Discuss Am I a bad customer / job magnet in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
If materials are fitted as per quotation then at least they have to cover the materials .if however they have a genuine grievance with your work then that's another matter . Tell them the materials are non refundable and that that has to be paid as a minimum . Labour wise they are supposed to offer you a chance to repair the mistakes however I think you have a messy ones here ,get you terms out if I was you.

I am not a lawyer, but to the best of my understanding, the way the law stands: ''If a work man does work for you and you are not satisfied, you still have to pay them and give them the opportunity to put it right''.

OK, may be I have over elaborated on the work done and you are not satisfied?
Erm, in this case, the customer may claim that the work was not done as you did not commission the boiler and you pointed that the flue had been fitted wrong? The truth of the matter is that you recognised part of the installation was wrong and kindly pointed this out to the customer. The customer should have given you the opportunity to remedy the situation, appreciate your honesty and consideration for her and her families safety and paid you with a smile.

Why has she decided to get a family member to finish off the job? Considering she had access to a family member who is Gas Safe, why did she not get them to do the job in the first place?

On a final note, I am sorry to say your missus is RIGHT. You should have taken a deposit at the very least. I always make sure all materials are paid for in advance of work being done. Especially boilers, bathrooms, etc. If the customer is going to ''steal'' from me, let it just be my labour.
From the looks of things, this customer is going to get you well stressed. Bad news is, your missus will just compound your bad luck. I hope it gets sorted, but from the looks of things, you may be looking at taking her to Small Claims Court. GOOD LUCK BUDDY, I really hope she backs down and pays for materials and some labour, at least

They sound like awful people mate. Probably best to just get what money you can and right it off as an experience :)

i once had to fetch a bloke in to help me change a pump, I couldn't undo the pump nuts because I had a bad shoulder.

When the bloke came to help me, the customer refused to let me continue because he said I didn't know what I was doing :-(

some people are toss pieces mate and just like to be awkward.

The customers don't sound like the best, but look at it from their point of view and imagine being in their shoes.

There are problems from day one on the job,
The heating then doesn't work and someone else has to come along.
Then after the install is supposedly finished, they get told its been fitted wrong and it needs altering.
I am also guessing it has taken longer than they expected due to these circumstances.

Now this is not meant to be a pop at PJF at all, but maybe it will help it look at it from a different perspective and then help him with dealing with the customers.

If this happened to me in my house, I would assume the tradesman was incompetent (not saying you are, you seem to know what you are talking about from what I have seen on here) and I would most definitely not being paying in full. I would also be looking to get the work checked over and any alterations done by someone else and deducted from the bill for the original install.

Now this may be difficult but you need to grovel and offer to put right at your expense and then offer a discount on the job for the inconvenience caused, this is what I would do. We all have nightmares at work and make mistakes which ultimately cost us money, be it an incorrect diagnosis of a boiler fault, having a leak or managing to damage the customers property. It is how you deal with the customer and situation that counts.

I have read this epic - and certainly you are at fault - but hey !
we all make mistakes I did when I was young and silly. No ones dead !

Now the SERIOUS STUFF money - you are owed some but not all
I would bite the bullet go back talk and get some money out of them
OTHERWISE you might get zero. the materials are due and some of the
labour but not all -

Just go back and make deal - and get it sorted centralheatking

I would also be concerned about a possible counter charge I agree with chk over the lab our try get some of you can

The customers don't sound like the best, but look at it from their point of view and imagine being in their shoes.

There are problems from day one on the job,
The heating then doesn't work and someone else has to come along.
Then after the install is supposedly finished, they get told its been fitted wrong and it needs altering.
I am also guessing it has taken longer than they expected due to these circumstances.

Now this is not meant to be a pop at PJF at all, but maybe it will help it look at it from a different perspective and then help him with dealing with the customers.

If this happened to me in my house, I would assume the tradesman was incompetent (not saying you are, you seem to know what you are talking about from what I have seen on here) and I would most definitely not being paying in full. I would also be looking to get the work checked over and any alterations done by someone else and deducted from the bill for the original install.

Now this may be difficult but you need to grovel and offer to put right at your expense and then offer a discount on the job for the inconvenience caused, this is what I would do. We all have nightmares at work and make mistakes which ultimately cost us money, be it an incorrect diagnosis of a boiler fault, having a leak or managing to damage the customers property. It is how you deal with the customer and situation that counts.

Many thanks !! The worst part is they are having the boiler changed !!! Not all the problems were mine but I dropped the ball and dealt with them then I walked into a landmine and I'm hurting

It's certainly been a bum year for you so far dude but you have to at least save some face and cash on the job. :)

Tbh I would be happy with the boiler back nothing else money labour nothing just to put this one behind me

You'll get through this and crack onto the next job,the other downside to these type of problems is that this crust will probably tell half a dozen of her friends.

Was the job started on a hand shake or did you give them a written quote. because usually if it hasn't been commissioned ie not finished all sorts of problems can arise until final commission. and all parts supplied like trvs, lead slate even tube aren't the customers property until full payment. if you could prove somehow you had left it off ie un commisioned you might have a leg to stand on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Am I a bad customer / job magnet in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

S
Hi, I seemed to have a blockage in kitchen sink. A plumber came and cleared all the pipework that is visible inside my home (there was debris and...
Replies
Views
Sonya K
S
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is...
Replies
Views
Every two weeks or so I have to go and top up the system because the hot taps are running cold. Boiler display is flashing 0.6 bar and I fill up...
Replies
Views
PSxxxxxx
P
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock