Discuss Over 3 mins to get hot water in kitchen - is this normal? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you know which section of building regs your quote came from so that I can refer to it. It does say it is only a recommendation though.

I had instructed private building control for my renovation project but the surveyor for some reason is not replying to my e-mails about this issue as I had asked him first whether 3+mins was normal before posting here.

3.7 g3

"Pipework should be designed and installed in such a way as to minimise the transfer time between the hot water storage system and hot water outlets."

also

"In small systems, with normal tap running times and a maximum delay of 30 seconds for the hot water to reach the outlet, the pipes would be subjected to sufficient temperature to kill Legionella (or inhibit growth) without the need of secondary circulation."

but something is wrong

Last edited:
Thank you Shaun. I presume my house despite being on 4 floors is still classified as a small system.

Thank you Shaun. I presume my house despite being on 4 floors is still classified as a small system.

yes was from my commercial book

could you measure how much water is drawn off before it becomes hot please?

if my math is right a bristan kitchen/ any tap has a flow rate of about 10-15 lpm (estimated)

so take it at 10 and you dont have hot water for about 3 mins

thats 30L does that sound about right (ballpark)

I can fill my kitchen sink to the top before it gets hot. Would the measurement of my sink be sufficient?

I can fill my kitchen sink to the top before it gets hot. Would the measurement of my sink be sufficient?

need to know how many l your sink holds :D you could try with 1 or 2 L bottle of pop and see how many it takes before you get hot water

Do you feel like there is something else wrong aside from not having the secondary return? I don't know why but something is not sitting right with the length of time the taps in my house is taking. My neighbour across the road lives in a very similar house but his combi boiler is located on the 3rd floor and he doesn't have to wait minutes to get hot water to his kitchen.

Actually, just thinking about this a bit more. I have another neighbour who lives in an identical house (these are new houses 11 years old on a new street so all the houses are built the same size and layout). He had a loft conversion but did not change his combi boiler. I am going to ask him to time how long it takes to get hot water in his loft.

Ah okay. I will do that tomorrow and post back. Thanks you so much and goodnight.

Do you feel like there is something else wrong aside from not having the secondary return? I don't know why but something is not sitting right with the length of time the taps in my house is taking. My neighbour across the road lives in a very similar house but his combi boiler is located on the 3rd floor and he doesn't have to wait minutes to get hot water to his kitchen.

Actually, just thinking about this a bit more. I have another neighbour who lives in an identical house (these are new houses 11 years old on a new street so all the houses are built the same size and layout). He had a loft conversion but did not change his combi boiler. I am going to ask him to time how long it takes to get hot water in his loft.

like i have said before factors on a few things like pipe runs/ length, is it insulated, dia of pipe work etc

tbh i would of put a secondary return in anyway as while your doing the lot its one extra pipe that can matter

and good night

Oh okay. I understand. It is difficult to make a real assessment without all the relevant information.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Over 3 mins to get hot water in kitchen - is this normal? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

The Water Board have just replaced the main water supply to our property. We have a ground floor combi boiler. The central heating system for the...
Replies
Views
I live in an apartment block where generally hot water is supplied from the communal hot water cylinder and cold water to bathrooms is supplied...
Replies
Views
M
Hello, We’ve recently moved into a fairly old, fairly big detached house (i.e. fairly draughty, but not too bad by any means) with a fairly new...
Replies
Views
MartinPod81
M
We have a utility room with a washing machine but no sink. Wife wants sink. There is room to fit one and the waste will connect to wahing machine...
Replies
Views
Low hot water pressure Hi everyone, I'm hoping someone is able to shed some light on my situation before I have to call out the professionals...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock