Discuss Locating a gas boiler outside in a leanto-shed in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
H

homeimprover

Hi all, appreciate your expert advice please as to whether it is bad idea or not to locate a new gas condensing combi boiler (probably a Worcester Bosch) outside in a new lean-to wooden shed that will run 8m down the side of the property so the boiler will be fitted to the exterior flank wall of my home but on the outside and vent out through the shed roof.

I've been searching forums but not really found much.

The house is an 1800 sqft mid-end of terrace Edwardian property in London (2 meters from the next terrace start) and will be fully refurbed with a loft conversion, new windows, solid wall insulation etc. and the builder suggests that it is fine to locate the boiler outside in the lean-to. It would be really convenient for me as it would give us some internal layouts that we want.

But I am concerned about:

1. Heat wastage from the boiler itself. I imagine the pipes will be too short to lose anything. I dont want to heat an 8m x 1m shed before heating my home.

2. Frost risk / Condensate exhaust would probably be piped to the end of the shed.

3. Will the boiler get damaged by dust / rust /damp / shorten its lifespan?

4. Is this a stupid idea that I will regret in the future?

many thanks guys

Depends on the shed and if the boiler is OK to install outside the building fabric. What does your builders plumber say?

Ive serviced a good few boilers in out buildings and sheds, to be honest it is not where I would locate my own boiler but appreciate sometimes they have to go in a location that isn't the norm. generally the boilers that I have seen have been in quite poor condition which is mainly due to the conditions they are exposed to. a frost stat is essential as will be correct termination of the condensate, like I say, not my cup of tea but doable

No problem doing it providing pipework gets well lagged. Being a combi though, it's most ideal in a central location so you don't have long legs of pipework to run off for hot water, as that can be quite annoying and wasteful!

thanks Howsie for responding, I think it will be a part block part wooden shed with a felt roof and the quote says "insulated"

Jimbob thanks for responding. This was another reason as it is a central location (middle of the house)

Are you likely to use both the showers/baths at the same time?

yes - just looked at some paperwork the proposed boiler is a vaillant eco plus 937 with built in water storage and it is supposed to be powerful enough to power both showers/baths at the same time.

Just wondering why you think this is relevant to fitting it outdoors????

yes - just looked at some paperwork the proposed boiler is a vaillant eco plus 937 with built in water storage and it is supposed to be powerful enough to power both showers/baths at the same time.

Just wondering why you think this is relevant to fitting it outdoors????

I think it's relevant because your builder/plumber should know all of this and be explaining the pros and cons of the options given.

Personally I only think combination boilers are suitable for small homes with a light hot water demand. If you are running a bath in the winter and someone wants a shower then someone in the house is going to be disappointed.

build a block work boiler house with room for an unvented cyl and system boiler, best of all worlds then.

I agree with lame plumber build it in block and consider an unvented cylinder.

that also but was thinking more along the lines of mowers, tins of paint, bags of rubbish, and other things that just get n the way when any work needs doing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Locating a gas boiler outside in a leanto-shed in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I have a open flue old boiler (natural draft for combustion) installed on outside wall. Before winters want to install a heat only condensing...
Replies
Views
Hi all, Does anyone have any feedback as to which is best. Running the pipe from the outdoor gas meter to a new boiler on an outside wall or run...
Replies
Views
My daughter bought her first home and was hoping to convert to gas but its not available in the area, so thinking a boiler upgrade is the better...
Replies
Views
About 10 months I started having issues with a gas like smell in my home and the gas board was unable to find any gas leak I've still got the...
Replies
Views
N
Our ~15-year-old boiler just broke down (the spark igniter gave out), and set out a discussion to go ahead and replace it, as it's starting to...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock