Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss Leaker isolater valve open or closed in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Gazman44

Firstly great place for plumbing idiots like me to get answers!

We discovered a leak above our airing cupboard, after much investigation and tearing up loft insulation, ripping off pipe cladding etc offending pipe and location found.

The leak is coming from the screw part of an isolator valve on a pipe coming from the smaller of the two tanks in the loft (which I believe from my reading here is a the central heating expansion tank).

The screw has give in it and pushing it inwards makes the leak worse, equally turning it to (what should be ) the closed position make it worse too. If I turn it hard to be parallel with the pipe (open I assume) the leaking stops.

Presumably regardless of this stopping the leak the isolator valve will need to be replaced.

What I would like to know is the valve open or closed as I can't figure out where that pipe goes, it by passes the airing cupboard and heads straight off downstairs into the cavity, last thing I want to do is damage the central heating if a valve is closed which should be open or vice versa!

Now I know changing this should be a simple job (please read line one) but typically how long would it take a plumber to do this sort of job?

Any assistance happily received....

Hello Gazman :welcome: to the forum,
is this the cold water feeding into the float valve on the f+e cistern?
if so it should be open that is parallel to the pipe.
they do leak when turned, if its not leaking when open then what's the problem?
the time to change is dependant on how easy to turn of the cold water before the valve,
the job of swapping a couple of minutes.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply. Not sure which pipe it is, will head on up into the loft tomorrow.

I agree if it is indeed open no problem, I just really want to confirm it is open.

Will confirm which pipe it is tomorrow.

Thanks again

if you not sure take a few pictures to put on the forum and then you will be able to get better advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Leaker isolater valve open or closed in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

hi all, i need help to fix the leak from a pipe connected to the water pump via flexi pipe and it is feed from the immersion heater. I have...
Replies
Views
The pipework around the hot water tank in the airing cupboard has developed several leaks after a chemical flush. It's an open vented system...
Replies
Views
Hi I'm going to replace the 3 way vale on my open heating system. Hoping someone can advise. In the picture, to isolate the valve I am going to...
Replies
Views
I have a Vaillant eco plus 837, year installed 2008. It works well. We have one large zone for the house with 13 rads running off it. We also...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, I turned my cold water feed off in the airing cupboard which supplies only cold water to my bathroom but it also turned the water to...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock