Discuss outside tap in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Aldred1990

hi guys what size drill bit would you recommend for drilling the hole for 15mm copper pipe. thanks

I use a marcrist 28mm core drill no breakout then usually sleeve 15 mm water pipe with a bit of overflow quick seal with brown lma job done

110 mm core bit

Makes sense really. If you use one of those kits from the sheds there's be no need to isolate and drain down in the winter. Just put it back in the warm through the 110mm hole. Could save the householder a fortune in burst pipe repairs.

Thinking about it, I'm lucky to see a gas pipe sleeved through a wall, let alone an outside tap...

[DLMURL="http://www.toptools-ireland.com/3pc-meter-long-sds-drill-bits-blackspur-hilka.html"]CONSTRUCTION :: DRILLS :: 3PC Meter Long SDS Drill Bits Blackspur / Hilka - Top Tools Ireland Ltd - Ireland's biggest retailer of high quality tools at very low prices[/DLMURL]

If you can gain access to Makro, these drills are £10.89+vat. They are also available in 450mm for £7.49+vat.
They might struggle on solid concrete but for normal household bricks and blocks, they have never let me down.

Last edited by a moderator:
!CCHBe-gBGk~$(KGrHqJ,!lYEz+y84ofTBNKHmI,k+!~~_1.JPG
Keep it tight and use this, for best job ever.

I use a 16mm bit first followed by a 20mm bit and insert 20mm electrical conduit which the 15mm copper glides through:

Copyright_Keefy.jpg Pipe_Sleeve_20mm.jpg

Last edited:
neat keefy, why sleeve it alot folk do and dont some time i do some i dont,

I use a 24x1000 bit available from Toolstation .

I use this too & also as said the 24mm x1000mm bit from stoolstation. Again also sleeve it, preferably in plastic. Makes for easier removal & stops the copper pipe corroding IMO.

!CCHBe-gBGk~$(KGrHqJ,!lYEz+y84ofTBNKHmI,k+!~~_1.JPG
Keep it tight and use this, for best job ever.

DCV fitted inside ?

Of course - iso' and a drain cock too in cases where the pipe has to come into the tap from below.

Edit: Thought you were asking if that tap of mine had one fitted but if you're wondering why the diagram shows a DCV on the inside that's because the ones built into the taps are susceptible to freezing so you're now required to fit them inside the buildings envelope. Taps that incorporate an in-built check valve should now only be fitted as replacements or suitably protected from the elements.

Last edited:
i run my pipework right that, to allow the water to stop freezing

cheaper to pipe downwards and open the tap to drain it:)

I agree but if a customer wants it fairly high up and your coming from under the kitchen sink unit you have to compromise and add an extra few quid on the bill. Been asked a couple of times if I could keep it high to avoid kids' heads bashing into them.

I have always sleeved as best practice, particularly down to the corrosive effects of the brick mortar in copper piping.

I used to use a piece of 22mm copper as a sleeve but decided that if the cement/mortar is particularly corrosive then all you're doing by using a copper sleeve is postponing the innevitable leak that could arise. Plus electrical conduit is dirt cheap and looks neater.

I used to use a piece of 22mm copper as a sleeve but decided that if the cement/mortar is particularly corrosive then all you're doing by using a copper sleeve is postponing the innevitable leak that could arise. Plus electrical conduit is dirt cheap and looks neater.

Ditto that.

will this do the job Tower Conduit Heavy Gauge 20mm x 2m Length Black | NoLinkingToThis

How come whenever outside tap threads pop up on this forum it causes countless responses over how to do it from experienced plumbers

First year apprentice stuff imho

Ask any ten professionals the same question and you'll get nine differing answers :D

How come whenever outside tap threads pop up on this forum it causes countless responses over how to do it from experienced plumbers

Ok then, Let's change the direction.......

How long should it take?

How long should it take?

I've gave up saying how long things should take. With plumbing its never the same story from one job to another.

I changed a rad to a towel warmer.
Had to rip up laminate flooring in the bedroom next door so I could alter pipework.
It takes as long as it takes!!

How long should it take?

How long's a piece of string? If you want to fit one of those cheap and nasty efforts from Block & Quayle then 3 minutes and 6 seconds, if you want to do it the right way then anything from an hour to 5 hours. Not kidding - one customer wanted one fitted because she was having a garden party that afternoon, I was still there for the party. Bar steward of a job to do it was but got more work from the drunk guests. :)

True, but how often have you gone to a job to put some other numptys work right, that should have known better or witnesses bad practice from the very same ? It's a basic instal that should set a professional precedent.

about 2 feet 6" :smilewinkgrin:

Please let's not !!!

I've gave up saying how long things should take. With plumbing its never the same story from one job to another.

I changed a rad to a towel warmer.
Had to rip up laminate flooring in the bedroom next door so I could alter pipework.
It takes as long as it takes!!

How long's a piece of string? If you want to fit one of those cheap and nasty efforts from Block & Quayle then 3 minutes and 6 seconds, if you want to do it the right way then anything from an hour to 5 hours. Not kidding - one customer wanted one fitted because she was having a garden party that afternoon, I was still there for the party. Bar steward of a job to do it was but got more work from the drunk guests. :)

I was joking! Chris gets a point.

Kyle and Keefy go to the back of the queue!

Haha yes it can be seen as only an outside tap, but i agree, it should set the standards and satisfy the precedents of a professional install.

on a new installation, it should follow: ISO, DCV, through suitable sleeving and into tap, and yes if piping up to tap a DOC should be fitted, not only does it look professional, its common courtesy for the next plumber, who may be called round to change said tap, as it makes it easier for him (or may be you if you get repeat custom) to do a neat job without spilling a drop of water!

Haha yes it can be seen as only an outside tap, but i agree, it should set the standards and satisfy the precedents of a professional install.

on a new installation, it should follow: ISO, DCV, through suitable sleeving and into tap, and yes if piping up to tap a DOC should be fitted, not only does it look professional, its common courtesy for the next plumber, who may be called round to change said tap, as it makes it easier for him (or may be you if you get repeat custom) to do a neat job without spilling a drop of water!
Not forgetting consideration of the equipotential zone for bonding or insulated break.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to outside tap in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I’ve lost the pressure from the outside tap. It was working fine. I have checked the washer on the outside tap and the inside stop valve seen in...
Replies
Views
I had an outside tap fitted by a professional plumber last autumn. During the recent cold weather the feed pipe under the kitchen sink froze and...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm having an issue with my outside tap not working, the tiniest of dribbles comes put each time I try it. Ive changed the tap to no avail...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16...
Replies
Views
My outside tap has had really low pressure after the cold weather a few weeks ago. Its connected from under the kitchen sink, and can be isolated...
Replies
Views
Back