Search the forum,

Discuss Pros and cons of running boiler gas supply pipe indoors Vs outdoors in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi all,

Does anyone have any feedback as to which is best. Running the pipe from the outdoor gas meter to a new boiler on an outside wall or run the pipe under the floor (suspended timber) which is our existing setup and the new boiler is being sited in same location as old. I ask just in general but also because one contractor wants to charge double for fitting new combi & running the supply under the floor compared to along an outside wall. This is mainly due to unknowns of not knowing situation under floor I believe. Another contractor is not charging more for running under floor which I thought was interesting. Thanks for the advice

One option isn't any better than the other except for ones visual impact on an external wall. I don't like the sound of either quote tbh, one sounds like they might be taking a punt and charging double and the other sounds like they are not charging enough to get the work.

Are you are providing the boiler?

What figures did each quote give you?
I dont want to get into the specific numbers really. I was more intereated in whether one method is better than the other. I assume for any maintenance running pipes externally is better for the plumber but then it weathers more than being under floor and is more unsightly, I guess those are the differences..

One option isn't any better than the other except for ones visual impact on an external wall. I don't like the sound of either quote tbh, one sounds like they might be taking a punt and charging double and the other sounds like they are not charging enough to get the work.

Are you are providing the boiler?
They are providing the new boiler in either case. I suspect one basically doesn't want the hassle of pulling up floors when there is a much easier option so he's saying under floor would be double price to put us off is my feeling, I realise it would add time but there is a route already there so it has been done in the past. It's not starting anew.

Using my house for an example. Boiler in the kitchen at the back, gas box at the front.

2 people required to move furniture to get to carpet, peel carpet back neatly. 1hr of labour

Lift floor boards which run the wrong way to the run. 20+ boards all to be cut and de-nailed. 1.5 hrs of labour

Remove old gas pipe, drill bigger holes through noggins get clip run set up core through wall in larger duct for bigger pipe. 1.5hrs of labour

Fit new pipe at 5m including maybe 6 fittings to get it out of the wall. 1hr of labour

Put back all the boards, drilling and screwing, vacuum, put carpet back and move furniture (again 2 people) 1.5hrs labour

That's just the lounge, you've then got the hall way and the kitchen to do of which the kitchen isn't carpet so laminate flooring would need to be lifted and re-laid. If you have chipboard flooring instead of floorboards then you need to allow a couple sheets of chipboard into the price and add another 1hr of labour.

Realistically I would have 2 people one working from each room and knock off the pipe run in a day which would be 2 days labour.

Using my house for an example. Boiler in the kitchen at the back, gas box at the front.

2 people required to move furniture to get to carpet, peel carpet back neatly. 1hr of labour

Lift floor boards which run the wrong way to the run. 20+ boards all to be cut and de-nailed. 1.5 hrs of labour

Remove old gas pipe, drill bigger holes through noggins get clip run set up core through wall in larger duct for bigger pipe. 1.5hrs of labour

Fit new pipe at 5m including maybe 6 fittings to get it out of the wall. 1hr of labour

Put back all the boards, drilling and screwing, vacuum, put carpet back and move furniture (again 2 people) 1.5hrs labour

That's just the lounge, you've then got the hall way and the kitchen to do of which the kitchen isn't carpet so laminate flooring would need to be lifted and re-laid. If you have chipboard flooring instead of floorboards then you need to allow a couple sheets of chipboard into the price and add another 1hr of labour.

Realistically I would have 2 people one working from each room and knock off the pipe run in a day which would be 2 days labour.
That's good insight thanks. My incling is to have the pipework under the floor despite the mess and work.

That's good insight thanks. My incling is to have the pipework under the floor despite the mess and work.
There have been some press reports of copper thieves ripping gas pipes off the side of houses in the UK. The fact it's a news story probably means it's not that common but it's another reason to go inside if you can afford to.

There have been some press reports of copper thieves ripping gas pipes off the side of houses in the UK. The fact it's a news story probably means it's not that common but it's another reason to go inside if you can afford to.
That's a fair point, hadnt thought of that but have heard of such things.

Sorry one last related question on this. We've been given option to either just replace the boiler and gas supply pipe to it or do a full replumb of the central heating and new rads. We're on 8mm mircobore now. I don't have any experience of either and wondering to what extent the house can be put back afterwards without damage to flooring/walls etc. Basically we can't afford to fully refurbish property but would like to get the fundamentals right i.e. electrics and central heating/hot water but not if that means living with holes in walls, floors not put back or damaged. I imagine this is an issue for a lot of customers? We could save and try to do full refurb in one go but I think I'd rather do it in bits and less bothered about cosmetic look of the place to an extent but can only live with so many pipes exposed etc

What are they planning on re pipe if it with copper ? Plastic etc

Aslong as it’s not 10mm plastic

Reply to Pros and cons of running boiler gas supply pipe indoors Vs outdoors in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello all, I'm would like to extend an existing outside tap to another point in the garden. I'm about to pour a concrete patio and was hoping to run the water line underneath. There are existing drain (and who knows what) pipes running along the same wall so I'm nervous about digging too far...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16 mm copper water pipe. I exposed the pipe by removing a ~30cm section of the plastic sleeve and a ~10 cm section of the pipe around the hole. Several...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock