards to the following

We recently smelt gas in our boiler cupboard so i rang the plumber who fitted the boiler who tested with a gas sniffer to indentify where the leak was, we found a leak and the joint was replaced and resoldered. Our plumber then tested the mb drop and it was 1mb over 2 minutes which i understand is not good. Basically now he is saying that it is very difficult to find where the leak is coming from as it could be between the boiler and the gas inlet on the outside (we only have a boiler and no other gas appliances) without cutting the chipboard. Moreover he is stating that as the bit that was replaced was so badly joined and soldered he would suspect others would be like this. Therefore he has suggested an outside 28mm copper run from the GAS inlet along my wall to the boiler which is located against the outside wall. However there is quite a bit of run. Obviously this will be a huge eyesore and also atract copper theifs is there anything else i can do, another point is that the area proposed is a car park for the residents in my street. Am i legally allowed to do this? also see if the is anything i can do in the house with the exisitng pipe work or covering the pipe is some sort of housing, also another point could i have the pipe running direct into my loft space and down to the boiler.

I would appreciate any suggestions just to avoid the theft bit mostly but also value in my house and the effect on buyers by having the pipe on the outside.

House is around 15 years old

What was strange that the drop was only 0.4 before we replaced the first join now it is a 1mb so am a little confused by this

Appreciate everyone is busy but this installation is due to happen a week on Wednesday so really want some advice as soon as possible

Oh i did have to get my GAS stopped as well so had to move in somewhere else

Kind Regards

Thanks in advance

Last edited by a moderator:
Why wasn't the leak picked up when the boiler was fitted? If the pipework was that bad shouldn't he have mentioned it before. Seems a bit odd to me, especially the larger drop after work has been done.

Have you had a second opinion? Why have you agreed to have the work done if there is such a lack of trust?
And welcome to the forum.

Agree seems odd, he did le the pipework fully cool before carrying out a drop test on it?

AS to your question about avoiding copper theft, no reason he can't do external run in steel pipe.

if the plumber fitted a boiler and left it with leaking pipework then he needs to rectify the matter asap foc imho. you could mention this to him and mention you arent happy, and you can involve gas safe if the install was recent for their opinion. re copper pipe along an outside wall in a car park, the answer is no cant do, building regs would not allow it, minimum to use ms pipe and be clear of any risk of damage by cars hitting it. finally if the pressure drop has increased, his soldering cant be very good!!!!!!!!

Apologies the boiler was fitted in November 2012, and tested fine with no drop

Apologies the boiler was fitted in November 2012, and tested fine with no drop. It would appear that the leak came from an old joint his join for the new boiler was higher up. Not sure about the testing when system was cool. Apologies for the lack of info. With regards to the car park can the pipe at high level?

pipe needs to be clear of mechanical damage risk from cars.

Why not trust what your plumber is saying, if not get someone else to look at it and get their opinion/quote. Too many customers come on here complaining but are still going ahead with the work. No one is forcing you to have the work done.

Where does the pipe run currently? Is it just a case of removing the existing cupboards rather then cutting them?

Thanks for all the comments

The meter is next to my front door and then the pipe enters the house and i assume into the cavity then up to the second floor and along under my bathroom into the landing and into the airing cupboard, this is only a bit of an assumption as cannot see it exactly. So possibly around 4-5 joins in 3 metre pipe.

It is not about trusting my plumber, I do. Just trying to avoid the external pipe and avoid an explosion of sorts due to theft appreciate it can be housed. I understand the fact to make the install safe, But to be fair it is a lot of pipe on the front of the house and along the side. Without sounding bad it will put off perspective buyers will it not? I am a little annoyed that it has leaked so easily from the original install. What is the consideration of testing it cold?

If the install is checked while heat (from soldering) is still on the pipe the tightness test will show a drop as the pipe cools!!!

A 1mb drop is permissible as long as you can't smell gas. It may be very hard to find the source.

You should test it when cool, as the gas in a warm, cooling pipe is contracting and will register as a drop on a u-gauge.

So to replace/repair pipework along existing run would just mean taking up flooring on 1st floor. Alternative is external run, can be done in steel to prevent any theft concerns. At the end of the day the pipe needs to go from point A to point B there are only a limited number of routes it can take.

Testing when pipe is cold just avoids any false drops in pressure as it cools off after soldering.

Sorry guys, I didn't read the whole first post, too long. I assumed the install was tested with appliances connected

Ok so it may be worth getting him back to test as the all has been off for a few days now? U-Gauge is the water based tool testing the Mb i assume connected to the small valve on the meter.

Beat me to it!!!

I did read this, the boiler was isolated at that time. However i did notice a T join close to the boiler of the pipe and i am unsure where this would go to. The T join did come back ok from the sniffer

LDF is leak detection fluid!! By across the meter it means either a leak from the inlet or outlet or the meter itself, from the ECV or anaconda... Capping the meter would check all of this!!!

Apologies 0808 how do you mean so I can go back to him with some alternative testing

If he doesn't know how to check for this he shouldn't be doing job, and its not your job to tell him how to do his. Leave him to it unless you think he's taking the mick.

LDF is leak detection fluid!! By across the meter it means either a leak from the inlet or outlet or the meter itself, from the ECV or anaconda... Capping the meter would check all of this!!!

Thanks 01ST i will give him a call in the morning to discuss, please feel free to comment further

I agree with TBServies, don't go telling him his job!!! Get someone else in if you don't feel confident in him!!!

If one of my customers presumed to tell me how to look for a gas leak because he'd been on a forum, I'd be well ticked off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to GAS LEAK in existing 22mm copper pipe direct to boiler in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I want to reconnect some outbuildings to an existing water supply. The supply pipe is old 22mm MDPE and buried for a fair distance so not going to dig it up and replace it 😬. Question is can I use normal 22mm plumbing push-fit connectors to make the connection as finding 22mm MDPE fittings...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock