Discuss Sealing olives in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

There seem to be a few camp on compression fittings, some people just fit an olive, others olive with PTFE tape and a third group olive and paste.

I’ve never bothered with tape etc and never had an olive leak.

Are the other options a DIY thing or are people taught one to the olive + tape etc?

No olive and a quality potable universal paste for me , Gas wise we are encouraged to use no paste but unless you are using Prestex , or Conex I will still add a small amount to the pipe not into a fitting belt and braces , the only time I would use ptfe on a olive is connecting a compression fitting to Hep or speedfit . Kop

No olive and a quality potable universal paste for me , Gas wise we are encouraged to use no paste but unless you are using Prestex , or Conex I will still add a small amount to the pipe not into a fitting belt and braces , the only time I would use ptfe on a olive is connecting a compression fitting to Hep or speedfit . Kop

You don’t use the copper bit with one of these?

17614D6D-C303-410E-9999-C2D246F58039.jpeg

You’ll find the domestic plumbing world is all about deviation from all sorts of things - it’s a question of making it work with what’s already there and this often involves a good deal of improvisation.

For me that is half the fun - and why imho experience and lateral thinking are needed as much as ‘qualifications’

You’ll find the domestic plumbing world is all about deviation from all sorts of things - it’s a question of making it work with what’s already there and this often involves a good deal of improvisation.

For me that is half the fun - and why imho experience and lateral thinking are needed as much as ‘qualifications’

We do plenty of stuff Blue Peter would be proud of too but I’ve never been in a situation where a properly cleaned/prepared pipe didn’t seal with an olive. If I see thread tape sticking out the back of a fitting it immediately screams DIY. Wasn’t sure if this was actually accepted practice in some situations.

Reply to Sealing olives in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

S
Hi, hope all is well! I’ve fitted a compression cap on two of my shower mixer copper pipes (15mm). One of them has scratches and burring and is...
Replies
Views
A
Hi, I am replacing a leaking push fit flexi tap connector under the bath with a compression fitting flexi. The problem is that the old pipe seems...
Replies
Views
J
Hi, I had some taps changed last year and it turns out one had a very slow leak. It caused quite a lot of damage and the company that fitted...
Replies
Views
I have had no end of trouble recently fitting a heated towel rail. First problem is tightening the fittings so that it is tight in the correct...
Replies
Views
Pinhole in Black Alkathene 17.5 3/8" under concrete driveway. Hello, we have managed to 'dink' the mains water supply to our house, during some...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock