Search the forum,

Discuss Water Supply from Washing Machine Feed in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

We have a utility room with a washing machine but no sink. Wife wants sink. There is room to fit one and the waste will connect to wahing machine waste but the problem is in the water supply. Currently there is only hot and cold washing machine hose fitting isolators attached to very short (2cm?) lengths of copper pipe coming out of the wall (the hot is not in use).
QUESTION: How can I provide hot and cold water to my new sink from existing provision while still providing cold feed for the washer?

I am only a DIYer but I have done a few plumbing jobs around the house. I dont have the facilities to bend copper pipe or solder but I have used plastic pipe successfully.Hope some kind soul can help. Please.

Turn off the hot and cold supply. Remove the washing machine valves and replace them with two 15mm isolation valves. Make sure the iso valves are off and turn on the water. That will give you the start to plumb in a sink and add feeds for the washing machine. Don't forget to drain down through the washing machine valves before removing them.

Last edited:
Turn off the hot and cold supply. Remove the washing machine valves and replace them with two 15mm isolation valves. Make sure the iso valves are off and turn on the water. That will give you the start to plumb in a sink and add feeds for the washing machine. Don't forget to drain down through the washing machine valves before removing them.
Many thanks. Obvious when you put it like that! I see what you mean. I will post again as I progress with the job and share the snags.

Ok, here is a follow up. I dont have the confidence to drain the system to replace the washing machine service valve with a standard 15mm service valve. Is there any possible way of connecting the hot water tap tail to the washing machine hot feed service valve. Is there some sort of adaptor on the market? There isn't enough pipe visible to use a freeze kit so I am at a loss.

What is your hot water system; gravity cylinder, unvented cylinder, combi boiler?
Definitely not a combi boiler: we have a traditional gas boiler. Maybe our system is gravity cylinder? We have hot water storage cylinder on upstairs landing and a cold water tank in the loft. There is an electric pump which distributes hot water and pumps central heating with a gate valve.

Definitely not a combi boiler: we have a traditional gas boiler. Maybe our system is gravity cylinder? We have hot water storage cylinder on upstairs landing and a cold water tank in the loft. There is an electric pump which distributes hot water and pumps central heating with a gate valve.
What you could try, seeing as you're a bit nervous about changing the W/M valves. Get some 3/4 iron to 15mm copper reducers or reducing bush and fit them onto the W/M valves. Go to a stockists like Wolesley who will source the correct fittings for you.

Thanks for reply. Not worried about swapping out the cold feed, its the hot that concerns. Locating the cold water inlet to the storage tank will be a challenge and even if I find it, the gate valve will likely be seized. I could drain the header tank but I did this once before and found air locks in the hot top taps which were a bugger to get get rid of. Dont want all the hassle. I think I will go down the freeze jacket rout. There isnt much pipe showing but even if I can get it partly frozen I should have time to change the valve with only a small spillage (famouse las words?). Anyhow, I'll let you know how I get on.

I would try the gate valve from cold water storage to hot water cylinder. If it shuts off you are all set to change the wash/mac to an isolator. If it nearly shuts off then ditto if you’re quick.
If it won’t shut off, or won’t re-open once you’ve finished, then drain the cws tank and replace the gate valve with a full bore lever valve - this will help you in the future.

Here is an update. I tried the freeze method on the hot washing machine service valve. All was going well till I got the nut loose enough to pull off the valve then "whoose" out cam ice plug followed by water. Luckily I had the new iso valve ready to go so was able to stop the flood in a few seconds. Came close to a heart attack but got the job done. I used speed fit pipes for the hot and cold all seemed to be going well. aSomeone used the washing machine and all was good till second load when another whoose. The speed fit pipe was spat out from the iso valve and I legged it to the stop valve. This was a bigger flood but no damage done. I replaced plastic to iso with a short copper section and then joined plastic to that. So far all good.
QUESTION: why did cold feed iso valve eject the plastic pipe? I used brass olive and wrapped it in ptfe tape. I wondered if I hadn't used enough tape but I didnt fancy experimenting so as I said, I resorted to copperpipe. Another issue is, I used a full bore iso because I thought there would be insufficient water pressure.
QUESTION: was it a mistake to use a full bore iso? Should I go back and replace it with a standard iso?

Insert was fully in and l tightened the nut and olive so there was no sign of a leak when water fully restored. I checked for half a day before allowing washing machine to be used. Maybe it wasn't tight enough given the pressure it was under when washer in use. I guess that is the most likely cause. Is it standard practice to connect plastic to metal iso valves without problems?

Insert was fully in and l tightened the nut and olive so there was no sign of a leak when water fully restored. I checked for half a day before allowing washing machine to be used. Maybe it wasn't tight enough given the pressure it was under when washer in use. I guess that is the most likely cause. Is it standard practice to connect plastic to metal iso valves without problems?
Yes it is standard practice. You can connect plastic pipe to any compression fitting as long as you use an insert and compress the olive enough.

When the pipe came out of the iso valve was the insert and olive left in the iso valve?

Yes it is standard practice. You can connect plastic pipe to any compression fitting as long as you use an insert and compress the olive enough.

When the pipe came out of the iso valve was the insert and olive left in the iso valve?
All a bit of blurr. I think the olive and insert were still on the pipe but not 100%. It could be that the insert was left in the iso. As I say all a bit of blurr given the panic at the time!

I used the insert with the blue o rings because I heard they were better than the standard plastic ones (John Guest Speed fit Super Seal)

Wrong insert you need the one without the blue oring

https://www.NoLinkingToThis/p/jg-speedfit-plastic-push-fit-pipe-inserts-15mm-10-pack/64318

As the depth isn’t enough for compression

I appreciate your interest in this issue. Yes, I just put a three inch length of copper into the iso and joined it to the plastic with Speedfit coupler. I feel so much more confident about it and so far no trace of a leak. I saw the idea of using copper on compression joints and then join to plastic on a You Tube discussion thread. The arrangement was labelled as "bomb proof". I was so traumatized by what happened, I liked the idea of "bomb proof".

Wrong insert you need the one without the blue oring

https://www.NoLinkingToThis/p/jg-speedfit-plastic-push-fit-pipe-inserts-15mm-10-pack/64318

As the depth isn’t enough for compression
Thanks, I wish I had known that at the time. Because they have the rubber O rings and they cost more, I assumed they would give a better seal so I used that one in the compression joint and the normal ones in the other joints.

Thanks, I wish I had known that at the time. Because they have the rubber O rings and they cost more, I assumed they would give a better seal so I used that one in the compression joint and the normal ones in the other joints.

There the super seal ones just for push fit fittings

Thanks Shaun, thats good to know. It would be helpful if the makers were to print that on the packaging.

When speedfit came out they one made that type (super seal) and they had a few claims through with compression popping off under pressure and then they brought the stnd inserts out but agree should be somewhere in big letters not for compression etc

Reply to Water Supply from Washing Machine Feed in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I want to reconnect some outbuildings to an existing water supply. The supply pipe is old 22mm MDPE and buried for a fair distance so not going to dig it up and replace it 😬. Question is can I use normal 22mm plumbing push-fit connectors to make the connection as finding 22mm MDPE fittings...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Copper pipes, I think its fair to say, is not what it used to be, the copper is getting thin while the cost is going up. Meanwhile, plastic Pushfit seems to be getting better and better, cost and convenience was always better, but now the quality is to, have we reached a stage where plastic will...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I'm would like to extend an existing outside tap to another point in the garden. I'm about to pour a concrete patio and was hoping to run the water line underneath. There are existing drain (and who knows what) pipes running along the same wall so I'm nervous about digging too far...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock