Discuss Radiator fittings types???? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

spadders

Hi Guys,
I'm just coming to the end of a refurb at home, and fitting a new rad in the dining room, but just noticed that the trv and lockshield are 15mm compression type fittings, which means I'll have to drain the whole system down if I need to take the rad off in future, instead of just closing the valves.
Are they all like this now? or can you still buy the older type valves.
Incidentally, it is a Kudox rad from Screwfix, I checked and all their valves look the same.

thanks guys

Hi snowhead,
thanks for the reply, but I think I must be missing something.
The pipework is roughly a 3rd of the way across the rad and comes out of the wall just below, and runs along the underside in each direction then 90 up to the valves. the radiator tails need at least 15mm clearance each side to remove once fitted, and there will be virtually no play in the pipes.
Either that or I'm just looking at this completely wrong.
Thanks again

If you are asking if you can still get union radiator valves, yes you can however they are not supposed to be used on a sealed central heating systems. If you have a combi or system boiler or there are no tanks in the loft then you have a sealed central heating system. If you only want a union valve because you want to be able to remove the radiator for decorating in the future you can still do that with the compression valves you have on your radiator. You just need a little flex in the pipe so you can pull the rad tail clear of the valve.

Solutions how come you can't have union nuts on unvented, never knew this? Not as strong connection? Not long finished NVQ'S so sorry if it's a trivial question. :)

Solutions I too didn't realise that union type valves could not be used on a sealed system??

Learn something every day!!

Surprises me...
less chance of a union pulling off than an olive.....

I didn't know this either.
mind you, haven't used union valves for years.

as a side note what don't valve manufacturers make tails with an "o" ring like air taps?

as a side note what don't valve manufacturers make tails with an "o" ring like air taps?

Because heavy handed plumbers would over tighten them and split the ring

You can get self sealing tails with o ring

If you are asking if you can still get union radiator valves, yes you can however they are not supposed to be used on a sealed central heating systems. .

Poppycock!
I never heard this before but thats not to say that there isnt some guidance out there advising against it, but come on surely you recognise that a high percentage of lockshields are the union type on combi and other systems...without any issues year after year
Usually only manual valves get upgraded to trv.......

Hi snowhead,
thanks for the reply, but I think I must be missing something.
The pipework is roughly a 3rd of the way across the rad and comes out of the wall just below, and runs along the underside in each direction then 90 up to the valves. the radiator tails need at least 15mm clearance each side to remove once fitted, and there will be virtually no play in the pipes.
Either that or I'm just looking at this completely wrong.
Thanks again

Where pipes come out of the wall behind the rad swap to plastic....

Just as a side thought, Arn't all the connections under a combi unions?

Solutions how come you can't have union nuts on unvented, never knew this? Not as strong connection? Not long finished NVQ'S so sorry if it's a trivial question. :)

I honestly dont recall where I learnt that but apparently there not rated for the pressure. I understand there are some now that include a rubber oring on the male union face which are rated for the pressure. I shall try and get confirmation from some valve manufacturers.

I always have preferred union type rad valves because they break apart without any need for movement. Never had any trouble with the good quality types, but most valves & particularly TRVs are not union any more.
Can't see any problem with extra pressure a sealed system would have on them & a lot of sealed systems do have some union rad valves without leaks.

Haha didn't think my question would get that many responses sorry to take over from original question, would be good to know if there is any manufacturers that advise against using union connections.

PTS do them as a boss brand valve among others.

As far as the difficulty in obtaining union type valves goes this is probably a manufacturing issue more than anything else.
There is no reason union connections will make any less effective seal than a compression indeed it is a stronger joint as the only way it will come apart is through failure of the nut.
Every man and their dog knows that you can always pull an olive no matter how much it has been compressed.

Just a thought as well but the pump valves are union fittings and there ok

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Radiator fittings types???? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, I need to remove some radiators for redecorating and went to try and shut off the valves either side of my rad. I have TRV on one side and on...
Replies
Views
Morning all. I hope this is the correct place for this post. If not i'll happily move it to another forum area. I am renovating a property and...
Replies
Views
Hoping somebody can help, So, in a nutshell… Standard 90s Westbury home – condensing boiler, pump, wall thermostat, etc etc... Normal, common or...
Replies
Views
I have had a problem where 2 downstair radiators are not heating up the same as the rest of the radiators around the house, now previously i had...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Hello Plumbers I’ve replaced a 540mm high cast iron rad with 740mm high, like for like but still a 20mm valve extension was required. All was...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock