Discuss Over 3 mins to get hot water in kitchen - is this normal? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm still very confused by your ridiculously poor flow rate at the kitchen tap

and I think you've hit the nail on the head. Due to the plumbers poor English I suspect that the builder has been answering a lot of these questions when he's not qualified or knowledgable enough to do so. Some builders are ace and know a lot but many know building and no other trade and will talk the talk in order to win work and will worry about the consequences afterwards. I think you already said earlier that the plumber did recommended a secondary circuit and obviously I realise that due to cost you didn't go for it. Makes me question why the builder is undermining his plumbers advice. Could be a costly mistakes. I would still be pushing to see your plumbers qualifications as it does set alarm bells ringing that none of the benchmark paperwork is filled out. If he's not qualified then it does add additional weight to your argument which could be useful. I'm not really backing either side here but it sounds to me like a right communication cock up

Just for the record, the plumber never recommended a secondary circuit. This is the e-mail that the builder sent to me in July 2015.

"..speaking to plumber today I should ask wether you required hot water circulating ring. This is not necessary required as is only for comfort. I have not quoted for it and should you require would be £1150 extra. Circulating ring sometimes useful if some clients wants instant hot water. It can be switched off or it also can be put on timer. To explain in short, when you open hot water tap in shower, hot water will start running in about 20-40 seconds depending on how far are they from the cylinder and how long time ago it was used. With circulating ring on hot water would appear in few seconds."

The shower he is referring to relates to the shower in the loft en-suite. There was no indication that the taps for the rest of my house would be affected.

From his e-mail, especially as he then later wrote that "it is not really required" made it feel there was a choice and it was not a necessity.

Just seems odd that they'd even suggest it if it wasn't suitable. I still think part of your problem is flow related

On any system of that size I would spec and quote for a secondary return as standard and would only agree to not fit it if the customer put it in writing to me that they don't want it. Its poor system design to not have it.

I always thought on the flow at tap might be part of the problem. Especially as new plumbing has been done or if it is a new kitchen tap. Could be debris in the tap airator, or check valve or isolating valve. Always check the simplest and most obvious thing first. I am sure the OP won't mind extra water flow from the tap to increase the speed of hot water delivery.

I agree with the above. Flow is obviously a big issue but a secondary hot water circuit would've been the simple choice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Over 3 mins to get hot water in kitchen - is this normal? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

The Water Board have just replaced the main water supply to our property. We have a ground floor combi boiler. The central heating system for the...
Replies
Views
I live in an apartment block where generally hot water is supplied from the communal hot water cylinder and cold water to bathrooms is supplied...
Replies
Views
M
Hello, We’ve recently moved into a fairly old, fairly big detached house (i.e. fairly draughty, but not too bad by any means) with a fairly new...
Replies
Views
MartinPod81
M
We have a utility room with a washing machine but no sink. Wife wants sink. There is room to fit one and the waste will connect to wahing machine...
Replies
Views
Low hot water pressure Hi everyone, I'm hoping someone is able to shed some light on my situation before I have to call out the professionals...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock