Discuss Why are Transit Connects so expensive? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

WaterTight

Esteemed
Plumber
Subscribed
100k, no service history, £3k plus vat please.

Are they just invincible, palatial dream machines or something?

Mind you caddy's are just as pricey.

Half way to saving for first van. Something small, car-derived. Just wondering whether it's worth saving up the extra for one of these. What makes them so special? Is it just that they are "nicer" or is it that they are a better investment?

I had one on lease for just over a year, nice van, just the right size for me, but no nicer than my 07 fiat doblo that I have now.

i think the second hand market during times of struggle does over inflate due to less people buying new, so higher demand and less stock coming through.

Try having a look at an auction. There are commercial auctions most week days with ex lease stuff going through. Worth a look if you are not doing much else that day.
The prices will surprise you but remember to add vat to any sale prices.

To be honest, no idea, prob about 40mpg. I need to measure it next time I fill up. Could be better and I try to be a little lighter with my right foot, but it's hard when you have to run off for some bits or are trying to get home after a hard day.

Have you not considered leasing a van? You get a brand new van, can include servicing and breakdowns and after a few years you can either hand it back for another new one, buy it out right or just cancel it.
Payments are not that different from buying a second hand or used one. If interested, PM me I can give you the details of a company in Wales who deliver nationwide and I recommend them.

alot of bargains in auctions, you will have to add vat and buyers fee, and probably have to spend some money to get it repaired, bring a mechanic if you can, i got a transit much cheaper than i would of off a dealer with less miles even after i spent 1k to repair it, Transit is ideal for me don't know how I would cope with a smaller van imho my van is a riot at the moment been planning to gut it out and build shelves the past 2 weekends but typical weather its nice until the weekend then it decides to pour down.

The trouble is with buying cars/vans is, its a mugs game buying them new and its a mugs game buying a second hand one.

Buy second hand and you buy someone elses problems and buy new and it costs a small fortune and is a deprieciating asset.

Maybe leasing is the best option, eh system?

I hade a transit conect lwb high roof
Hated it got rid after 6 months hard to run not enough power

the reason for one van being priced higher tan another is purely demand connects have a reasonably good record mechanically and are quite fashionable as the van to be seen in this means dealers give more for them at auction and the retail price rises in response a lot of late ones are being shipped out to malta therefore ac equiped ones are fetching a premium

just sold my connect for 2300 with 50k on a 04 plate so that seems like a bit pricey keep looking bargains can be had!

I bought a Citreon Berlingo about 3 months ago, 33000K, 57 plate £3000. It is diesel and does 50 to the gallon, or 11 to the litre in these modern times. I took out the factory fitted bulkhead and fitted a new one about 10 inces further back, I also installed a false floor that I can access from the front and from the back. I keep large plastic boxes full of spares under the floor and also those tools that are not used very often. There is a large storage area under the passenger seat and a smaller area under the drivers seat. The passenger seat folds flat and I made a hole in the bulkhead to fit a 2m length of 110mm pipe with an end cap, this is where I keep all my pipe. It will only carry 2m lengths so will probably invest in a roof rack and pipe carrier in the future. I love it, however if you are a heating engineer and need to carry radiators and boilers it would probably not be big enough.

I had a Connect LWB high roof and it was a cracking van. Wasn't great on fuel, but I used to give it some and I mainly drove round towns. You need to service them to keep them running well, but even if you don't they will start every morning. Good load bay and the drive nicely.

Now have a Berlingo 2 SWB. Doesn't drive nice as if feels like it is made from cardboard and the suspension is too soft. It's great on the motorway though. Good on fuel and comfy. The load space isn't as good as the Connect, but I imagine the LWB is better.

I like the Connect and I think lots of people think the same. Transits have a good name in the UK, you see loads of them and there is a reason.

Argh it's all so confusing. It's ok for those who are interested in cars and know what they're doing. I torn between spending 3k on something that's meant to be decent and going to last and just chucking 500 quid at something with a year's mot and hope for the best.

Id go for somthing thats gonna last and look half decent always looks good turning up in a nice smart van shows you have pride in your apperance and reputation

A guy I do some work for really rated his old Doblo before he out grew it. He's considering getting a Ducato because he rates Fiat vans and wants something bigger than the Vivaro he has now which by the way, is another good van.

...or that you charge too much!

Seems to me that expensive vans are relatively recent trend with this trade. Traditionally plumbers drove around in tatty old heaps didn't they? Infact the older plumbers in my area still do. Seems the younger the plumber the more likely he's in a new transporter, pimped out with alloys and 800 quid sign-writing. Might just be a sign of the times though - image being more and more important.

Argh it's all so confusing. It's ok for those who are interested in cars and know what they're doing. I torn between spending 3k on something that's meant to be decent and going to last and just chucking 500 quid at something with a year's mot and hope for the best.

Thats what I did to get me mobile when the misses needed the car. Been lucky so far as it's been very reliable.

Id go for somthing thats gonna last and look half decent always looks good turning up in a nice smart van shows you have pride in your apperance and reputation

However, I also agree with the above - first appearances and all!

Will probably look to upgrade my van in the new year - knowing my luck I'd end up with something less reliable but just looks better!!

Not just plumbers with decent vans these days. Loads of builders, electricians, council home maintenance companies, carers, nurses and even window cleaners!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Why are Transit Connects so expensive? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock