Search the forum,

Discuss Room sealed boiler - location in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

I have a open flue old boiler (natural draft for combustion) installed on outside wall. Before winters want to install a heat only condensing boiler (room sealed), cannot install it at the current location as it is open to weather effects (rain and sun light in summers).
I cannot install it in kitchen as it is at the farthest end of the central heating pipes, can a room sealed boiler be installed under a covered balcony (with lots of ventillation but safe from rain and frost) as gas connections and pipes for central heating are available? Would a flue still be required for air intake in semi opened environment?

Secondly, it is not going to be installed in UK and will be fitted by a gas technician in my home country.
Thanks

You need to check the instructions but I have in the past installed on the outside of an external wall and built a weather proof box for the boiler. Still needs a flue.

Ok. Thanks does installing it outside have any effect on efficiency or gas consumption? This is the place where I intend to install a condensing boiler (room sealed). Same location different angles; pic 2 is taking from the window and pic 1 is from the opposite direction. This is a closed balcony so shouldn't be an issue even if I don't weather proof it?

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2023-08-02 at 10.20.04 AM.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2023-08-02 at 10.20.04 AM.jpeg
    86.1 KB · Views: 26
  • WhatsApp Image 2023-08-02 at 10.20.04 AM (1).jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2023-08-02 at 10.20.04 AM (1).jpeg
    78.9 KB · Views: 26
Ok. Thanks does installing it outside have any effect on efficiency or gas consumption?
The losses through the casing of the boiler, which are around 1% (ballpark figure) for a modern boiler, will be moved outside the thermal envelope of the building. If you need to heat the enclosure, e.g. to ensure frost-protection, this will also reduce the system 'efficiency'.

The losses through the casing of the boiler, which are around 1% (ballpark figure) for a modern boiler, will be moved outside the thermal envelope of the building. If you need to heat the enclosure, e.g. to ensure frost-protection, this will also reduce the system 'efficiency'.
Thanks. I thought so and you have confirmed it, since it will be placed outside the thermal envelope of the structure the losses will be minimal considering that I'll be moving from a G-rated boiler to a A- boiler which will be in the 85-90% efficiency range.

Thanks. I thought so and you have confirmed it, since it will be placed outside the thermal envelope of the structure the losses will be minimal considering that I'll be moving from a G-rated boiler to a A- boiler which will be in the 85-90% efficiency range.
I would still be inclined to build an insulated box for it as that area is technically outside.

I’m this instance, the box isn’t for waterproofing but insulation. The box should also cover the pipework (which should go immediately from the boiler into the property). This gives good frost protection.

I would still be inclined to build an insulated box for it as that area is technically outside.

I’m this instance, the box isn’t for waterproofing but insulation. The box should also cover the pipework (which should go immediately from the boiler into the property). This gives good frost protection.
Understood, will built something to insulate boiler and pipework as well. Much appreciated.

Following on from my earlier post, the boiler will be installed at this location since it has gas, condensate and other connections on first floor. (first photo)

I understand that by installing boiler at this location I need to raise the feed tank above the boiler.

My previous boiler was open flue boiler with an internal grundfos pump and boiler is installed below this balcony.

Based on VCP priniciple, I have marked proposed location of the pump (2nd photo), is this correct location for the pump? Secondly, the pump will be on the flow from boiler.

This will not be installed in UK so regulations don't apply where I live but I want to follow the safe and best industry practices used elsewhere or in UK. I will not be doing this work by myself but will hire someone to do it for me based on the recommendations.

Thanks in advance for any inputs and recommendations.

Attachments

• boiler location.jpg
    boiler location.jpg
    227.6 KB · Views: 17
  • pump location.jpg
    pump location.jpg
    286.5 KB · Views: 16
I don’t understand why you don’t leave all of this to the installer - most of us don’t like it when a customer tries to tell us how to do our jobs, especially when they don’t know what they’re talking about…

I don’t understand why you don’t leave all of this to the installer - most of us don’t like it when a customer tries to tell us how to do our jobs, especially when they don’t know what they’re talking about…
Fair point. There is a dearth of heating engineers and installers in this part of the world. I contacted central heating installers in my area (Northern Pakistan) and they apologized that they cannot do it since I have imported boiler from UK. I have a lot of respect for installers or professionals in central heating system but there aren't many in where I live.

I will not be installing it myself but one 'professional' that came for installation wanted to install the pump on the return line; didn't know about positive suction pressure or point of no pressure change in the system.

I have learned through these forums and books that proper installation is paramount to a highly efficient system. I have gone throuh a lot of reading material to get basic understanding but hydronics and pipework is way over my head hence these questions.

Reply to Room sealed boiler - location in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I want to reconnect some outbuildings to an existing water supply. The supply pipe is old 22mm MDPE and buried for a fair distance so not going to dig it up and replace it 😬. Question is can I use normal 22mm plumbing push-fit connectors to make the connection as finding 22mm MDPE fittings...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock