Search the forum,

Discuss New boiler installed. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Minty!!

Had a new Worcester Bosch 38 CDi fitted today. The installer ran the boiler through it's start up process and ran the boiler at a temperature of 90 degrees for nearly an hour. I was a bit shocked at this and was expecting the central heating system to blow up at any moment as we would normally run the system at around 25 degrees.
After running the system at that temperature for that length of time he then turned down the temperature and announced their is a leak somewhere on the system. All pipework is now concealed making the leak difficult and expensive to find. The system was pressure tested to mains pressure for around four days prior to floors going down.
I am left wondering whether this boiler installer was right to run the system at such a high temperature for so long.

Any pics of the install please ?

90 degrees would be boiler water flow temperature.
Your 25 degees would be room air temperature.

You'd never heat a room to 25 degrees air temperature with a boiler water flow temperature of 25 degrees.

Last edited:
When carrying out the benchmark after installing a new boiler you need to do a number of tests, these include gas rating the appliance. For this you have to run the boiler at maximum for a set period of time before taking the readings.

90 degrees would be boiler water flow temperature.
Your 25 degees would be room air temperature.

You'd never heat a room to 25 degrees air temperature with a boiler water flow temperature of 25 degrees.

Thank you for replying.
So does this mean you would run the system at 90 degrees flow rate for an hour to test the system? Only l have been told a lot of different information ranging from, l've never heard of anyone pushing a boiler that hard on it's initial test, to, it seems a little excessive but the system should handle it. Someone has also told me the boiler should have cut out at 80 degrees for safety reasons. if this is true why would he have left the boiler running at this temperature for so long, could this have caused any damage to the boiler?

Thank you for replying.
So does this mean you would run the system at 90 degrees flow rate for an hour to test the system? Only l have been told a lot of different information ranging from, l've never heard of anyone pushing a boiler that hard on it's initial test, to, it seems a little excessive but the system should handle it. Someone has also told me the boiler should have cut out at 80 degrees for safety reasons. if this is true why would he have left the boiler running at this temperature for so long, could this have caused any damage to the boiler?

Boilers do have an overheat safety cut-out but that is normally higher than 80°. How do you know he ran it at 90°, out of interest?
This won't have been the boiler's initial test, by the way - they are tested at the factory. I've never needed to run at full power for quite that long during commissioning however the boiler and system should be able to handle it.

Who installed and tested the pipework that is now concealed?

Last edited by a moderator:
Boilers do have an overheat safety cut-out but that is normally higher than 80°. How do you know he ran it at 90°, out of interest?
This won't have been the boiler's initial test, by the way - they are tested at the factory. I've never needed to run at full power for quite that long during commissioning however the boiler and system should be able to handle it.

Who installed and tested the pipework that is now concealed?

I'm glad to hear the boiler should cope with it. I know he ran it so high because l was there and asked him if the digital display figure showing 90 was the temperature and he said yes it is. The pipework is half original and half new, which was installed and tested by a different plummer.

The pipework is half original and half new, which was installed and tested by a different plummer.

I thought that might be the case, hence the question. The boiler installer has stress-tested the system because he couldn't be 100% sure of the pipework he was connecting on to. He's found a leak and the responsibility is clear. A few weeks or months down the line and boundaries get blurred in terms of who's liable for problems caused by the leak.

The pressure testing that you previously mentioned - are you sure it was at mains pressure?

Cdi's are one of the only boilers i know you can set to run at 90Âş. Most others will cut of at 82Âş.

It wouldn't make any difference to the pipes.

Only l have been told a lot of different information ranging from, l've never heard of anyone pushing a boiler that hard on it's initial test, to, it seems a little excessive but the system should handle it. Someone has also told me the boiler should have cut out at 80 degrees for safety reasons. if this is true...

That is a lot of information to take on board in one day! You've done well! Any photos, please!?

I thought that might be the case, hence the question. The boiler installer has stress-tested the system because he couldn't be 100% sure of the pipework he was connecting on to. He's found a leak and the responsibility is clear. A few weeks or months down the line and boundaries get blurred in terms of who's liable for problems caused by the leak.

The pressure testing that you previously mentioned - are you sure it was at mains pressure?

Definitely mains pressure, the system was connected directly into the mains water supply for four days. Thank you for your input into this matter, l feel a lot better now knowing the installer was not in the wrong pushing the system so hard and the boiler has been caused no lasting damage. Cheers!

Definitely mains pressure, the system was connected directly into the mains water supply for four days. Thank you for your input into this matter, l feel a lot better now knowing the installer was not in the wrong pushing the system so hard and the boiler has been caused no lasting damage. Cheers!

That is not the recognised pressure testing regime for pipework! Is yours a sealed or open-vented system? Do you have tanks in the loft? Or is there a pressure gauge on the boiler?

Rather than come on the net asking ,would it not be better to get more info out of the installer? lots of opinions can get thrown around when only half a tails been told

4 days... that's a long wait...................................................................................

Everybody seems to be questioning installer however he found a leak for starters and hell of a lot of installers i know don't even test the boiler properly.

At least he tried .

Everybody seems to be questioning installer however he found a leak for starters and hell of a lot of installers i know don't even test the boiler properly.

At least he tried .

Exactly! I think the installer covered his backside. As for the original pipework testing - 4 DAYS?!

its not clear why the pipework was tested for 4 days or who did it, what is clear is that the boiler installer tested the system because he had shunted onto existing and found there to be a problem, I think that you got a good installer and should either ask him his advice as to whom is responsible for the leak and how to go about getting it rectified.

I say fair play to him for actually testing it. People are alway shocked when a leak appears on 30 year old copper pipework...

Did the same installer who fitted the Boiler also fit the pipework?

Is the now covered over pipework Underfloor within the concrete or just covered over by wooden floors?

If UFH in the concrete / screed was the pipework held under pressure whilst the concrete / screed was laid?

Also am I missing the point but if it was constantly connected to the mains what is this going to prove? if there is a leak then the mains pressure will make up the shortfall was there any sort of pressure gauge attached??

Last edited:
Also am I missing the point but if it was constantly connected to the mains what is this going to prove? if there is a leak then the mains pressure will make up the shortfall was there any sort of pressure gauge attached??

Maybe they were hoping to see a wet patch...

I'd say the installer was spot on, probably ran it for an hour at max with chemical cleaner in the system (x800 or similar) to comply with manufacturers guidelines as he couldn't be sure it had been cleaned previously
I'd keep his number if I were you and liase with him in the next course of action to get the leak(s) resoved

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to New boiler installed. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock