Search the forum,

Discuss OFTEC warranty insurance in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Bunker

As most of you will know, the Man requires new OFTEC folk to warranty their work for 7 years. I understood it would apply to new registrants but a firm called OFTEC insurance have been hounding me to take out an insurance policy now otherwise I can't submit works notifications. When I really screwed her down on it, we MUST have it by "early next year". So, while its only £52 per year, don't feel obliged to be blagged into getting it early.
Rascals.

Ignored it to date, as I cant understand how anyone can force us to take out a policy to cover poor workmanship. Part of belonging to oftec requires you to do work to the right standards!! Until they show me legislation to take out another insurance, it isnt happening. Will brickies have to insure against their wall falling down in 5 years time??

Might be helpful marketing tool, we don't get a lot of help gaining new customers for one pound a week.

My insurance has cover for both product and installation problems, I thought every policy had similar.

Does seem a bit convenient, that we are now required to have this, and they happen to provide it themselves, I think I'd rather they just bundled it all in the subs, including new books and all there other money spinning wheezes, we have to comply with.

The critical difference is that this covers the householder for 6 years and £10k in case the installer goes out of business. I cant find any government info, just OFTEC and also Benchmark, who say it is now mandatory.
OFTEC said that if we dont have it then we cant submit works notifications...all sounds a bit cosy to me - 100,000 OFTEC engineers paying £52 per year to cover customers for 6 years - a sweet £5million extra quid a year in their coffers....call me an anarchist but I smell a rat.

Does seem a bit convenient, that we are now required to have this, and they happen to provide it themselves, I think I'd rather they just bundled it all in the subs, including new books and all there other money spinning wheezes, we have to comply with.

Agree we should allowed to provide proof of our own cover, that said the OFTEC manufacturers better be at the top of their game with both products and service or they will be the cause of the claims.

And if it is a requirement why aren't gas safe telling us about it, and does the cover OFTEC are offering cover only oil installs of any thing

And if it is a requirement why aren't gas safe telling us about it, and does the cover OFTEC are offering cover only oil installs of any thing
Very good point. Also, what about non OFTEC installs, with Building Control certification (yes I know it never really happens), they wont be covered - its ironic that ONLY Competent Person Schemes (CPS) are being targeted for this.

I keep finding referances to GasSafe supplying a Workmanship Warranty, such as "You will have the reassurance of a 6 year insurance backed workmanship warrantyfrom Gas Safe on any work notified through the Gas Safe Gas Registration"
Perhaps its a question for GSR?

From OFTEC website FAQ:

What warranties should I expect?

All OFTEC Registered Companies must offer you a workmanship warranty. This workmanship warranty covers work done by Registered Technicians that is notifiable to building control.
The warranty protects you in the situation where work is found not to comply with building regulations and the contractor is no longer in business to do the necessary remedial work. The warranty is valid for six years from the date the original work was completed and allows for up to £10,000 of remedial work.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just pass the bill on to the cus, there just trying to get all new work carryed out by use guys reg with them, and corner the market and stop the guys out there that aint reg from working and getting all work notifed to building control

sparkies are having to do the same but why hasnt gas safe been pushing this down our throats as well if its law?

Its not law just policy with the body's, its a way like I said to make cuz want to use oftec plumbers by given the cuz the warranty

I bought this subject up when I joined OFTEC last year I was forced into taking out this insurance.

I was seriously bleeeeeped off.

It's out of order. Us registered engineers have to take out an insurance policy in case we install rubbish work, or go out of business. Yet joe bloggs who works quite legally on oil work (but isn't registered with OFTEC) doesn't have to.

Oh and OFTEC conveniently can provide the insurance. Oh thank you OFTEC how handy for me.

It's a cheap shot, and simply not fair.

The OFTEC registered engineer, isn't the one who's likely to leave a load of crap work behind. That'll be the domain of the unregistered fitter.

Can you imagine if OFTEC registration ever became mandatory? I reckon our training and registration fees would double over night.

OFTEC are just trying to justify their existence and make as much money as they can before they're history.

Warranty insurance as a marketing tool. Yeah right. I'm gonna get loads more work because of that! I don't think. I'd rather have my £50 odd quid back. The cert is in the cupboard and that's where it will stay.

I thought they had something special to offer, appears they don't perhaps that is because they were formed by the manufacturers?

Any tradesmans insurance provider can offer you warranty insurance. (i.e. so you can give an insurance backed warranty to your customers). Doesn't have to be through OFTEC. You'll probably get it a lot cheaper elsewhere anyway.

renewed oftec membership am today, pm call fm insurers trying to get hold of me, but I was out

I took out OFTEC insurance last year but won't renew this year as I've a better deal elsewhere.

I used the oftec insurance the year before, contacted the firm they use to provide the policys this year, about £100 cheaper direct

will they warrantee it for 6 years tho as required, and will that satisfy OFTEC - I doubt it

i dont expect the oftec insurance is worth the paper its on either if a customer had to claim

Oftec (workmanship) insurance only comes in to play if you have shut up shop anyway!

Oftec (workmanship) insurance only comes in to play if you have shut up shop anyway!
Yeah but OFTEC are saying now that if you dont have the Workmanship Warrantee then you wont be able to do any notifications.

Yeah but OFTEC are saying now that if you dont have the Workmanship Warrantee then you wont be able to do any notifications.

Yup! Which is why I was so peed off about it. If they want to make more money, why don't they just put their costs up? This is underhand. Forcing registered, legitimate businesses to take out an insurance that should be optional.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to OFTEC warranty insurance in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two hole mixer but the cold water pressure is high mains fed and the hot is low pressure immersion tank fed. I've been trying to find info on what I...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
We are from Alberta, and I own an electrical company. I have been asked by a BC Mechanical P. Eng. to install an emergency STOP button at the man-door to the boiler room. It's intent is to 'halt' the operation of the boilers in the room should there be an emergency. He is demanding that I do...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock