Search the forum,

Discuss Transit vs Vivaro/Traffic/Primastar in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

tolly

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Hi, Im after a new van, I havnt got the money to get a decent transporter really so im down to either a transit swb mk6 (56 onwards) or a vivaro (06 onwards). I have about 6k to play with, what would you get and what do you think is more reliable?

I love the look of the vivaros and how they drive but im put off by the horror stories of the chocolate Renault gearboxes in them and the common stuck knackered gearboxes in them etc. I don't want a hiace, I know they are bullet proof but there a bit too agricultural for me, also I don't really want a vito for a few reasons. Has anyone found the mk6 transits to be better than the vivaros?

out of the transit and pile of cack the vivaro etc,i would get a transit,yes they can rust bad but there a lot more reliable,mate of mine last week lost the engine in his vivaro it seized injector fault apparently,he was just picking it up from having a windscreen replaced

The vivaro's look pretty, but everyone I know who has had one pays a fortune every time they go wrong. Anything over 100,000 miles os worthless. Transits have their problems, but the parts are cheap.
Try one of the ex utility transits. They may look a bit tatty, but they get properly maintained.

Ex council transits are (usually) serviced every 3-6 months, and most haven't got 150,000 miles on the clock :)

Thanks for the replys. I know the facelift vivaros from 56 onwards with the 2.0 chain driven engine are better than the older 1.9 belt driven ones but I still hear of a lot of problems with the facelift ones. I think the transit will probably earn me more money in the long run

I had a 07 Trafic from new, did 122k in it over 6 years, had the usual recalls sorted, aircon repaired, new drivers seat and a radio replaced all under the warranty, only fault I had to pay for was a new air flow meter at 115k miles, was still on original clutch too, replaced it with a Vivaro now!!

And yes, the main reason I wanted a vivaro is they look nicer and drive a bit better, but I cant hide from the stories of them always having problems, Even if I can get a 57 plate with around 50-60k miles for my budget.

I've had 3 since 2002. Never had a fault that kept me off the road. Maybe I've been lucky but I find them to be a great van very comfy, good on diesel

Have you looked at a vito six k should get you one . I've had two superb vans

Have a look at a Citroen relay or fiat and Peugeot versions.

I'm on my second now and there good vans.

big box shape rear is great for racking out.

56 onwards is mk7 transit,I had a few vivaros around 52 plate and most gave me problems but they were nice to drive, but having said that I currently run an 09 transit and used my mates 11 plate vivaro and was glad to get back in my transit it felt much nicer to drive but that could also be familiarity.

Transit advice stay clear of the 5 speeds I spent nearly £1000 a month on fuel some months doing the same journeys I did in the vivaro that sed to cost me £700! And that was with a roof rack that I no longer have.

Im im looking into the Citroen vans at the minute but I can't find one on a forecourt to view and test drive before I look around for one

Transit all day long.
Im in a hire van while my tranny gets repaired.
Its a six speed vivaro 2012
I had it three days and the side door fell off the arm on the side slider. The gearbox is very clunky at only 40kmiles.
The flap that you open to access the petrol cap falls off every time you use it and the bonnet and side panels feel as though they are made out of the same stuff as a can of carling.
The reverse parking sensor has a mind of its own.and every time you get in it the door never shuts properly so you have to open it and slam it shut.

The only plus side is its quiet and quick, drives like a car and does 800 miles on a tank.

Cant wait to have my transit back...

I think my minds made up, Im going to get a transit, ive heard too many bad words spoken about the vivaros

I will have to try and find a rust free one as I know trannys and vitos seem to rust like anything. Need something asap, my berlingo van im using is far too small, ive grown quite attached to it though, its got the 2.0 hdi DW10 engine in it which is pretty bomb proof. At least I think the transits use a 2.2litre engine made by PSA (Peugeot) aswell.

Ive just got hold of a new dispatch lwb.
Happy so far. ..

Quiet in the cab. Cant hardly hear engine compared to my mates tdci transit like a tractor

6 cube in the back. 1200kg payload

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1398292392728.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1398292392728.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 36
Nice van them, thought about it a while back after a pal got one but I'd be over weight in it too often. You park that and a vivaro side by side you'll be splitting hairs trying to find the size difference

Think the swb vivaro is about 5 cube.
I used to have one when I worked for bg on electrical side..turbo lag was unreal lol.
This can carry a tad more than the viv

You do love that nv200....hang on a minute he said 400 now there's a real van standing room in the rear 3meter lengths in side even room for a kettle and recliner in the back

Talbot express now THAT was a van! Barn doors on the side! No turbo no power steering and the quater light used to undo so you could get a breeze without having to lower the window full height gear lever too how many of you remember those???

Ahhhhh talbot.
Set the tappets with a screwdriver instead of feeler guages lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Transit vs Vivaro/Traffic/Primastar in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all Noticed bad smell in my drain out side put my hand down and it unclogged it for now however I checked my sewer drain and after flushing my toilet a good few times nothing is going to the sewer so don't know is there a blockage or what way it works many thanks and advice would be grateful
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi, I have an old steel water mains pipe (approx 45mm) that I need to connect to a new pehd water mains (25mm). I can't get at it to create a new thread so what's the best way of connecting the two? Cheers, Peter
Replies
Views
Copper pipes, I think its fair to say, is not what it used to be, the copper is getting thin while the cost is going up. Meanwhile, plastic Pushfit seems to be getting better and better, cost and convenience was always better, but now the quality is to, have we reached a stage where plastic will...
Replies
Views
Hi, My current hot water system needs to be replaced. Anyone got any suggestions or can recommend any plumbers around Derrimut area that won't rip me off? An office guy recommended me to apply for government rebates and get it installed through timetosave.com.au. How reliable is this...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock