Discuss Radiator fittings types???? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

spadders

Hi Guys,
I'm just coming to the end of a refurb at home, and fitting a new rad in the dining room, but just noticed that the trv and lockshield are 15mm compression type fittings, which means I'll have to drain the whole system down if I need to take the rad off in future, instead of just closing the valves.
Are they all like this now? or can you still buy the older type valves.
Incidentally, it is a Kudox rad from Screwfix, I checked and all their valves look the same.

thanks guys

Solutions how come you can't have union nuts on unvented, never knew this? Not as strong connection? Not long finished NVQ'S so sorry if it's a trivial question. :)

I honestly dont recall where I learnt that but apparently there not rated for the pressure. I understand there are some now that include a rubber oring on the male union face which are rated for the pressure. I shall try and get confirmation from some valve manufacturers.

I always have preferred union type rad valves because they break apart without any need for movement. Never had any trouble with the good quality types, but most valves & particularly TRVs are not union any more.
Can't see any problem with extra pressure a sealed system would have on them & a lot of sealed systems do have some union rad valves without leaks.

Haha didn't think my question would get that many responses sorry to take over from original question, would be good to know if there is any manufacturers that advise against using union connections.

as a side note what don't valve manufacturers make tails with an "o" ring like air taps?

PTS do them as a boss brand valve among others.

As far as the difficulty in obtaining union type valves goes this is probably a manufacturing issue more than anything else.
There is no reason union connections will make any less effective seal than a compression indeed it is a stronger joint as the only way it will come apart is through failure of the nut.
Every man and their dog knows that you can always pull an olive no matter how much it has been compressed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Radiator fittings types???? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

S
Replies
Views
ShowerSmellProblems
S

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock