Search the forum,

Discuss Please HELP with new combi boiler , possible nightmare on my hands in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
are you having the window bricked up and if so did you say that to the company

No the plan was never to get the window bricked up , part of the problem is the boiler we should have had delivered was the wrong one , I originally had three places I was happy for it to go .

1) in kitchen cupboard on the wall on the side of the house ( no windows or anything near just bricks )

2) the loft - because it's not floored yet it was a no go

3)the storage cupboard - we don't use it for anything but were thinking of knocking it out possibly if we didn't fit the boiler into here , if the boiler could go in here then it would save us losing kitchen space ,

Obviously when the wrong boiler turned up option 1 was out of the window

Everyone who came out to quote said it could go in there but all said they would have to take the flue above the brick work , I thought that's what was going to happen . There is a empty void in the cupboard ceiling of about 14" I guess he just couldn't be bothered to go up and out .

if I even realised before he drilled the hole a would have asked about it .

They did come back yesterday to finish the work , if my pictures had wend up sooner on the forum and I was getting all of the advice in real time a would have took advice and not let them back , with me being new to the forum all of my posts come up as needing to be checked by a moderator so there is somewhat of a delay in posting .

I still refused to pay a penny though or fill in job sheets , sign etc , they did ask me to but I refused until the damage to the house etc is sorted, now with all of the information you guys have gave me it looks unlikely that this will be sorted anytime soon .
I have some other pictures of further work but again it won't let me post them .
I will seek advice and contact gas safe .
i cant have part of my house structurally unsafe , and if your saying its a potential fire hazard being mounted straight onto plywood this needs sorted too .

Thanks again everyone on the forum for the help and advice , I'll keep you updated with info and pictures if I can

Most modern boilers can be?
Honestly I don't do sarcasm ;)

how would you have fitted if not onto plywood ? I'm only asking as I really don't know . Your more than welcome to come and view it for a real close up look , I see your based in the north east , I don't know how far away you are but I could honestly do with an actual opinion . I'm in the ne28 postcode area .

p.s you can have the screwdriver

Obviously when the wrong boiler turned up option 1 was out of the window .

Sounds like youve had a bit of a mare. Hope you get it sorted.

On a lighter note, as sometimes a little chuckle can be good medicine, your comment did make me smile. Couple inches lower and the flue would have been.

Keep us updated.

most modern boilers are cold cased an as such can be mounted on a combustible surface you could check that with manufacturers instructions but it has to be secure which your doesnt look to be
the easist way out of the situation you find your self in would be to remove the window and all frames and have the window bricked up then the boiler could be rehung onto the brick work subject to clearances being correct
i would also get some clips on the pipework

The thing is because the window doesn't open and if there isn't permanent vents on the window then the being too close to window reg is fine. Like Steve said it's mostly older boilers that can be mounted onto wood. We have to do this on many occasions but even though there standard of work is terrible.

whether the window opens or not is irrelevant its the fact that they have destoyed the lintel and soldier arch

Did they ask if they could cover the window,
Both of the lintels are not structurally sound now and anything above, bricks/floor joist
Could fall down, I would strongly advise you get a structural engineer round ASPA

Blimey. I'm normally the first to defend tradesmen getting a rough ride but that is something else! As others have said there doesn't appear to be a lot holding the boiler on the wall. And the flue isn't screwed unless they've been back to sort that. I'd be very concerned. I'm sure there's a local guy on here who could take a look. Alternatively give gas safe a call, they will come and inspect free of charge.

If I remember a past post on here, I think you have to give them the option of making all good.
If not, your postcode NE28 sounds like a PUT RIGHT job for Ermi:)

Did they ask if they could cover the window,
Both of the lintels are not structurally sound now and anything above, bricks/floor joist
Could fall down, I would strongly advise you get a structural engineer round ASPA
They did ask if they could cover the window yes and I wasn't too bothered about it , its in a box cupboard after all . They were supposed to however take the flue into the void above they just couldn't be bothered I guess to do it .

With the covering the window I didn't know what they would use other than them saying they would board it out , I guess that means a scrappy bit of ply wood

Blimey. I'm normally the first to defend tradesmen getting a rough ride but that is something else! As others have said there doesn't appear to be a lot holding the boiler on the wall. And the flue isn't screwed unless they've been back to sort that. I'd be very concerned. I'm sure there's a local guy on here who could take a look. Alternatively give gas safe a call, they will come and inspect free of charge.
I had a feeling the job was going wrong somewhat hence why I contacted this forum , I am not an expert and know nothing about this trade so I reached out to you guys

they did do other work after the pictures you have seen but if you are referring to the flue being screwed to a bracket to hold its weight or something then it's not , it's floating .

Last edited by a moderator:
I had a feeling the job was getting worse , the job is not finished and they expected to come back to finalise things and get payments , I've said I won't confirm if they can even come back until the issue are resolved or at the very least put in writing so I gave it in black and white exactly what needs to be done , I will follow the advice of you guys and contact gas safe ASAP . I'll try to post up some pictures if it allows me but I'm unsure if it will .

the flue doesn't seal to the outside wall either so I guess it could potentially let fumes back into the house

imagejpeg
it looks like I can't post pictures from the ipad . If someone is active and is willing to post a couple of pictures I'll send them to your email straight away
thanks in advance

Open a photobucket account and link from there - we all want to see the 'progress'

If the job hasn't been finished I doubt that gas safe will be able to do a great deal unfortunately.

That first picture worrys me a look seems like the lintel is moving already as already stated do not pay em a penny , have you checked there registration on the gas safe website?

If the job hasn't been finished I doubt that gas safe will be able to do a great deal unfortunately.
It is installed and switched on but there are other jobs they should have been doing like replacing valves on radiators for thermostat valves , they didn't have them all , they were going to try and fob me off and not fit them I think , anyway because of this it gave me the perfect out , they want to come back and finish the job and expected me to sign yesterday to say I was satisfied etc..and make payment , I've refused to sign or pay anything , I've said not to come back until all is sorted with the manager / owner of the company and I have it in black and white exactly what needs done and what I'm getting .
dont forget I also have 2 badly stained carpets and a big brown stain on my living room ceiling . I try to see the bright side of things but the wife is not too happy as you can imagine

I'm not a plumber but that pipework looks ok to me (don't all shout at me)

As for the mounting, that's another matter entirely - how much for a length of 4x2 and 12" of pipe for the flue ?

They are registered yes , I don't want to name them on here but I've emailed gas safe and included pictures this morning , they are yet to contact me back . I don't know how long to wait before I should expect a reply

They are registered yes , I don't want to name them on here but I've emailed gas safe and included pictures this morning , they are yet to contact me back . I don't know how long to wait before I should expect a reply

The company or the blokes who came to fit it ?

The company or the blokes who came to fit it ?

Both the company and the main fitter who came out and done the job are on , it has his picture and says

Domestic qualified for:

Caravan
Combustion Analysis
Cooker
Fire
Gas Boiler
Meters
Pipework
Range Cooker
Vented Cyl
Water Heater

I think they would on the basis of those photo's.

Shaun is perfectly at liberty to say he has lost all faith in this company after they seriously compromised the integrity of the structure of his house.

Check out photo bucket a few pages back until I find out how to upload pictures correctly :)

Hi shaun I am not a gas engineer who has undertaken expensive training,examinations and registration to enter on to the gas safe register.If I was would be really annoyed that others can throw out shoddy work like this and think it isun acceptable GSR grow some..brum

Last edited:
Putting Gas Safe aside for 2 seconds, that just violates common sense! How can anyone drill through a lintel like that and sleep at night.

Definitely needs reporting and putting right.

They did well to core through it, probably need a new core bit now, lol.
atleast they did a nice job making the window good outside. Not good.

I am actually shocked. Some of my work is to fix what other people have cocked up. In my experience there are only 2 reasons why people don't do it right.

1. They don't know any better. Like not teeing in cyl return last/putting TRV in room with stat.

2. They are lazy, have no pride in their work and want to make the most coin for least effort.

I think you know which they are.

Also, on a side note. I would get the professional opinion of a structural engineer quickly. Obviously to sort out the safety side of it, but you get his report in writing.

This means when you don't pay for the work (which I don't think you should), if the company try to start any legal action, you will have this report to throw back at them.

Normally you should give the installer a chance to rectify, but in this case I'm not sure it would be any use or good for your home....

And post in the Looking for Engineer section of this forum, as there will be someone close who can rectify the work to a GOOD standard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Please HELP with new combi boiler , possible nightmare on my hands in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two hole mixer but the cold water pressure is high mains fed and the hot is low pressure immersion tank fed. I've been trying to find info on what I...
Replies
Views
The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new brackets, dismantle that existing one and start again or I could try and re attach via those screws, removing the broken ones from the plate and wall...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I'm would like to extend an existing outside tap to another point in the garden. I'm about to pour a concrete patio and was hoping to run the water line underneath. There are existing drain (and who knows what) pipes running along the same wall so I'm nervous about digging too far...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock