Search the forum,

Discuss Monobloc basin tap - terrible nightmare - PLEASE HELP ME WITH ADVISE. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

rocketmanbkk

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Dear Friends

Please give me your best advice (I need it).

A customer wanted a new monobloc tap fitted.

Old one out, all OK, new one out of box, fittings all OK.

Put both flexi hoses into screw holes and did up hand tight plus a little.

Connected to pipes, turned water on, leaked, took off, tightened hoses, leaked, tried again and again. Leaked everytime.

Now, i need help!

The flexi hoses when connected to pipes are a little long. i.e. the curl a bit/flex.

The hoses that screw into the tap are as tight as hand tight plus a little, there is no opportunity to tighten them anymore as I cant get to the nut piece.

Should I shorten the copper H&C water pipes so that the hoses are straighter?

I am at a loss, what should have been an easy job is turning into a nightmare! (as always).

Please help me on the one friends.

Kind regards

Rocket

Where is the leak from rocket?

Are the O seals in place/undamaged at the tap end of the flexis?

Is it the hose itself that's leaking, tap innards or joints onto water supply?

As above mate - are the o-rings ok? Maybe you could put a few turns of ptfe around the thread aswell which should sort it.

Jap

Thank you

The hoses are brand new with the tap, o rings look good, the hoses screw into tap head, when the water comes on it looks like the water comes from the bottom of the tap, not the hoses.

I cant be sure but it's what I think. The hoses are screwed in as far as I can get them.

Just cant figure it out

If its the hoses connecting onto the tap that are leaking then a couple of wraps of ptfe ( say that quietly)! If its the pipe connection leaking then cut them back to suit. Don't kink the flexi or it will leak!

OK, Thanks NYSK

Is PTFE OK to put on them, i was considering it but didn't know whether it would do the trick or not.

The bloomin man is looking over my shoulder every 30 seconds!

Done a few of these now but never encountered this.

ptfe will be fine mate - if you really wanted to you could add a lick of jet blue to be 100%

OK, thanks.

I'll cut the pipes so the flexi's are not kinked or bent as much, try a little PTFE when he's not looking and try again.

Thank you or all your help.

Learning hands on, thanks again.

Rocket

let us know mate how u get on. we all get sh** jobs that dont go to plan, just stay calm abd youll b fine

Would be surprised if the length of the H+C would make that much difference tbh, as long as the flexi's arent bent in half that shouldn't be causing the problem. Would it be possible to take the tap back off, and attach the flexi's in a space where you can actually see where the leak is coming from?

It's the tap body itself that's leaking mate not those horrible flexies. Some imported taps are like this......

.....at the base of the tap there is a big silver chrome flange that forms the tap base where it sits on the sink then a rubber washer goes under it. Tighten this flange onto the tap body, it has a screwed thread that if you didn't look for it, you'd never have known it's there! Not too tight but hand tight plus. Kitchen sink taps that swivel from the base are notorious for this. They come loose in transit and also when you're tightening the monoblock rod and nut from underneath and you turn the tap a little when tightening it, they slacken off and lose the seal with the tap body.

If it's not this, then the tap is defective and should be replaced. Wee tip....put some LSX on the threads of the flexies and they'll never leak, but not too much that it can block the tap inlet hole. Also a small fixed head spanner will fit the nut if you need a wee jag up, but they should be handtightened. Many of these tap connectors also now have 2 O rings, check the box they came in!

Last edited by a moderator:
id undo the nut and lift the tap up so i could see exactly whats leaking obviously you have enough slack to do this probably a dodgy casting

if all else fails (think im too late) go to screwfix and get 2 new hoses.
I had this a couple months ago, nothing would seal, felt weak and rubbish.

went to screwfix picked up 2 new hoses, they felt better and stronger. No problems since

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Monobloc basin tap - terrible nightmare - PLEASE HELP ME WITH ADVISE. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two hole mixer but the cold water pressure is high mains fed and the hot is low pressure immersion tank fed. I've been trying to find info on what I...
Replies
Views
Hi bit of a weird issue, I installed a grohe bathroom tap successfully 2 months ago bought from screwfix. Last week the right hand hot tap makes a squeak noise as I turn it on or off, left tap is 100% perfect and noiseless. This grohe tap is like one unit, so no screw notch or way I can remove...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I'm would like to extend an existing outside tap to another point in the garden. I'm about to pour a concrete patio and was hoping to run the water line underneath. There are existing drain (and who knows what) pipes running along the same wall so I'm nervous about digging too far...
Replies
Views
S
Hi, I seemed to have a blockage in kitchen sink. A plumber came and cleared all the pipework that is visible inside my home (there was debris and pebbles!) We saw that the pipe that takes water down the gutter was visibly full to the top. He said he will return with a coil to push through...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock