Search the forum,

Discuss Monobloc basin tap - terrible nightmare - PLEASE HELP ME WITH ADVISE. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

rocketmanbkk

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Dear Friends

Please give me your best advice (I need it).

A customer wanted a new monobloc tap fitted.

Old one out, all OK, new one out of box, fittings all OK.

Put both flexi hoses into screw holes and did up hand tight plus a little.

Connected to pipes, turned water on, leaked, took off, tightened hoses, leaked, tried again and again. Leaked everytime.

Now, i need help!

The flexi hoses when connected to pipes are a little long. i.e. the curl a bit/flex.

The hoses that screw into the tap are as tight as hand tight plus a little, there is no opportunity to tighten them anymore as I cant get to the nut piece.

Should I shorten the copper H&C water pipes so that the hoses are straighter?

I am at a loss, what should have been an easy job is turning into a nightmare! (as always).

Please help me on the one friends.

Kind regards

Rocket

Where is the leak from rocket?

Are the O seals in place/undamaged at the tap end of the flexis?

Is it the hose itself that's leaking, tap innards or joints onto water supply?

As above mate - are the o-rings ok? Maybe you could put a few turns of ptfe around the thread aswell which should sort it.

Jap

Thank you

The hoses are brand new with the tap, o rings look good, the hoses screw into tap head, when the water comes on it looks like the water comes from the bottom of the tap, not the hoses.

I cant be sure but it's what I think. The hoses are screwed in as far as I can get them.

Just cant figure it out

If its the hoses connecting onto the tap that are leaking then a couple of wraps of ptfe ( say that quietly)! If its the pipe connection leaking then cut them back to suit. Don't kink the flexi or it will leak!

OK, Thanks NYSK

Is PTFE OK to put on them, i was considering it but didn't know whether it would do the trick or not.

The bloomin man is looking over my shoulder every 30 seconds!

Done a few of these now but never encountered this.

ptfe will be fine mate - if you really wanted to you could add a lick of jet blue to be 100%

OK, thanks.

I'll cut the pipes so the flexi's are not kinked or bent as much, try a little PTFE when he's not looking and try again.

Thank you or all your help.

Learning hands on, thanks again.

Rocket

let us know mate how u get on. we all get sh** jobs that dont go to plan, just stay calm abd youll b fine

Would be surprised if the length of the H+C would make that much difference tbh, as long as the flexi's arent bent in half that shouldn't be causing the problem. Would it be possible to take the tap back off, and attach the flexi's in a space where you can actually see where the leak is coming from?

It's the tap body itself that's leaking mate not those horrible flexies. Some imported taps are like this......

.....at the base of the tap there is a big silver chrome flange that forms the tap base where it sits on the sink then a rubber washer goes under it. Tighten this flange onto the tap body, it has a screwed thread that if you didn't look for it, you'd never have known it's there! Not too tight but hand tight plus. Kitchen sink taps that swivel from the base are notorious for this. They come loose in transit and also when you're tightening the monoblock rod and nut from underneath and you turn the tap a little when tightening it, they slacken off and lose the seal with the tap body.

If it's not this, then the tap is defective and should be replaced. Wee tip....put some LSX on the threads of the flexies and they'll never leak, but not too much that it can block the tap inlet hole. Also a small fixed head spanner will fit the nut if you need a wee jag up, but they should be handtightened. Many of these tap connectors also now have 2 O rings, check the box they came in!

Last edited by a moderator:
id undo the nut and lift the tap up so i could see exactly whats leaking obviously you have enough slack to do this probably a dodgy casting

if all else fails (think im too late) go to screwfix and get 2 new hoses.
I had this a couple months ago, nothing would seal, felt weak and rubbish.

went to screwfix picked up 2 new hoses, they felt better and stronger. No problems since

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Monobloc basin tap - terrible nightmare - PLEASE HELP ME WITH ADVISE. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Help / advice please? I have attached pics I want to fit a new basin tap. The new tap came with flexible hose. Q1. Pic 1 - the fitting into the tap is recessed - how do I screw in the hose tight enough to 'fit' ? Q2. Pic 2 - shows the current hose fitted to the copper pipe and clearly the new...
Replies
Views
Hello, I need some advise, will greatly appreciate if someone can help. My mixer tap is leaking from base want to renew it. However the tap cold/hot water feed is connected via connectors/fittings as shown in attached picture. Can anyone please advise how to disconnect tap from these fittings as...
Replies
Views
Hi folks I need to fit a kitchen monobloc tap temporarily. A new sink unit will be going in soon so this will just be a stop gap. The current tap is connected with copper down to plastic pipes. I've attached photos below of what's there now and what the new flexi tails look like (is that a...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Hello The existing tap is leaking in the kitchen. Few days back, it randomly let out more water than what it was leaking before and it created a mess. Need some help on replacing a old kitchen tap. Here are some pictures for the old tap and new tap that we have in kitchen. I have also...
Replies
Views
J
I have an Arteform shower valve in my bathroom - top lever for the main shower head, middle for the handheld hose and bottom is the thermostatic control. The hot was not getting hot enough recently so (under instructions from the manufacturer) I removed the allen key valves bottom left and right...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock