Discuss Newbie help - water UFH Anti cycle with Valiant ecotech 831 in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
It depends whether the builder hooked it up to the heating system or not :)

If the builder specified the ufh system to work with the existing system and installed it, including the controls for a single zone, then it would be reasonable (as a consumer) to assume that he knows what we is doing, so it would be the builders responsibility,

If the builder just installed it to the manifold with no additional controls, so it ran as the radiators do (controlled by the hive) and the customer then added a room/zome control for the ufh, either personally, or by employing someone directly to hook it all up, then it will fall on the consumer.

The key things is that the consumer should expect a working system from an 'expert' (builder / plumber / heating engineer), if the client starts adding or specifying elements, then they are taking on the role of the expert. (Which we make clear to our clients the moment they start specifying something we have concerns over :) )

So if the builder either specified , included or offered the extra room control, and didn't mention / make clear the possible consequences, then the builder is responsible.

Last edited:
It depends whether the builder hooked it up to the heating system or not :)

If the builder specified the ufh system to work with the existing system and installed it, including the controls for a single zone, then it would be reasonable (as a consumer) to assume that he knows what we is doing, so it would be the builders responsibility,

If the builder just installed it to the manifold with no additional controls, so it ran as the radiators do (controlled by the hive) and the customer then added a room/zome control for the ufh, either personally, or by employing someone directly to hook it all up, then it will fall on the consumer.

The key things is that the consumer should expect a working system from an 'expert' (builder / plumber / heating engineer), if the client starts adding or specifying elements, then they are taking on the role of the expert. (Which we make clear to our clients the moment they start specifying something we have concerns over :) )

So if the builder either specified , included or offered the extra room control, and didn't mention / make clear the possible consequences, then the builder is responsible.

It was originally installed on the same circuit as the heating but did not want it configured like that as when the UFH was on, the radiators got hot and the house was way too hot. It was then separated out using a zone valve and the actuators.

I sourced and supplied the UFH kit and he just installed it. There was probably a miscommunication as i never specified that i wanted it on a separate circuit - i just assumed this was how it was to work.

Maybe she should have explained the consequences in detail, however there was a million things going on with the extension refit at the time and i think we both just assumed that we both knew how the sytem was going to work.

in terms of fitting the other tank, there really isnt space or anywhere that it could go without a lot of working pipes and deconstruction / reconstruction of the new kitchen I dont think its worth it at this stage, especially if the boiler isnt being damaged or working in an unsafe way.

Yes the floor does get warm and reach temperature but the boiler just cycles (but not as much as it used to).

@Kash thanks for the honesty :) too often we only get half the story.

I would suggest that some very careful balancing of the system so that the house doesn't get hot, just warm when you need it will help reduce the cycling.

Most people don't realise that it is usually more efficient to run a heating systems by altering temperatures during the day, NOT switching it on and off.

Typically we will configure each zone with a least 4 times / temps, getting up, day time, evening, nightime, never actually switching it off, and choosing appropriate temperatures. As they are used at different times during the day we also usually separate upstairs and downstairs doing the same in each.
Where possible we install room by room controls and set multiple times/temps for each and every room, - honeywell evohome will retrofit pn existing trv's.

It will take a while to get it configured just right, though will be worth it in the end.

Once configured, don't play with it!! - Don't let the misses switch it on and off (it takes a while to educate our customers ! )

Our chosen controls: Honeywell evohome and Heatmiser Neo as both offer internet control so can be tweaked remotely (Heatmiser Neo even has a web remotely controlled plug/socket :) )

By doing that
a) you will reduce your overall heating costs
b) have a much more comfortable living environment
c) you will reduce the cycling.

The floor temp really shouldn't be higher that 40°-45° flow (set on the TMV) lowering the boiler temp - so long as the rads also manage to heat the house will also reduce cycling. - Even better if the boiler accepts weather compensation it will reduce the boiler flow temperature automatically.

telling half the story never helps anyone....

part of me think I should have been better informed by the supplier (maybe?) as i explained the current and desired outcomes.

I'll set the TMW to under 50. The boiler is set to 75 for its flow temp - what would be the ideal setting where it wont effect the central heating much?

Been a while since i've been on.

Whilst the boiler still cycles, its much less (seems to have settled itself) and it operates ok.

In hindsight, I wouldnt have had a combi boiler installed as the house has two bathrooms with 2 showers and UFH and think it probably would have been a better solution in the house.

Been a while since i've been on.

Whilst the boiler still cycles, its much less (seems to have settled itself) and it operates ok.

In hindsight, I wouldnt have had a combi boiler installed as the house has two bathrooms with 2 showers and UFH and think it probably would have been a better solution in the house.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Newbie help - water UFH Anti cycle with Valiant ecotech 831 in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

So a strange conundrum regarding water temp if anyone can help resolve, would be much appreciated. Ive tried to give as much info as possible to...
Replies
Views
B
Issue with boiler short cycling in system with hot water tank. We have an ideal heating logic heat2 h15 boiler which feeds a hot water tank...
Replies
Views
M
Hello, We’ve recently moved into a fairly old, fairly big detached house (i.e. fairly draughty, but not too bad by any means) with a fairly new...
Replies
Views
MartinPod81
M
We moved into our flat over the summer and haven’t really used the heating much and no guides or anything we left so really don’t understand how...
Replies
Views
Hi. I have an issue with my Ideal Logic+ System S24 boiler which I hope someone can help with. Below is as much detail as I can think of. The...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock