Search the forum,

Discuss Motorised valve - How can I control it manually? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

tonyrey

I have a three way motorised valve minus the motor and actuator). I'd be very grateful if anyone can tell me the positions of the control to turn off rads or hot water - or both. It's a Worcester 420302 PMV3 (replacement MPE322)

How to control motorised valve?

I have a Worcester 3-way 420302 pmv3 (replacement MPE322) - minus the motor and actuator. I'd be very grateful if you can tell me which positions are needed to turn off the rads or HW.

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: How to control motorised valve?

I know where the pipes go but not the positions of the valve control. There's no indication of which direction the water is flowing.

the one into the cylinder is hot water, work it out from there.

I'm obviously not very good at explaining myself! I don't know which positions the shaft operated by the motor should be in.

Can you post a pic Tonyrev? Never heard of a worcester 3 way but they all work with the same principle I'd think anyways :26:

q.jpg
I studied in Newcastle way back in the fifties and found the Geordies very warm and homely...

It's not very good but you can probably see the semicircular shaft in the centre. The pipe above is to the pump, on the right to the cylinder and on the left to the rads. I hope that's clear - and thanks for your
interest. :yesnod:

Looks like a danfoss hsa3. If the heads knackered it might not even switch on the boiler. Treat yourself to a new head or a call to somebody to fix it.

The actuator will only go on one way does it not? Two holes match up with the two fix's in the valve plate? Offer the actuator to the plate and look to see where the flat pard of the 'D' hole is. Move the shaft to suite yeh?

The boiler is working perfectly but I want to turn off the rads until I get the valve replaced.

Unfortunately there isn't an actuator! Some one must have thrown it away. I want to turn off the rads in the meantime.

The boiler is working perfectly but I want to turn off the rads until I get the valve replaced.

In that case turn the boiler on, wait for pipe to get warm and see which way it goes, spin until you get it going to hot water only or do what diamondgas has said. But if it's the valve thats goosed rather than the head it may not work. i.e. might not be able to shut off rads. Have you an immersion?, if you have turn boiler off and use immersion until fixed.

It's listed under Baxi spares 3 PORT VALVE BODY MPE322 but unfortunately no longer available.

Not an exact science but the flat part of the 'D' will either point towards the pipe you want closed or will be 45deg to it! I'm raking brains here so may be way out coz uzually you have both parts......... AND it's been some time since I've seen this kind of valve... :skep:

Thanks for the suggestion. At least I have something to work with - out of 8 possibilities. I didn't think it would be a smaller angle than 45 degrees!

I'd turn the boiler on and then experiment with feeling the pipework to see which pipe gets hot when you move the position of the valve. The pipe going to the cylinder will be your hot water and the other will be your heating.

Using the valve manually will mean you will have no control over how hot your water gets. This could lead to pumping over issues or worse. You really need to get a new actuator and get it wired in.

Thanks for telling me, Darren. Could a gate valve in the pipe to the cylinder do the job?

I started experimenting but was afraid I might make a mistake and block the water supply from the pump. So I finished up by draining the system - which cleared some sludge - and removing the pipes to the valve to see what happens. The round side of the shaft is facing the CH pipe when it is closed off with the flat side facing the HW pipe. If the shaft is turned anticlockwise 45 degrees both CH and HW are in operation. Phew! Thanks for your advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Motorised valve - How can I control it manually? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, My current hot water system needs to be replaced. Anyone got any suggestions or can recommend any plumbers around Derrimut area that won't rip me off? An office guy recommended me to apply for government rebates and get it installed through timetosave.com.au. How reliable is this...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Our kitchen mixer tap has started dripping. Like so much of the plumbing in our almost new build bungalow, it is lacking! The plumber didn't install any isolating cocks in the H&C feed to the tap so how can I identify which of the valves is passing? Shut the whole H&C water system down?
Replies
Views
Recently had a Viessmann Vitodens combi boiler installed, quite often when the adjacent cold mixer tap is opened the boiler starts for a few seconds! Can anyone tell me what is causing this? And how to cure?
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock