Search the forum,

Discuss Sparky Question in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Steve @ TheHeatingHub

Ok so firstly I am not a big fan of electics but would like to get some info in regards to the following project.

I have a new house (2009) so the main board has rcd protection and the wiring would conform to the regs in that year I am not certain about the month though.

I need to get power to the garage outside (5-15meters away depending where I put the power socket in the garage) but am unsure of the best/legal way to do so.

My first thought was to add a rcd spur to the downstairs socket ring main and run 2.5 armoured cable underground(is there a specific depth?) into the garage and stick a double socket(used for lights and a fridge) which I thought would be fine. However I would like to turn the garage into a pub and do not think that 1 double socket will be enough and I do not want to have some shock horror multiple 4 plug extension lead scenario :)

I have now thought that it would be better to extend the ring main (not sure of the best way of doing this, just remove a socket and use a junction box?) that does not sound like a great idea but does it meet regs ? I have even thought about putting in an additional fuse box into the garage for better protection but I cannot get a cable back to the consumer board in the house. I would have preferred to do it this way.

I know guys at work with part P but know feck all about electrics so was hoping onw of you guys could help me out :)

thanks in advance

Try popping over to the electricians forum

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

aye have just registered just noticed the tab at the top hehe :)

Best advice I can give is buy yourself a treble skinned tin helmet before you go in there asking questions.

Nah!, they are pussycats since the Plumbers Forum showed them the error of their ways.

Ok so firstly I am not a big fan of electics but would like to get some info in regards to the following project.

I have a new house (2009) so the main board has rcd protection and the wiring would conform to the regs in that year I am not certain about the month though.

I need to get power to the garage outside (5-15meters away depending where I put the power socket in the garage) but am unsure of the best/legal way to do so.

My first thought was to add a rcd spur to the downstairs socket ring main and run 2.5 armoured cable underground(is there a specific depth?) into the garage and stick a double socket(used for lights and a fridge) which I thought would be fine. However I would like to turn the garage into a pub and do not think that 1 double socket will be enough and I do not want to have some shock horror multiple 4 plug extension lead scenario :)

I have now thought that it would be better to extend the ring main (not sure of the best way of doing this, just remove a socket and use a junction box?) that does not sound like a great idea but does it meet regs ? I have even thought about putting in an additional fuse box into the garage for better protection but I cannot get a cable back to the consumer board in the house. I would have preferred to do it this way.

I know guys at work with part P but know feck all about electrics so was hoping onw of you guys could help me out :)

thanks in advance
I know I'm going to get flack for this. But shouldn't you get a sparky, and take our own advise about using professionals.

It's a notifiable job so will need signing off just like a boiler. You could take a spur off the ring into a glanced junction box then steel wire armoured cable into garage. From here you could go into a garage unit protected by a 13A MCB and a radial circuit for sockets as long as you like with as many sockets as you like. The best solution would be to tael a new circuit off the consumer unit but if this is no way possible you've not got many other options.

No edit button glanced should read glanded and tael should read take !

so could I spur of a ring main and put in an additional consumer board and wire up plugs and lights off of that ? Small load of couse

You can spur off the ring main via a 13amp double pole fused spur then run into the garage.
What you do afterwards regarding a consumer unit, radials etc is up to you.
Just remember that your main circuit on the house emust be protected by a 30ma RCD and your garage supply will be limited to 13amps.

thanks for all your help:) I'm currently digging up the garden for the duct and amoured to go down, this is worse than working in lofts :/

Just thinking about this, there is no reason why you couldn't spur off in 6mm and have 32A out into the garage as far as i'm aware.

Just thinking about this, there is no reason why you couldn't spur off in 6mm and have 32A out into the garage as far as i'm aware.

Sorry, A spur off of a ring feeding radials needs to be as I described earlier IMO.

OCPD is 32A, cable is capable of this easily (could use 4 mm but was taking into account de rating factors of buried SWA cable) can't see a problem myself. The 13A is only there to protect the cable, which we would assume to be 2.5mm due to terminal size issues.

If your taking it into a garage board the radials can be protected accordingly at the board.

I'll pop the question onto the electricians forum and double check as I may not be aware of a specific regulation preventing this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Sparky Question in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

B
    • Friendly
Hi, I've followed this excellent forum for several years but have never posted, so decided I'd better give some details. My status is the upper end of DIY and I've a couple of house renovations under my belt (my own homes) I am retired but do volunteer handyman jobs for the elderly. Not...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
We are from Alberta, and I own an electrical company. I have been asked by a BC Mechanical P. Eng. to install an emergency STOP button at the man-door to the boiler room. It's intent is to 'halt' the operation of the boilers in the room should there be an emergency. He is demanding that I do...
Replies
Views
Hi, I have an old steel water mains pipe (approx 45mm) that I need to connect to a new pehd water mains (25mm). I can't get at it to create a new thread so what's the best way of connecting the two? Cheers, Peter
Replies
Views
Hello, I am seeking some advice, I have a POTTERTON PROMAX 28 COMBI Boiler and I noticed yesterday that the water around the house is no longer warming up. The heat exchanger has been changed 6 months ago, so I do not believe it is that. Does anyone have any ideas on what it could be? Thanks
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock