Discuss Meggering/insulation testing combis in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

LaMont5way

Hi. I was wondering if any domestic gas service engineers out there megger/insulation test whilst diagnosing boilers or for electrical safety purposes. I have heard before it could damage the appliance but, a domestic boiler is no more sensitive than any other domestic electrical appliance e.g refrigeration, laundry. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

P.s I have already posted this and was told to register to receive advice, I have now done this. And to the person who asked if I would 'megger' a television and at what test voltage; mono 240v 50hz supply to appliance,so for the test you would double this to 500v. I didn't quite understand your question, but, were you suggesting I use a tester with a special I.T test function for boilers because they are like televisions,as opposed to the likes of the Fluke 1577? Cheers.

Hi there LaMont5way and thanks for taking the time register, no we dont use meggers while diagnosing boilers , I have an analogue megger that goes up to 1000v jolt but i only use it when testing water heater element prongs for breaks or cracks etc, when im working on boilers i use my fluke 116 multifunction tester and my fluke T150 , although the 116 does all that needed ,

I'm a monkey, not a spark, if it gets 240v and doesn't move it's funked :D

Stick a megger across a duotec board and you'll be dipping your digits in your pocket for a new one.

Thanks for clearing that up. You would of thought a healthy transformer would be able to cope, but I know from experience in the event of any kind of surge in the supply modern boilers don't fair well. I still think this testing could prove beneficial for diagnosing certain faults like intermittent loom faults due to wiring shorts or even pumps ,fans. As long as you could test circuits/components separately from the pcb/pcb's, right? And thanks again guys.

Thanks for clearing that up. You would of thought a healthy transformer would be able to cope, but I know from experience in the event of any kind of surge in the supply modern boilers don't fair well. I still think this testing could prove beneficial for diagnosing certain faults like intermittent loom faults due to wiring shorts or even pumps ,fans. As long as you could test circuits/components separately from the pcb/pcb's, right? And thanks again guys.

I know looms can go from time to time but mostly in my experience its a functioning part that goes and modern boilers now are easy enough to test the looms continuity with a multimeter, for easyness I do like my fluke t150

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    12 KB · Views: 58
If you could disconnect the board and components then as far as a theory goes it's a grand idea, however the reality of having a kit to suit every manufacturers wiring looms would cost the same as the tester itself thus making it un viable.

Perhaps a hvac specific unit with variable outputs, where you were able to split wiring looms and test 2 leads at a time might prove more practical but quite labour intensive, plus the added ache of getting into the pcb housing on something like a eurocombi or even a chaffataux, it's unlikely to take off or warrant the cost

I know looms can go from time to time but mostly in my experience its a functioning part that goes and modern boilers now are easy enough to test the looms continuity with a multimeter, for easyness I do like my fluke t150

Nice bit of kit that. I just got one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Meggering/insulation testing combis in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

D
Hi all First timer here - after reading a lot of the advice present I thought it would make sense to get stuck in and throw something into the...
Replies
Views
Aquarius
A
U
Hi. I was wondering if any domestic gas service engineers out there megger/insulation test whilst diagnosing boilers or for electrical safety...
Replies
Views
Dotty
D
N
Hi all I am a bit stuck as to the optimal arrangement of pipework of the incoming mains feed prior to arriving at a combi boiler. I have an 25mm...
Replies
Views
F
GC number 4731139 (N.G.) Worcester 35 CDi I am really scratching my head with this one! Firstly wherever I set the temp guage on the boiler for...
Replies
Views
6crazy9
J
Hi to all just to say hell to everyone just a small bit about me I am 30 living in Luton Beds and I am doing ACS training with ATL in southampton...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock